Recruiting question

Cribby

All-American
Premium
If a kid is kicked off as a Fr or Soph, when does their spot open up in the recruiting numbers? Say they're kicked off in Sep, that extra spot doesn't open up that next nsd correct? Or am I wrong?

Advertisement
If a kid is kicked off as a Fr or Soph, when does their spot open up in the recruiting numbers? Say they're kicked off in Sep, that extra spot doesn't open up that next nsd correct? Or am I wrong?

There are two rules.

First, you cannot award more than 85 scholarships in any given year.

Second, you can only have 25 "initial counters" each year. The rule has complex wording, but the simple answer is that if a kid leaves, you don't get to take 26 in the next year (and, yes, I realize that you can count some of the January enrollees "forward", but that's not the issue here). The ONLY "substitution rule" under the IC rules is for a player who graduates in December.

Yes, you can technically give that open scholarship away in the next recruiting class IF IF IF you are OK and have space under the IC rules.

And to make the math simple, if you took 25 kids per year for 5 years, and everyone "stayed" for 5 years, that would mean you have 125 players. So you have 40 spots that can be lost (or "must" be lost) to attrition. If you lose more than 40 guys over 5 years, you will struggle to stay at 85 scholarships.

There are two rules.

Second, you can only have 25 "initial counters" each year. The rule has complex wording, but the simple answer is that if a kid leaves, you don't get to take 26 in the next year (and, yes, I realize that you can count some of the January enrollees "forward", but that's not the issue here). The ONLY "substitution rule" under the IC rules is for a player who graduates in December.

Yes, you can technically give that open scholarship away in the next recruiting class IF IF IF you are OK and have space under the IC rules.

And to make the math simple, if you took 25 kids per year for 5 years, and everyone "stayed" for 5 years, that would mean you have 125 players. So you have 40 spots that can be lost (or "must" be lost) to attrition. If you lose more than 40 guys over 5 years, you will struggle to stay at 85 scholarships.

So if UF has the numbers they can use this upcoming class to fill spots of the guys that were just kicked off?

I ask because my friend ( a gator ) says this class will now be huge with all the kids gone. I thought you couldn't use those spots immediately.

There are two rules.

So if UF has the numbers they can use this upcoming class to fill spots of the guys that were just kicked off?

I ask because my friend ( a gator ) says this class will now be huge with all the kids gone. I thought you couldn't use those spots immediately.

They'd have to EE which would count against the previous class. You can't just sign 35 kids in one class.

There are two rules.

They'd have to EE which would count against the previous class. You can't just sign 35 kids in one class.

Yeah I knew that , I just thought there was some rule that didn't allow a particular scholly open after kicking a kid off . I guess I figured you'd had to wait longer before the spot was open. I don't know where I got it from, I must've been tripping .

Advertisement

There are two rules.

Your friend is delusional. The Gators have been signing max classes (without NCAA sanctions) for years. Plus, the SEC has a rule against oversigning.

The Gaytors will be able to sign 25 at the max, same as everyone else.

The Gaytor fans will continue to lie about everything. Soon, they will have you convinced that they will be able to sign 35 guys that are all flipped from the Top 10 recruiting classes in the country.

There are two rules.

Yeah I knew that , I just thought there was some rule that didn't allow a particular scholly open after kicking a kid off . I guess I figured you'd had to wait longer before the spot was open. I don't know where I got it from, I must've been tripping .

Challenge your dipsh!t Gaytor friend to explain the Initial Counter rules. In his own words. Without Googling.

Gaytors will sign 25, plus whatever number of guys graduate in December. Which, at the rate their upperclassmen are being charged with felonies, might be zero.

There are two rules.

Your friend is delusional. The Gators have been signing max classes (without NCAA sanctions) for years. Plus, the SEC has a rule against oversigning.

The Gaytors will be able to sign 25 at the max, same as everyone else.

The Gaytor fans will continue to lie about everything. Soon, they will have you convinced that they will be able to sign 35 guys that are all flipped from the Top 10 recruiting classes in the country.

I told him there's a 25 player max and he kinda poo poo'd that . I was like well I know that's a fact , I'm not100% sure on the spots being available for kids being kicked off immediately. But I thought there was a penalty for that.

So no caveats on this? Like if uf had 50 players sent to prison would there be some loophole or would they have to play down 25+ players?

Obviously this is just a fictional scenario and won't really happen next year.

Advertisement
So no caveats on this? Like if uf had 50 players sent to prison would there be some loophole or would they have to play down 25+ players?

Obviously this is just a fictional scenario and won't really happen next year.

No caveats. Been trying to tell people this for years, when they get all tuff and talk about how good it is that we lose players for various reasons ("Player X wasn't good enough to play at Miami, we are better off now").

Staying at 85 RECRUITED scholarship players is tough if you don't scout well and make good choices on who to sign.

Bottom line is that UF can't just dismiss 50 kids and then sign 75. No loopholes. No excuses. No pity.

Advertisement
Back