**Recruiting Elite talent**

337CaneNation

Sophomore
As a Miami fan, recruiting elite talent is the "goal"!! I just see some thread where some ppl think it's impossible for Miami to get certain recruit's because of other recruit's are committed or targeted.. For me, It's All About The U!! Why is it impossible for Miami to sign McIntosh, Crowley, Sanders and Richards?? I don't think it's impossible.. It's just sometimes its crazy that some ppl think it's impossible for Miami to do what we see other elite programs do all the time.. I think when it comes to that, that's a really good problem to have, it's just up to the coaching staff to find ways to make problems like that work!! Make these kid's buy in to it, just because he all are RBs doesn't mean that you can't all play for the University of Miami, make them understand that HEY, we can play you are a different position and you will be just as good or better for our team.. We see it all the time!! NOW IF a recruit is scared of competing and working for a spot, then we shouldn't want him here..

These are not bad problems to have, because a lot of these recruit's have to tools and ability to play more than one position at the next level anyway, SO it's really up to the recruiters to make them understand that.. I just always wanted to speak on these, because so many times I have read threads on these sites and see fans say "a certain recruit won't come to Miami because we have certain recruit's committed"!! I just think it's always in the teams best interest to get the best players no matter what they play in HS, because IF a recruit is a stud "we should want him".. To me it's all about getting the best and playing the best 11 players..

When I think about this problem, I think about Bama.. They recruit the top classes year in and year out, and they move players around to make sure they are putting the best 11 on the field.. And at the same time, they have the most transfers yearly, I hate to say it BUT that's just the way it is.. Every year it's a new year in recruiting, and it's all about getting the best players we can get, SO IF transfers happen that's the beauty of getting the best players.. NOT INTENDING THIS THREAD TOWARD ANYONE, JUST SOMETHING THAT'S BEEN ON MY MIND FOR A WHILE!!

Advertisement
We don’t have the bag game that other major programs are allowed to have. We will get a lot of elite recruits, but we will never get them all. Too many variables out of our control.

We don’t have the bag game that other major programs are allowed to have. We will get a lot of elite recruits, but we will never get them all. Too many variables out of our control.
I know we want get them all, no doubt.. BUT Miami can definitely get their share!! Some ppl just don't that possible.

Advertisement
I know we want get them all, no doubt.. BUT Miami can definitely get their share!! Some ppl just don't that possible.
Don't have to look any further back than this last class to see we can land elite talent. We got pretty much every target on the O side of the ball.

SFL football players are mercenaries. Plain and simple. Can you imagine how coddled these high school kids are now that they can transfer at the drop of the hat if the coach tells them to go run laps.

SFL football players are mercenaries. Plain and simple. Can you imagine how coddled these high school kids are now that they can transfer at the drop of the hat if the coach tells them to go run laps.

They’re so “coddled” that they end up starring at major programs all across the country.

Advertisement
Mostly agree with your take all the talent you can get regardless of position. However this class must be trench heavy so if that means leaving out an athlete im all for it. One thing im sure you would agree with me on is we can't be taking guys on signing day like Bethel and Miller and talk them up. Miami should be better than that, that is a Golden move. Stack chips with versatile elite talent so that when attrition occurs your not hurting. We can no longer waste scholarships on JAGs.

Mostly agree with your take all the talent you can get regardless of position. However this class must be trench heavy so if that means leaving out an athlete im all for it. One thing im sure you would agree with me on is we can't be taking guys on signing day like Bethel and Miller and talk them up. Miami should be better than that, that is a Golden move. Stack chips with versatile elite talent so that when attrition occurs your not hurting. We can no longer waste scholarships on JAGs.

Bethel is a solid contributor and Why are you telling us we “can’t” talk up Miller?

Some of you guys would have had a heart attack about our DL depth going into 2001.

I agree no doubt, BUT my only thing is this IF the kid is good regardless of star power, I'm for him being apart of the UM fam!! I just don't like the fact that, some on here might look at a recruit from his star power and forget about his film.. For me, it's not all about star power IF you put on a kid's film and he pops out as a good player then that's how I'm going to look at him, because in some recruit's case they might not go to the big school or they might just get overlooked because of where they stay, BUT once I put on a kid's film then I will see what counts!! Also a lot of fans here like to say certain recruit's are Miami caliber and sometimes I agree, BUT soon as those same kid's start getting notice from other big name schools "NOW" all of a sudden they are a must keep or must get AND that right there shows me that for some it's all about stars, offers and who's getting the most attention and that's something I can't stand!!!

Bethel is a solid contributor and Why are you telling us we “can’t” talk up Miller?

Some of you guys would have had a heart attack about our DL depth going into 2001.
They both might turnout to be really good but lets not kid ourselves they were not plan A, B, or even C guys and thats the point im trying to make.

At DT we wanted Briggs, Chatman, or Coburn and CB PS2, TC, and Asante.

Does Miller and Bethel have potential? Sure but don't tell me yea this was the plan. Lets be clear it felt like a scramble to fill positions of need last cycle with bodies.

Advertisement
McIntosh and Richards could play other positions so it works in your example but that’s not always the case. Sanders is a RB and a RB only. If you simply take too many commitments at a single position it’s going to hurt your numbers. Then it will hurt your team when those players are only elite at 1 position.

OSU did this with Torrance Gibson bringing him at QB knowing that they would never give him a real shot. Tried to get him to be a WR he wasn’t very good at it and didn’t like it. Long story he transferred out.

Also it takes away from the scarcity of the offer which affects supply and demand which hurts precieved value of the offer. Everyone wants elite talent but the numbers have to be right for it make sense. This staff sooo far aside from Kool sleeping at his desk has done a solid job of making sure and planning for the numbers on the team to be right.

Torrance Gibson was amazing at WR I have no clue what youre talking about. He just was SET on the foolish idea that he was truly meant to be a QB. Hence him transferring to the JUCO to try and prove himself at QB lol.

Advertisement
Don't have to look any further back than this last class to see we can land elite talent. We got pretty much every target on the O side of the ball.

Right.. Miami definitely made it happen,
McIntosh and Richards could play other positions so it works in your example but that’s not always the case. Sanders is a RB and a RB only. If you simply take too many commitments at a single position it’s going to hurt your numbers. Then it will hurt your team when those players are only elite at 1 position.

OSU did this with Torrance Gibson bringing him at QB knowing that they would never give him a real shot. Tried to get him to be a WR he wasn’t very good at it and didn’t like it. Long story he transferred out.

Also it takes away from the scarcity of the offer which affects supply and demand which hurts precieved value of the offer. Everyone wants elite talent but the numbers have to be right for it make sense. This staff sooo far aside from Kool sleeping at his desk has done a solid job of making sure and planning for the numbers on the team to be right.

THIS.... What makes Sanders only a RB?? Now I understand that's the position he's getting recruited at "I get that", BUT IF we have a situation where Sanders want in, as does McIntosh, Crowley, Richards and maybe one other, I don't think we pass on them and say "NO", I think we sign them all and put them in the best position.. Most of these recruits could play multiple positions IF needed in HS (and so do), BUT no recruit is only a one position guy, IF he can play RB he can play other positions as well!!

There are probably 8 to 10 programs in the entire country with constant access to elite recruits, and UM is one of them. Signing top 5 classes every year should be the norm here, and it will be as long as we have a competent HC in place.

Most elite programs sign elite kids from different areas....these days its hard to campare ..imo

Advertisement
Back