Recruiting " Miami " guys

D

deleted4920

Theres always discussions as to what or who makes up a " Miami kid". Most of the opinions incorrectly talk about " thug mentality" and things like that.

To me, another element of the inept coaching we have endured since Coker involves the failure to recruit a " Miami type kid" and offering players who don't fit that mold.

What is, IMO, a Miami type player?

Hungry
Aggressive
****y
HARD WORKING
Competitive
Us against the world mentality

Miami IS a different program than most for obvious reasons- big city vs rural, lots of temptations and distractions that for an unfocused 18 y/o kid, can become and do become a problem. I think our closest similarity is USC/ UCLA . But that's about it.

Now, the characteristics I listed are not novel ,and EVERY program wants that, but we HAVE to have those kids or else they get caught up in the Miami lifestyle and don't put in work, and then get run over on Saturdays.

IMO as we discuss recruiting , sure , who doesn't want a 5 star OL or RB from Ohio or Tennessee ; but what do you do when those blue chips aren't signing ( and they simply aren't)?

I would take a chance all day long on a 3 star from South Florida with a chip on his shoulders than chase a 4 from somewhere else. I know we have signed dozens of great Canes outside of Sofla, and that's not my point. My point is we have to get back to those classes that JJ , Schnells, Erickson and Butch signed. Kids who wanted to be here, who had a chip on their shoulder( Ed Reed, Ray Lewis and yes I know- Louisiana and Lakeland) .

Those kids are what I consider Miami guys, guys who know we are hated, that we are considered thugs, who never get close calls, and know they have to OUT WORK the opposition. That's what the Ervins and Blades and James's did - out worked you.

I hope we focus on hungry, competitive , scrappy local kids that WANT to be here even if they are 3 stars and forget about chasing pipe dreams .

Advertisement
Theres always discussions as to what or who makes up a " Miami kid". Most of the opinions incorrectly talk about " thug mentality" and things like that.

To me, another element of the inept coaching we have endured since Coker involves the failure to recruit a " Miami type kid" and offering players who don't fit that mold.

Hungry
Aggressive
****y
HARD WORKING
Competitive

Not for nothing but virtually every major program out there is looking for kids like this.

Very few guys left out there with the “dog in them” we saw 20 years ago.

The ONLY recipe for success today is to bring in massive amounts of talented players every single year then have the ones who can’t cut it filter out.

Advertisement
Richt doesn’t know what a Miami guy is; being real honest, no shade.

It’s funny (ironic) b/c we set the blue print of what a Miami guy is that other teams copied. Now we’re seeing Miami guys playing the enemy.

You need a savage coach in order to identify a Miami guy.

Hungry
Aggressive
****y
HARD WORKING
Competitive

Miami IS a different program than most for obvious reasons- big city vs rural, lots of temptations and distractions that for an unfocused 18 y/o kid, can become and do become a problem. I think our closest similarity is USC/ UCLA . But that's about it.

Now, the characteristics I listed are not novel ,and EVERY program wants that, but we HAVE to have those kids or else they get caught up in the Miami lifestyle and don't put in work, and then get run over on Saturdays.

IMO as we discuss recruiting , sure , who doesn't want a 5 star OL or RB from Ohio or Tennessee ; but what do you do when those blue chips aren't signing ( and they simply aren't)?

I would take a chance all day long on a 3 star from South Florida with a chip on his shoulders than chase a 4 from somewhere else. I know we have signed dozens of great Canes outside of Sofla, and that's not my point. My point is we have to get back to those classes that JJ , Schnells, Erickson and Butch signed. Kids who wanted to be here, who had a chip on their shoulder( Ed Reed, Ray Lewis and yes I know- Louisiana and Lakeland) .

Those kids are what I consider Miami guys, guys who know we are hated, that we are considered thugs, who never get close calls, and know they have to OUT WORK the opposition. That's what the Ervins and Blades and James's did - out worked you.

I hope we focus on hungry, competitive , scrappy local kids that WANT to be here even if they are 3 stars and forget about chasing pipe dreams .

4217CF01-4417-41CD-ABEB-EAC99D5B4715.gif

There are lot of Miami guys a lot. What we don’t have is Miami team anymore. We have no longer have a home base!!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back