Recruiting and team make up

So I drove over from Naples to watch the Basketball and Baseball games Saturday. When I got to The Light I accidentally sat one section over from where my tickets were, and found myself surrounded by Miami Cubans, rooting for Maine. After getting over my "WTF is going on here" moment as I was listening to people shouting "Vamos Maine!", I pulled up their roster and saw they had a bunch of Miami kids, several (at least 3 or 4) from Columbus HS.

Were those kids overlooked, just not offered by Miami, or is there some kind of beef between our staff and Columbus' that they steer kids away from Coral Gables? I can't imagine a 305 kid in his right mind would ever choose to go up there and freeze his cojones off over playing at home in front of his family and friends.

I'm sure that any high major prospect in Miami HS baseball overlooked by UM (FL) would have options other than UM (ME). They likely didn't get any offers from any D1 FL programs because they aren't that good.

Advertisement
Is there any chance (including some alternate universe/Spock with a beard thing) Gino is NOT part of the problem, and in fact oversees a resurgence?

If there is, I have yet to hear it from anybody.

Advertisement
Back