Recruiting and team make up

canesstevealum08

"Wyatt, I am rolling!"
Premium
This has to be fixed. Now that we got the obvious out of the way, how do you fix it? UF and FSU have always been cheaper than Miami. However, Miami's evaluation criteria has stayed the same and Florida has upped their game. To get back to John Jay and yonder Alonso Ryan Braun Aubrey half etc. need to evaluate better obviously right? Difference being, I think they're going thru what football went through with recruiting. People aren't as diehard about the (former) streak, nor the mystique of the program anymore. They're a little unlucky because honestly before missing the tournament they did go to two straight World Series so it's not like they steadily fell off a cliff. I will say, I think this team will feast on lower level competition and mid-level competition better than last year's team did. It's whether they improve when they play Virginia or North Carolina that we know that we've had a team that's progressed. The only pass they should get this year is how young they are. Oh, and to the new writer, do you watch games or analyze stats because it's your analysis so far has no bearing on what's actually taking place on the field. Of course, analytics has a place in baseball. But not without context of each individual game and situations within that game that can be applied to the data.

Advertisement
Yes, the search and evaluation process has to change. There are PLENTY of wealthy, smart, D1 baseball players in America who could make it work financially at UM. We just have to find them. Gino is not a visionary recruiter. He looks for local guys and can occasionally be seen at a Perfect Game event in Fort Myers. That's it.

Yes, the search and evaluation process has to change. There are PLENTY of wealthy, smart, D1 baseball players in America who could make it work financially at UM. We just have to find them. Gino is not a visionary recruiter. He looks for local guys and can occasionally be seen at a Perfect Game event in Fort Myers. That's it.

The problem with Gino is his family is one of our biggest boosters. He isn't going anywhere. We need to do something or we are going to be the laughing stock of CBB

Gino is not the best choice to succeed Morris. I'd do a nationwide search for the best coach. I like to see someone like Pat Murphy leading the baseball program.

Advertisement
Bags of tomatoes?

At best Gino is Brad Kelly 2.0. Let's hope it's a similar tenure.

LMAO. I was joking. I would stop watching UM baseball if he becomes the head coach. Unfortantley his family is one of our biggest boosters so he will stay as long as he wants.

Advertisement
Easy answer? Hire Lovelady
The game passed these coaches by years ago. Bunting a guy to second 4 times a night doesn’t win games. Signing 3 first round picks and not bothering to look for a backup plan when they go pro is how you break the greatest steak in college sports. Recruiting every lefty that throws 82-85 doesn’t win championships. Having 5 frosh in the lineup isn’t an excuse. Frosh have this free year when nobody has tape or a full scouting report on them. If you evaluate and identify real talent they shine. UF does it every year with them. Morris has been mailing it in for 10 years. It was criminal that 08 team didn’t win the title and you could say the same about a couple years ago. But to answer OP you fix this team with a younger coach. But as in every major sport at Miami there’s this expectation of loyalty from all coaches and former players (understandably) but it also can ruin a program. Morris has done some great things here but the admin chose him over the health of one of the greatest baseball programs in America, and they’ll do it again when Dimare is promoted. Selection day last year was a leadup to how this team will look for a decade. Being a lock won’t exist anymore outside the years we have junior and senior laiden squads.

Something that has jumped out at me is that we only have three catchers. Most college teams have four catchers (one of whom is generally a walk-on).

Only having three catchers has really limited us in this game where we haven't been able to pinch hit for Quiones in two huge spots in this game already.

You have four catchers for practice as well so more pitchers can throw bullpens etc. but that's secondary to the games.

Something that has jumped out at me is that we only have three catchers. Most college teams have four catchers (one of whom is generally a walk-on).

Only having three catchers has really limited us in this game where we haven't been able to pinch hit for Quiones in two huge spots in this game already.

You have four catchers for practice as well so more pitchers can throw bullpens etc. but that's secondary to the games.

Not having 4 catchers on the roster is like complaining that the Titanic didn't have proper ventilation in the dining room when it hit the iceberg.

