Recap: Louisville Rustles Miami 36-9

View as article

Dan E. Dangerously

This board...it's my note
Maude
The University of Miami wrapped up the 2013 season by being on the receiving end of another beat down from a ranked team.

24.jpg

T.S. Elliot said:
THE HOLLOW MEN

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

This was as pathetic and abysmal of a bowl performance as any from the Randy Shannon teams. ****, since he wasn't there for the Sun Bowl, at least the team was in the game when he was the coach. This game was on LSU - Peach Bowl and Arizona - Fiesta Bowl levels of *** kickings. After looking at the pic up above, if you're thinking to yourself, "Man...boy do our guys look embarrassed after the game", you're mistaken. That pic was taken by Photo at halftime. ****, it might as well have been right after they came out of the tunnel, as Louisville's whole team met us there and started getting in our guy's heads. They remained there all night long.

Last night is what the culmination of 4 weeks of preparation by this coaching staff looks like. I made reference to it here, as did SFbayCane here, that this game was our 1st chance to see what Al and this staff can do for bowl prep. It was exciting because it is a skill. Some coaches are great and others suck. It may only be 1 data point, but it isn't encouraging. Our team looked soft, scared, and disorganized all game. As opposed to Louisville, who played with passion, emotion, aggression, and any other "-ion" you can think of. Just the opposite of us as a program from top to bottom...including the coaching staff.

636.jpg

@3_Blind_Moose

Highlights:

[video=youtube;yk7VLi5taWw]www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk7VLi5taWw[/video]

My official message for this game from the game day post was just to not let Teddy Bridgewater put a bow on his college career by punking us. Were we succesful?

https://vine.co/v/h90nFJ0AQ66

Yea, that gets a grade of F+. He got exactly what he wanted. He not only validated his decision to split town, but you're crazy if he didn't just send a giant message to any wavering SoFla prospect that was on the fence on the subject of leaving town or sticking it out with the hometown school.

Let's recap:

Howard was in the building for the game.

25.jpg

I'm curious (and this is a dead serious question since I wasn't old enough to witness his era as our coach), but did this man ever complain about inanimate objects like clouds and such back when he was building our program up from nothing?

1st Quarter:

Louisville won the toss and deferred to the 2nd half. On Miami's 2nd play from scrimmage Morris hit Walford up the seam to move the chains. Gaines got flagged for P.I. against Hurns to move UM across the 50 yard line. The drive stalled there, but a beautiful punt by O'Donnell stopped right at the 2 yard line. On Louisville's 2nd play Deon Bush came in on a blitz and wrapped up Bridgewater for the safety.

841.gif

2-0 Miami

Miami went 3 & out on the ensuing possession and punted it right back to Louisville. Bridgewater came back on the field and quickly moved the Cardinals into field goal range after 3 nice completions each to Parker, Copeland, and Christian. Miami's defense stepped up and forced a field goal which gave Louisville the lead.

3-2 Louisville

They never trailed again. Miami struggled to get near midfield and Stacy Coley was tackled a yard short to set up 4th and 1 from their own 45 yard line. Golden elects to go for it, and Gus Edwards got stuffed for a 3 yard loss. Louisville's drive went nowhere, but they were able to tack on another field goal to extend their lead.

6-2 Louisville

Miami went 3 & out again and Louisville started moving the ball again. The quarter ends with Bridgewater picking up 15 yards on a read option play where he slid his way to midfield, and still leading 6-2.

2nd Quarter:

The stats from the first quarter weren't pretty. Miami's offense had just 3 first downs and had just 4 yards rushing on 9 carries. Morris was 3 for 7 with 26 yards passing. Louisville had no such trouble on offense. On 3rd & 8 Bridgewater threw a simple screen to Copeland for a 20 yard gain. Miami's defense once again forced a 4th down once the Cardinals reached the redzone. This time Charlie Strong elected to go for it, but an illegal formation penalty pushed them back. John Wallace came back out to drill his 3rd and final field goal of the game.

9-2 Louisville

After a short kickoff Wallace got suckered into committing a personal foul to move Miami to midfield.

1.gif

It didn't matter because Miami went 3 & out again. Miami's defense had been on the field all night and it was just a matter of time before they cracked. It came on the next possession by Louisville. Bridgewater was methodically moving his team down the field and then he spotted Parker deep. Teddy lofted a jump ball to him and Parker out jumped Burns for the touchdown. Parker stared down at Burns as he just sat on the ground.

