Off-Topic Recommendations: Safe, affordable neighborhoods around FIU

Southcane

Senior
I moved away from Miami because of job opportunity about 25 years ago only coming for games since then. One of my kids got a teaching job at FIU and planning to buy a home in Miami within the next few months. There has been tremendous change in the area since I left. I appreciate input from locals about where to look to buy a reasonably priced home, town home or single family within a reasonable driving distance to FIU campus. I'm sure you guys know which areas are safe and which areas are.....less safe lol

Advertisement
How does they feel about traffic? It’s way worse now than it was when you left. If they don’t mind it the West Kendall area is as safe as you can get.

If you left Miami Dade 25 years ago it is no longer remotely similar from the standpoint of HOUSING COSTS. Was announced a day or two ago that Miami has now surpassed NYC as the most expensive city to live in. The population of Miami Dade County increased by 800,000 since 1989 when I moved to Miami. The influx of new residents is important due to the fact that a very high % are middle class and upper middle class / wealthy due to the fact that many of these residents are owners of businesses in Latin America ... and have opened branch offices in the US ... and have second homes in Miami. Westchester, South Miami, Kendall are all areas that are safe and will have more reasonable housing costs than areas like Coral Gables, Pinecrest and Coconut Grove. The Gables is now absolutely crazy .... I was checking homes for sale yesterday (out of curiosity ... we moved out at the end of 2013) .... and one of the least expensive homes in The Gables was a 1416 SFT home with an asking price of $1.8 million. Home prices in the past 2 years have skyrocketed.

Advertisement
@Zbrod95 and @Rickd I appreciate the input guys. Regarding traffic it is expected but as long as it is not more than 30-35 minutes drive to south campus it will be preferable.
I knew the whole real estate scene has completely changed that's why I'm asking locals here who can give honest opinions not real estate guys with motives to promote certain areas lol

@Zbrod95 and @Rickd I appreciate the input guys. Regarding traffic it is expected but as long as it is not more than 30-35 minutes drive to south campus it will be preferable.
I knew the whole real estate scene has completely changed that's why I'm asking locals here who can give honest opinions not real estate guys with motives to promote certain areas lol
Seems like condos in the 900 - 1200 SFT range in that area are running in the $300-400K range for the most part. 25 years ago you would have gotten a 3 BR 2 Bath home on a 14,000 SFT lot in many nice areas for that price range.

If you left Miami Dade 25 years ago it is no longer remotely similar from the standpoint of HOUSING COSTS. Was announced a day or two ago that Miami has now surpassed NYC as the most expensive city to live in. The population of Miami Dade County increased by 800,000 since 1989 when I moved to Miami. The influx of new residents is important due to the fact that a very high % are middle class and upper middle class / wealthy due to the fact that many of these residents are owners of businesses in Latin America ... and have opened branch offices in the US ... and have second homes in Miami. Westchester, South Miami, Kendall are all areas that are safe and will have more reasonable housing costs than areas like Coral Gables, Pinecrest and Coconut Grove. The Gables is now absolutely crazy .... I was checking homes for sale yesterday (out of curiosity ... we moved out at the end of 2013) .... and one of the least expensive homes in The Gables was a 1416 SFT home with an asking price of $1.8 million. Home prices in the past 2 years have skyrocketed.
Your spot on , good points here 👌

I was driving around the Gables this weekend, and stopped and spoke to several homeowners, and the stories they had was insane in ref to Real estate.

Advertisement
How does they feel about traffic? It’s way worse now than it was when you left. If they don’t mind it the West Kendall area is as safe as you can get.
I went down this weekend and it was insane. I commuted to school from northern Palm Beach County two days a week. It took 2 hours and 15 minutes back then. I couldn't even imagine doing that now.

The home prices in South Fla are just not worth it in my opinion. You can get the same job in other areas in Florida and get a bigger house with acreage for the same price as a South Fla condo...

The home prices in South Fla are just not worth it in my opinion. You can get the same job in other areas in Florida and get a bigger house with acreage for the same price as a South Fla condo...
You are TOTALLY missing the point ... you CAN'T get the same job in other areas. What is UNIQUE to Miami is kind of hinted at in the title it has earned over the last 25 years "The Capital of Latin America". This has very little to do with the Cuban migration to Florida in the period 1960-1980, and much more to do with the dramatic evolution of Latin American specialty agriculture ... providing products to the US market during those months of the year when there is no domestic production.

In "the old days" table grapes were available for 12 weeks of the year out of California. Asparagus was available basically when California had production in late May through early July ... that's it ... no more. Fruits, vegetables, fresh cut product shipped daily by air. The list is expanding every month. Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Panama, Dominican Republic ... major growers in each country now have offices IN MIAMI ... their primary arrival port (Port of Miami, Port Everglades, Miami International Airport). There are literally hundreds of thousands of Latin American business owners ... who own production operations in Latin America ... and either import / distribution offices (and second homes) in Miami for themselves and primary staffers.

There is a lifestyle available to these wealthy international business people that is NOT available to many back in their home countries. I worked in international agriculture for over 30 years ... Latin America on the sourcing / production side and the USA and Europe on the market / distribution side.
I recall sitting with a wealthy grower at an exclusive country club in Ecuador discussing aspects of life not related to business. We take things like our hobbies ... as well as the freedom we have to enjoy them ... for granted. My Ecuadorian grower asked what I normally did on weekends and I mentioned that I had a sailboat moored in Coconut Grove .. we sailed on weekends ... either Biscayne Bay, anchoring for the night possibly in the Keys or sailing to Biminia for the weekend. He said "that's wonderful ... we couldn't do that here ... if we anchored along the coast we would be robbed or murdered by thieves".

Many of the Latin business owners send their children to high school / prep school in Miami as well as to a variety of universities across the country. The driving force of the Miami real estate market IS NOT American's moving to Miami for jobs ... it has been the influx of a uniquely wealthy segment of Latin American individuals who can easily pay a very healthy price for a home and lifestyle that they don't have in their countries. There are areas like Key Biscayne that is most likely over 98% Latino based residents. Doral ... is virtually 100% (the mayor is Venezuelan). Coral Gables ... very strongly Latino.

I moved away from Miami because of job opportunity about 25 years ago only coming for games since then. One of my kids got a teaching job at FIU and planning to buy a home in Miami within the next few months. There has been tremendous change in the area since I left. I appreciate input from locals about where to look to buy a reasonably priced home, town home or single family within a reasonable driving distance to FIU campus. I'm sure you guys know which areas are safe and which areas are.....less safe lol
Unless FIU is paying part of the house purchase costs, I would consider renting for a year. Partly to get a feel for the neighborhoods, traffic, etc., partly to see if the craziness in new home prices reverses.

Advertisement

In general, its unlikely that a red state will be more expensive to live in than a blue state, simply because of taxes. There are several cities in TX on that list, but its more the compensation than the cost of living. The great migration, exacerbated by Covid, is to the Sun Belt.

Advertisement
Back