So if we had a walk-on catcher, we would have been able to pinch hit for our scholarship catcher who couldn’t even hit in high school.

Yeah, I think the problems are a little deeper than that.

Advertisement
So I drove over from Naples to watch the Basketball and Baseball games Saturday. When I got to The Light I accidentally sat one section over from where my tickets were, and found myself surrounded by Miami Cubans, rooting for Maine. After getting over my "WTF is going on here" moment as I was listening to people shouting "Vamos Maine!", I pulled up their roster and saw they had a bunch of Miami kids, several (at least 3 or 4) from Columbus HS.

Were those kids overlooked, just not offered by Miami, or is there some kind of beef between our staff and Columbus' that they steer kids away from Coral Gables? I can't imagine a 305 kid in his right mind would ever choose to go up there and freeze his cojones off over playing at home in front of his family and friends.

So I drove over from Naples to watch the Basketball and Baseball games Saturday. When I got to The Light I accidentally sat one section over from where my tickets were, and found myself surrounded by Miami Cubans, rooting for Maine. After getting over my "WTF is going on here" moment as I was listening to people shouting "Vamos Maine!", I pulled up their roster and saw they had a bunch of Miami kids, several (at least 3 or 4) from Columbus HS.

Were those kids overlooked, just not offered by Miami, or is there some kind of beef between our staff and Columbus' that they steer kids away from Coral Gables? I can't imagine a 305 kid in his right mind would ever choose to go up there and freeze his cojones off over playing at home in front of his family and friends.

None of those kids seem to be lighting the world on fire for Maine, and they don't play against the talent we do. They're probably at Maine because that's their ceiling talent wise.

Last edited:

Respectfully, that's what we have to STOP doing. 75% of our roster is from South Florida. Instead of wondering why we didn't land a couple of local players who went to Maine, I want to know why we didn't get the kids from California who start for TCU. Or why we didn't get the kids from north Florida, Washington, or New York who start for Vanderbilt.

Vandy is an example of what we should be doing. They have just 12 players from the entire state of Tennessee. They get players from coast to coast. And Vandy's cost of attendance is $63,000. We use that as a crutch and claim that we have to find kids who can live at home.

Advertisement
Respectfully, that's what we have to STOP doing. 75% of our roster is from South Florida. Instead of wondering why we didn't land a couple of local players who went to Maine, I want to know why we didn't get the kids from California who start for TCU. Or why we didn't get the kids from north Florida, Washington, or New York who start for Vanderbilt.

Vandy is an example of what we should be doing. They have just 12 players from the entire state of Tennessee. They get players from coast to coast. And Vandy's cost of attendance is $63,000. We use that as a crutch and claim that we have to find kids who can live at home.

To act as though Miami’s cost of attendance isn’t a hindrance is disengenous at best. Blame Morris for coasting...fine, but you can’t tell me Miami doesn’t lose out in kids because of finances. And last I checked Miami was one of the two, USC, most successful private schools baseball wise ever.

To act as though Miami’s cost of attendance isn’t a hindrance is disengenous at best. Blame Morris for coasting...fine, but you can’t tell me Miami doesn’t lose out in kids because of finances. And last I checked Miami was one of the two, USC, most successful private schools baseball wise ever.

Maybe you missed the whole thing about Vanderbilt, a school that costs $63,000 per year and still manages to put together a national title contender with limited scholarships. I don't mind discussing this, but you can't continue to ignore obvious counterpoints.

And, yes, we lose out on some kids because of finances. But we should never, ever be in dog fights to salvage a series against Maine or Dartmouth. Baseball isn't an inner city sport. There are plenty of smart and/or wealthy baseball players to choose from. We just choose to recruit locally because it's the easy way out.

We did have a fourth catcher, Benito Varela, who transferred in from Stetson. Unfortunately, he had to have Tommy John surgery in the fall and was cut from the team at the end of fall practice.

Advertisement
Back