637.jpg

16-2 Louisville

On Miami's next possession we went to our "give Dallas the ball and have him run it up the middle" offense. After a couple of decent carries Morris threw an incompletion on 3rd down to force another punt. However Miami got bailed out because Charles Gaines got flagged for taunting our sideline. On the next play Morris hit Walford down the sideline for a 28 yard gain to give the Canes 1st and goal from the 8. Two plays later a play was called where Dallas Crawford ended up having to block Marcus Smith 1 on 1. Marcus Smith came into this game as the 2nd leading Sack artist in the nation with 12.5 on the year. He ran right around Dallas, stripped Morris of the football, and Brandon Dunn was there for the recovery.

842.gif

[video=youtube;09s-c2JVI40]www.youtube.com/watch?v=09s-c2JVI40[/video]

If Miami was ever going to get back into this game it had to happen right there...but it didn't. When Louisville took over it was at this point that Miami finally forced Louisville to punt for the 1st time. It was a 3 & out and everything. Amazing. The problem was Miami went 3 & out too. The quick drive was highlighted by the 1st of 2 gigantic hits by James Burgess, Jr. on Dallas Crawford.

638.jpg

He'd hit him just like that again later in the game so I'm not sure if that's even the right picture. They were completely identical and I don't feel like mentioning too much of the 2nd half so you'll just have to look at that one and believe me that it happened. On Louisville's next drive they're facing 3rd and 6. Bridgewater tried to roll left, then went back to his right and lofted a perfectly thrown ball over Tracy Howard to Copeland for a 21 yard gain.

1.gif

Three plays later Teddy found former Miami Northwestern teammate Miachaelee Harris for a 12 yard touchdown pass.

26.jpg

22-2 Louisville

Louisville missed the extra point to keep Miami within 3 possessions. Miami ran out the clock to go into the half down 22-2. Louisville outgained Miami 280-82 in the 1st half. Morris was 7 of 15 for 67 yards and Miami had just 15 yards on 16 carries. Just a complete train wreck on offense. It was the 1st time Miami's offense had been shutout in the 1st half of a game since November 27, 2010. That was Randy Shannon's last game.

3rd Quarter:

I quit taking notes after the Morris fumble inside the 10 so the 2nd half is going to be quick. Louisville got the ball back to start the 2nd half. They marched down the field with impunity and the drive ended with a 24 yard touchdown pass from Teddy to Senorise Perry on a dump off pass up the middle.

27.jpg

29-2 Louisville

Miami responded with a 13 play drive that ate up 5:45 off the clock and resulted in zero points after another failed 4th down conversion. Louisville goes right back to work and put together another drive. The quarter ends after an 18 yard catch by Parker puts Louisville deep in Miami territory again, and still leading 29-2.

4th Quarter:

Before the final frame began, they played some Miami video on the scoreboard:

78.png

More proof that it's amateur hour when it comes to the University of Miami's athletic department. After getting into the redzone the Cardinals get down near the goal line pretty quickly. Pretty soon it's 4th and 1 and Charlie Strong goes for it. Bridgewater runs a bootleg and rolls to his right, stiff-arming Deon Bush on his way to another Louisville touchdown.

1.gif

639.jpg

36-2 Louisville

Miami marched down the field and Gus Edwards scored a meaningless touchdown to prevent the team from being shutout on offense.

843.gif

36-9

Bridgewater stayed in the game until after the 1st play of their final drive. He stayed in to set a personal best in passing yards for his career with 447 on 35 of 45 passes completed. Louisville got all the way down to Miami's 3 before finally kneeling on the ball to end the game.

Final Score:

Miami 9
Louisville 36

640.jpg

Per Matt Porter of the Palm Beach Post, after the game Al was asked what his timetable was for getting us near competing for national titles. This was his answer:

28.jpg

Yikes...that's a far cry from Howard Schnellenberger's proclamation that we will win a national title in 5 years. But it's whatever. In the meantime, I'm sure he's gonna be "working his tail off" to get us there...whenever that might be.

Advertisement
I know you put o lot of effort in what you do, but I stopped reading after the Bush safety. Will revisit in a few weeks. Too soon.

The players deserve better than what they are getting from this staff. Our staff was out coached by every staff this year that had a team with a pulse. These kids are wayyyyy better than they have showed in most of the games this year, and this is the result of having a bunch of amateurs on staff. I hate to say this, but I would not let my sons play for this staff. I would push them to a school that has professional coaches.

Advertisement
i mean really? every 3rd and long louisville had and the run the same screen play and we still don't pick up on it the whole game until Chickallo makes a play when the game is far out of reach. that is unacceptable and as a coach i would be embarrassed by this performance or lack there of. i mean how times did louisville's front 7 get in the back field before we finally decided to get some extra blockers to by Morris more time? we keep calling the same 4 plays on offense even though they clearly weren't working? i want answers from this coaching staff. the fact that Al Golden appears to completely lost whatever confidence that he had when he first got hear is very concerning going forward. sorry for the rant but i needed to vent

I'm glad our QB that plays football for a hobby is finally graduating. Go paint your feelings Stephen.

