Reclassifications: A Long Term Analysis

lindend

Money, its gotta be da shoes!
Premium
The general consensus on CIS is that kids that reclassify often either are busts or don't live up to the hype. However, not a lot of hard evidence. After seeing a post from @Ghandi , @Gi0logy suggested that we create a thread to track this long term and see if the CIS hypothesis can be verified. Please post names of kids that have reclassified and we'll add them to the OP. Also, let me know if we should add any additional data to the table.

It could be that the skill position players can reclassify and live up to expectations while the big uglies need the time to mature. We'll see.

RecruitPositionAgeRating beforeRating AfterClassOriginal ClassNLISchoolPortal entriesPortal
School
Consensus
Armondo BlountDT5*5*24
Amaree WilliamsDE4*?24
Ryan "Hollywood" WilliamsWR5*?24
Davon MitchellTE5*4*24
Kevyn “Kerm” HumesCB4*24
TJ CapersDE/LB5*4*23LouisvilleLouisvilleReclassified very late in the cycle (July) after an ACL. Much negativity on CIS about him being tweener
Austin JacksonQB4*3*2325Ole MissOle MissApparently old for his class and would've aged out. Had credits to graduate. Reclassified two years! Committed to the Gators then flipped to Ole Miss.
Antoine JacksonCB5*4*23MiamiECUVery good FR year.
2024: in the portal
Desmond RicksCB5*23BamaBama
Donnel HarrisDE5*4*20A&MA&MDisappointing career and medically retired. Was a lot older than HS competition and undersized for college.
Tony GrimesCB5*4*2020UNCUNC2A&MContributed as a FR, started at UNC for a couple of years. Has not lived up to 5* potential. Many on CIS labeled him a bust.
2023: in the portal
2024: in the portal
Mark WaltonRB4*4*1515MiamiMiamiVery productive college career. Some legal issues in college and serious legal woes after being drafted by the NFL.
Amaree WilliamsDE4*4*2425FSUUM likely would have made him a priority if he remained in the 25 class.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The general consensus on CIS is that kids that reclassify often either are busts or don't live up to the hype. However, not a lot of hard evidence. After seeing a post from @Ghandi , @Gi0logy suggested that we create a thread to track this long term and see if the CIS hypothesis can be verified. Please post names of kids that have reclassified and we'll add them to the OP. Also, let me know if we should add any additional data to the table.

It could be that the skill position players can reclassify and live up to expectations while the big uglies need the time to mature. We'll see.

RecruitPositionRating beforeRating AfterYearSchoolConsensus
BlountDT5*5*24FSU (for now)
Ryan "Hollywood" WilliamsWR5*?24Alabama
Antoine JacksonCB5*4*23Miami
Donnel HarrisDE5*4*21Disappointing career.
I don't think Jackson ever attended Miami...

He's playing for ECU so that should be changed.

Advertisement
Purely opinion from me but depends on the position for reclass and I believe DL isn’t one to do it as especially speaking on Blount case. I wouldn’t really expect him to ply next year unless he’s in college for spring ball he really needs to develop his body more. And he doesn’t seem like the type to want to RS so no matter where he goes he may hit the portal next year and really ruin his development

Advertisement

RecruitPositionRating beforeRating AfterYearNLISchoolConsensus
BlountDT5*5*24FSU (for now)
Ryan "Hollywood" WilliamsWR5*?24Alabama
Antoine JacksonCB5*4*23MiamiECU
Donnel HarrisDE5*4*21A&MA&MDisappointing career.
**** bro. You are the Rueben Bain of CIS recruiting... relentless.

Advertisement
Table updated. The fact that he flaked out and bailed before playing a down is probably something we should track. Sign of immaturity.
I like the idea of keeping track of them though.

My opinion is that they probably "fail" (for a lack of a better word) at a notably higher clip than their peers that play their senior year and then go to college.

A lot of names I've never heard of in that 247 article. Recruiting has always been a bit of crapshoot but reclassifying makes it even more so. Some of those kids just weren't ready and could have used that last year of HS. I would compare it to a player leaving early for draft and then not cutting it as a pro.

Advertisement
What’s the criteria to make this table?

That TE Mitchell that picked Oklahoma over us this summer reclassified I believe?
Mitchell added. I think he's going to be a monster.

I think I'm going to tweak the criteria and limit the list to players we recruited or at least offered.

OP updated.
  1. Added Mitchell, Williams and Ricks.
  2. Added column for portal school
  3. Added links to discussion on each recruit.

TJ Capers for Louisville. He’s a Miami HS kid that should have been in this years class but had the knee injury and enrolled a year early if I remember correctly.

Advertisement
Back