Recruiting numbers

It's all good. It does sound "too cute". But in this rare case, I actually believe it to be true. Every single year kids leave the program, both planned and unplanned. Who would have ever thought Cam and Tae Williams would be off the team? Of course you don't magically make spots appear. But spots do appear. And you can force the issue if needed for kids like Hillery who if he hasn't already graduated will have by the end of this academic year.

TOC already mentioned the Hendersons. My guy is Tarbor. And I'd like a third DE given how top heavy this class is. I wouldn't mind a Striker either, and there's a local kid we could grab if we could make room. ... All these kids would improve the quality of the team overall.

Exactly.

First of all, we only have 87 schollie players now and that includes Ryan Ragone and Clay James. Any number over this is just walk ons granted one year schollies as a reward.

Secondly, there are a ton of players who will have earned their degrees after this year who wont need to be renewed for next year or will try their luck in the pros. Lots of 4th year JRs, even a 4th year SO in Frierson, in addition to all the SRs and 5th year SRs.

Of the 87 kids, i think we lose 25 to graduation, transfer, early NFL, etc. Which leaves 62 returning and a class of 23 possible even without increasing the 85 man limit.

Here are the likely departures:
King
Matocha
Cam Harris
Mallory
Harley
Rambo
Pope
Wiggins
Jarrid Williams
Donaldson
Herbert
McCloud
Deondra Johnson
Silvera
Ford
Jennings
Steed
Frierson
Carter
Bolden
Hall
Stevenson
Blades
Ivey
Hedley
Ragone

Advertisement
23 is the max unless we eat into the ‘23 class which isn’t a great idea.

grover, I’ll plus 1 on the need for 3 DE for a couple reasons. 1, Stewart could be a 3tech. 2. Outside of Brooks (maybe), we don’t have many OLB types that will grow into DE similar to McCloud, Phillips, Roche.

He’s one I’m sure will get flakey once they have their 3 win season
I hear what you are saying but from the kid’s perspective the depth chart has to be pretty attractive right now. He can see the field next year as a true freshman and I’m sure that’s very attractive.

Advertisement
Exactly.

First of all, we only have 87 schollie players now and that includes Ryan Ragone and Clay James. Any number over this is just walk ons granted one year schollies as a reward.

Secondly, there are a ton of players who will have earned their degrees after this year who wont need to be renewed for next year or will try their luck in the pros. Lots of 4th year JRs, even a 4th year SO in Frierson, in addition to all the SRs and 5th year SRs.

Of the 87 kids, i think we lose 25 to graduation, transfer, early NFL, etc. Which leaves 62 returning and a class of 23 possible even without increasing the 85 man limit.

Here are the likely departures:
King
Matocha
Cam Harris
Mallory
Harley
Rambo
Pope
Wiggins
Jarrid Williams
Donaldson
Herbert
McCloud
Deondra Johnson
Silvera
Ford
Jennings
Steed
Frierson
Carter
Bolden
Hall
Stevenson
Blades
Ivey
Hedley
Ragone
Thank you. I see it like this as well. Manny Diaz signs less than 21-23 and he’s doing a disservice to his team and fan base as the team will not be at full capacity in 2022…

I have read anywhere from 90-96 players currently on scholarship but I believe that a number of those are walk-ons who got awarded left over scholarship slots. Technically, there's only a small handful of guys who would have completely exhausted their eligibility after this season. King, Jarrid Williams, McCloud, Carter, Donaldson and I believe Deandre Johnson. Every other senior could still play another season. Remember, everyone who played in 2020 got to play that year for free. It did not count against their eligibility. I'm sure that some guys will declare early. Some guys will hit the portal too but those numbers are just speculation right now. If the NCAA is going to take a hardline 85 scholarship limit again in 2022, then there's going to be some interesting scenarios.
Correct me if I’m wrong, and sorry if I missed it, but as it is, the 22 class + this years roster minus attrition (grads etc) must = 85 next year at some point?

I’ve posted multiple times that this class could be on the smaller side , maybe twenty tops. Even cooney has mentioned as low as sixteen. Well throw all of that out the window . If anyone posts or tweets anything about knowing the numbers they’re straight up lying. At this point the staff isn’t even sure , there’s multiple things in play , not including the possible numbers increase. This is why recruiting has been hot n cold, they’re being VERY picky. Af this point they’ll only accept guys at the top of their board.

As I’ve mentioned in the past they’re expecting a good season and wanted to play off that momentum. So in the short term I wouldn’t expect a run of commitments. So I’d expect the same methodical type recruiting season we’ve been having for a little bit.
I’ve got us at 91-92 presently.

Not being a **** but you have 85 and the 25 “ the numbers just work themselves out “ is just something cute to say. They come from somewhere. You just don’t magically make spots appear. It would idiotic to use spots for the ‘23 class when it’s absolutely loaded. It’s kinda like everyone getting boners for every kid that hits the portal. You have to be responsible. If five stars want in you use some spots from ‘23 but taking spots from the next year just to do it is just irresponsible.
I agree. But I also feel like in a way it's like the NFL salary cap where you can technically keep kicking the can down the road before you have to pick it up.. Like sure we'd be taking from '23, but then in '23 we can just take from '24 lol.