0-11 on 3rd downs

21:28 ToP

WTF!

A 1/2 a yard per carry as a team?

Our passing game, a strength, 12 of 27 for an avg. of 5.9 and a long pass play of 27 yards?

Louisville had a good D on paper, but they also had a third-rate schedule too. Best team they played was conference rival UCF and they lost and allowed 38 points. UCF had the same third-rate schedule.

This Canes era team just can't beat a good team.

They're major underachievers.

I'd like to give Golden another year or two simply because of the blindside of the Douch Bag debacle, but he'll have to get rid of D'Onofrio if he wants to retain any credibility whatsoever. That much is well within his control.

All of his speeches and pressers about how this is all about the brand and all about winning won't mean a **** thing if he refuses to ditch what is perhaps the single biggest part of the problem. I don't care if it were his own twin brother, he needs to go, as in the news should be forthcoming within 24 hours of that debacle of a loss otherwise with every passing day more credibility is lost.

Ped State won't want Golden either if he's going to drag along that string full-o-tin-cans with him.

Advertisement
Lets stop the bull**** right now! Al has done a good job guiding us through the NCAA mess. The same to the Administration for challenging the NCAA. But its time to recognize the oh so ******* obvious fact this staff cannot coach on the level we exist on, will have to perform on if we want to win against championship caliber teams. I would be a neglect of duty for them to retain this staff. We don't need a CEO type anymore, we need pro level coaches or you can expect more of the same. Both our OC and DC are no better than mediocre HS coaches. Looking at game film you can't tell me other teams don't laugh at these impostors pretending to be coaches! This administration and Boosters can prevent further decline by being realistically proactive and pull the plug! Here are 3 coaches that immediately make us competitive and most importantly not the laughing stock of college football:

1. Greg Schiano
2. Kirby smart
3. Pep Hamilton

Canes Alumni, Students, Boosters and Fans we have to demand this administration react quickly to save this program.

Golden is letting us down and is accepting mediocrity. He talks like he's still at Temple. **** I was a 100% Golden supporter until after the VT game. Sad.

it's painfully obvious that the total Louisville program valued this game more than we did.

Now....don't get me wrong.......we were yucking it the **** up at Disney World and **** and happier than a puppy with two peckers that we could go bowling. Louisville played the game like they wanted to win and make a statement. We played like a team full of *** pop warner kids.

Lets stop the bull**** right now! Al has done a good job guiding us through the NCAA mess. The same to the Administration for challenging the NCAA. But its time to recognize the oh so ******* obvious fact this staff cannot coach on the level we exist on, will have to perform on if we want to win against championship caliber teams. I would be a neglect of duty for them to retain this staff. We don't need a CEO type anymore, we need pro level coaches or you can expect more of the same. Both our OC and DC are no better than mediocre HS coaches. Looking at game film you can't tell me other teams don't laugh at these impostors pretending to be coaches! This administration and Boosters can prevent further decline by being realistically proactive and pull the plug! Here are 3 coaches that immediately make us competitive and most importantly not the laughing stock of college football:

1. Greg Schiano
2. Kirby smart
3. Pep Hamilton

Canes Alumni, Students, Boosters and Fans we have to demand this administration react quickly to save this program.

I keep seeing Schiano's name pop up around here; are you guys aware of how awful a gameday coach he is?

Advertisement
I was embarrassed that the Louisville DL who didn't even line up on the line were laughing at our joke of a team before the snaps.

I'll say it again. This was way worse than the Peach Bowl vs LSU.

I truly think someone put a voodoo curse on our program at halftime of OSU Fiesta Bowl. The consequences have never been the same since.

A case could be made that clouds are in fact animate.

Advertisement
If Al gonna play 75 to 80% zone we are the Penn st. If the south I been a cane 4 20 plus we always play mostly man now we play man 15 to 20% of the time we are n trouble we this dc we need jimmy back

Greg Schiano just got fired by the BUCS! I'm sure he's eager to lead some young men to success. Shalala make the call. Lets leap ahead and be a far better coached and competitive team than we'll ever be under Al and the Stooges. Thanks Al we wish you luck on getting the Penn State job, but don't let nobody here fool you they already peeped your game. They know you really an administrator perpetrating as a coach.

Rob Chudzinski and Greg Schiano available. Please Ms. Shalala and Boosters make the move!!!! We need pro level coaches and this would excite the remaining recruits to sign! They would be excited knowing they will be coached by professional caliber coaches. Plus both would probably at this point prefer the security of college football. As James Brown would say.....Please! Please! Pleaseeeee!

Advertisement
Back