Recruiting Budget questions

grover

Senior
Premium
@TheOriginalCane @nycane @DMoney @canesdude @SWFLHurricane @Brooklyndee @Cribby @Peter Ariz et al,

How much do you estimate recruiting budgets have gone up from pre-NIL (bags only) to NIL era? I know there's no way to track that. But based on your experience and ties to the program, what do you think the inflation has been?

Based on public leaks related to NIL deals, I'm guessing top teams are now in the 10M range annually at this point, given the need not only to fund 25 new kids a class, but keep funding the 85 total kids on roster -- i.e., $100K+ per roster spot per year on average, with QBs, WRs, DL and OTs getting outsized shares of that amount. Is that about right?

Do you think it's sustainable?

Advertisement

Well, alrighty then, lol. Is that a legit number for anyone who knows? ... also would appreciate any insights on pre-NIL bag budgets vs NIL era budgets. And if this amount of spending is sustainable. Also, how many teams can afford the ante these days?

Advertisement
@TheOriginalCane @nycane @DMoney @canesdude @SWFLHurricane @Brooklyndee @Cribby @Peter Ariz et al,

How much do you estimate recruiting budgets have gone up from pre-NIL (bags only) to NIL era? I know there's no way to track that. But based on your experience and ties to the program, what do you think the inflation has been?

Based on public leaks related to NIL deals, I'm guessing top teams are now in the 10M range annually at this point, given the need not only to fund 25 new kids a class, but keep funding the 85 total kids on roster -- i.e., $100K+ per roster spot per year on average, with QBs, WRs, DL and OTs getting outsized shares of that amount. Is that about right?

Do you think it's sustainable?
Yeah, it's sustainable as long as it's allowable. Some of those schools (Texas, A&M etc....) have $$$$$$ to no end.

Miami needs to get organized on its collective. A lot of people would contribute. Of course Miami is going to be reliant on wealthy alumni, but it would help.
I 2nd this motion 5000 donor at $25 a month is 1.5m a year. Is this enough for 5 stars QB ? LOL
That $300 a year per donor.
LOL

Last edited:
I’ve said this 100x. This is one of the main reasons why Miami must leave the ACC. Television revenue is supplementing major programs to spend on Recruiting, facilities, coaches.. etc. that gap is widening.

Think about this, Miami is in a $30M deficit every year. $EC and Big 10 schools don’t have to ask boosters for money to go toward facilities. It’s covered by their Tv contract. In a world with finite resources you cannot be $30-$50M behind your competition each year and expect Championship results.

No one wants to hear this but if we cannot get out of this conference by 2027-2028 when schools are expecting to make $100M a year in TV revenue, we cannot have championship expectations.

I’ve said this 100x. This is one of the main reasons why Miami must leave the ACC. Television revenue is supplementing major programs to spend on Recruiting, facilities, coaches.. etc. that gap is widening.

Think about this, Miami is in a $30M deficit every year. $EC and Big 10 schools don’t have to ask boosters for money to go toward facilities. It’s covered by their Tv contract. In a world with finite resources you cannot be $30-$50M behind your competition each year and expect Championship results.

No one wants to hear this but if we cannot get out of this conference by 2027-2028 when schools are expecting to make $100M a year in TV revenue, we cannot have championship expectations.
B - I -N - G - O

Advertisement

Great points

Advertisement
I know the term bag is loose, but I can’t imagine it off-sets any sort of NIL agreement. Maybe it pushes the total sum lumped in with the NIL offer over the edge, but teams aren’t handing out 750k “bags” to offset an NIL deal.

We’re probably talking at most, a couple hundred k in under-the-table Money…which is still substantial, but just want to keep it in context.

There’s the extreme extreme examples of the Tua relocation situation, but doesn’t happen yearly. A bag could also be interpreted as NIL but some payment is made pre-enrollment.

Advertisement

Luckily it seems like we have an AD in place that understands this as well and is doing everything he can to position us to get out of the hellhole that is the ACC.

If my arithmetic is correct - if it takes Ohio State $13,000,000 a year to keep their players and recruits - if WE came up with $26,000,000 a year - every year we could loot any Ohio State player we wanted . . . with one phone call each . . .

Double your money - in MIAMI!!!!!

Advertisement
Back