Advertisement
I have read anywhere from 90-96 players currently on scholarship but I believe that a number of those are walk-ons who got awarded left over scholarship slots. Technically, there's only a small handful of guys who would have completely exhausted their eligibility after this season. King, Jarrid Williams, McCloud, Carter, Donaldson and I believe Deandre Johnson. Every other senior could still play another season. Remember, everyone who played in 2020 got to play that year for free. It did not count against their eligibility. I'm sure that some guys will declare early. Some guys will hit the portal too but those numbers are just speculation right now. If the NCAA is going to take a hardline 85 scholarship limit again in 2022, then there's going to be some interesting scenarios.

Donaldson could come back if he wanted.

I agree. But I also feel like in a way it's like the NFL salary cap where you can technically keep kicking the can down the road before you have to pick it up.. Like sure we'd be taking from '23, but then in '23 we can just take from '24 lol.
People are also forgetting portal spots, which will happen. 3-5 Spots.

Correct me if I’m wrong, and sorry if I missed it, but as it is, the 22 class + this years roster minus attrition (grads etc) must = 85 next year at some point?
I believe that is correct. By the start of the 2022-2023 season, everyone has to be back to 85 scholarships total

People are also forgetting portal spots, which will happen. 3-5 Spots.
Could be even more. If we are planning to lose 7-10 starting players this year and 20 or so on the 2 deep, I don’t see Manny just throwing all of those openings at the freshman and sophomores. So far that hasn’t been his M.O.. I want to say he’s learned his lesson about pulling I.C.s from future years and the only way to not run into that problem again would be to have enough spots to get ALL of the portal players he wants.

Advertisement
Could be even more. If we are planning to lose 7-10 starting players this year and 20 or so on the 2 deep, I don’t see Manny just throwing all of those openings at the freshman and sophomores. So far that hasn’t been his M.O.. I want to say he’s learned his lesson about pulling I.C.s from future years and the only way to not run into that problem again would be to have enough spots to get ALL of the portal players he wants.
Problem with portal is there is no guarantee there will be studs for us to sign that also want to come here.Just look at this off season,we thought for sure Diaz was going to bring a stud MLB and maybe another DE and nothing became available.If we can convince 20+ high school studs to sing in december,take them.

It's impossible, not even Bama has 85 difference makers.

Sometimes you need a solid rotational kid that can give you quality minutes when your stars go down. If you dont get these kinds of kids, who is gonna come in when someone gets tired or hurt? Or God forbid suspended or expelled? You'll be left with Plan F walkons if you dont lock down your Plan B kids.
Bama has a 90 plus % blue chip ratio RN. They don’t take reaches at all. This staff seem beyond taking the gray crows, Dwayne holliets or Nate dortches just to fill up a class. We are in a position to be picky. Imo it’s the correct approach if the end game is to annually compete with Clem. And as stated previously the 23 class is loaded

Advertisement
Bama has a 90 plus % blue chip ratio RN. They don’t take reaches at all. This staff seem beyond taking the gray crows, Dwayne holliets or Nate dortches just to fill up a class. We are in a position to be picky. Imo it’s the correct approach if the end game is to annually compete with Clem. And as stated previously the 23 class is loaded

Wut? Who mentioned blue chip ratio? We're talking "difference makers" just because you're a blue chip doesnt make you a "difference maker". Bama doesnt have 85 difference makers on the team, they have great players, good backups, and flops that end up buried or transferring just like everyone else.

And no one is mentioning Gray Crow or Dortch ffs. We're talking about Tarber, Lyons, Durant, Eugenio, kids we could have gotten. Take one DT and DE, then shoot for the moon with the Stewart's Kelly's and Lucas's.

Wut? Who mentioned blue chip ratio? We're talking "difference makers" just because you're a blue chip doesnt make you a "difference maker". Bama doesnt have 85 difference makers on the team, they have great players, good backups, and flops that end up buried or transferring just like everyone else.

And no one is mentioning Gray Crow or Dortch ffs. We're talking about Tarber, Lyons, Durant, Eugenio, kids we could have gotten. Take one DT and DE, then shoot for the moon with the Stewart's Kelly's and Lucas's.
Do you see how much hype we give our 2 5 stars??..Bama has those kids with that type talent on their 3rd team..they have a plethora of that talent so there’s no expectations for every single one of those guys to be day one difference makers…that Depth is the DIFFERENCE MAKER that separates them from 98% of CFb. Those kids wit that baseline athletic profile generally are the difference makers…no rosters has ever had “85 difference makers” at once.

tabor is not a scheme fit here. Durant is solid. Lyons, I don’t see him as a difference maker. Are stars and the recruiting industry the end al be all when it comes to success at the next level, no. But there’s no question the more you have on your roster=championship success. That’s just a fact..so here, I want even our rotational guys guys to have blue chip type talent..just like the OSUs and Bamas..that’s how you compete for playoffs annually

The thing is, right now they are over 85 scholarships. I believe they're at 91. There's a handful of guys who will have exhausted their eligibility at the end of this year but a majority of the roster will still have at least one more year to play. I have no idea why previous staffs would purposefully limit numbers besides NCAA sanctions but they aren't below the threshold anymore.

I have us at 91 as well. Was 95, minus Few, Tae, Cam, Peyton. We have 3 that will have exhausted eligibility and 5 more if they play more than 4 games: Harley, Donaldson, Ford, Carter, McCloud (RS), King (RS), Rambo, Williams (RS).

Without getting into the weeds, it just took this long to recover from the sanctions. Portal is great for short-term talent but crushes your counters.I haven't looked at Bama, UGA, OSU... but I'd have to bet that Miami has a higher turn-over rate than any top program: medicals (way too many), transfers out (lots), portal kids in (lots) with only 1-2 years at Miami, NFL departures after 3 years (way too many)...

Advertisement
Back