RECAP: 2021 Under Armour All-America Miami Camp

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
As one of the best camps on the circuit in terms of elite talent, the Under Armour All-America Miami Camp has been bringing together the best of the best in South Florida to compete on the gridiron for years now.

And this version of the camp did not disappoint: nearly 200 of the area’s best prospects again came out to show their stuff versus the cream of the crop this past Sunday and earn an invite to either the UA Future 50 event or the UA All-America Game in January, 2022.

With the 2021 class wrapped up and in the books, of course the focus of the camp was the rising seniors of 2022, but some others in the 2023 class made a name for themselves as well.

As always, take this with a grain of salt, as it’s tough to see every single rep. Still, for my money, here are my top performers from the Under Armour All-America Miami Camp, along with some recruiting and general camp notes.

Top Performers

Class of 2022

OJ Ross, RB, Cocoa, FL (Cocoa)

Running back was one of the weak spots overall at the camp, but I liked what I saw out of Ross in the 1-on-1’s, as he got behind defenders a few times with his above average speed. He also showed up a little bit bigger than his 5’10” 170-pound listed frame while still retaining his quickness and athleticism to create space for himself to work.

Julian Armella, OT, Miami, FL (Columbus)

He wasn’t flawless on the day and got beat once or twice that I saw, but Armella won enough reps overall to make up for that. What was most impressive was the transformation of his body and how he was moving as a result; he has trimmed up 30 to 40 pounds of bad weight while retaining lean muscle mass, giving him the look of a jumbo tight end. That allowed Armella to show off quicker feet when coming out of his stance, and he still has that nasty streak that has always defined his game. He also shut down DL co-MVP Mario Eugenio on a strong rep as well. A bonus was him lining up on the interior and displaying some of his versatility to work all across the line.

Trent Ramsey, OT, Tarpon Springs, FL (East Lake)

Like Armella, Ramsey also showed up with a tall, well-built frame. What was impressive to me about Ramsey was his wide base and how he was able to anchor down and utilize leverage to his advantage. He was the only lineman I saw that was able to stand up DT Gabriel Brownlow-Dindy and stymie him at the point of attack. Despite his long and lean build, Ramsey is a stronger finisher than you’d expect.

Nyjalik Kelly, DE, Fort Lauderdale, FL (Dillard)

Most other media I talked with that were in attendance agreed that Kelly was probably the most impressive player overall at the event, and I certainly can’t disagree with that sentiment. Kelly was a dominant force off the edge, making his living in the backfield and he was nearly impossible to block all day. He reminded me of watching DE Dallas Turner at last year’s event in terms of his build and ability to dip and bend around the edge with little wasted movement. His get-off and explosion off the ball are elite, and he put a few opponents in the spin cycle as well. Kelly simply abused his fair share of O-Linemen to take home a share of the Big Man Challenge DL MVP.

Mario Eugenio, DE, Tampa, FL (Gaither)

Although he is not as physically impressive as Kelly from a tools and build perspective, Eugenio was right there with Kelly in terms of production at the event. Eugenio won as many reps as anybody, utilizing a fierce outside-inside move to set up offensive linemen to the outside before bursting past them on the inside. The performance earned him DL co-MVP with Kelly.

Gabriel Brownlow-Dindy, DT, Lakeland, FL (Lakeland)

Brownlow-Dindy was a beast from the interior and he made hay against most everyone he faced off against in the 1-on-1’s. He is well put together from a build standpoint, has a low center of gravity, and really bullied a few overmatched opponents with his raw power and explosion off the ball. Although not as impressive as DT Leonard Taylor at this same event last year, Brownlow-Dindy did nothing to make you question his 5-star status.

Travious Lathan, LB, Miami, FL (Gulliver Prep)

Linebackers are always at a natural disadvantage at these events, and, overall, there weren’t many standouts on Sunday. That wasn’t the case for Lathan, though, who smothered pretty much every RB he went up against in coverage and demonstrated safety-like ball skills. His length really stands out and allows him to get to so many more passes than the average defender. Lathan’s performance garnered him LB MVP honors at the event.

Wesley Bissainthe, LB, Miami, FL (Miami Central)

While Lathan came away with the MVP honors, Bissainthe was every bit as good in my opinion. He imposed his will on his opponents, using his sheer physicality and great length to shutdown most everything that came his way. He allowed almost no room for any of his opponents to work, and even when he did, he showed the quickness to close gaps immediately and bat away passes. In an era that demands more and more coverage skills out of the LB unit, Bissainthe could be special.

Elijah Mc-Cantos, CB, Miami, FL (Miami Edison)

Mc-Cantos proved to be one of the more intriguing prospects at the event, as he showed off a well-built frame and moved very fluidly with it. He had an overall strong day and matched up well with all the top receivers, although he did get burnt pretty badly by Brandon Inniss on one rep when he was caught flat-footed on a slant route. I liked how well he was able to turn his head and locate the ball in the air without sacrificing his body positioning to go make a play, and he was aggressive in fighting through receivers to knock away passes.

Marquis Lymon, S, Delray Beach (Atlantic)

Lymon’s not without his flaws, as he isn’t very tall, he showed up undoubtedly overweight, and he can also allow his physicality to turn into clear pass interference/holding penalties. In a way, though, those downsides made his strong performance even more impressive, as Lymon was one of the standouts among the DB’s because of his ability to reroute pass catchers to the sidelines and limit their ability to make a play in bounds. There were multiple reps of Lymon closing quick and challenging receivers in the air to push them past the boundary or force a tough, contested play; Lymon’s aggressiveness didn’t let up all afternoon. While he needs to trim up his frame, his functional athleticism is still readily apparent despite that.

Class of 2023

Sedrick Irvin Jr., RB, Miami, FL (Gulliver Prep)

Irvin Jr. demonstrated he can be a complete back that will get loose leaking out of the backfield to make a big catch. He paired reliable hands with remarkable shiftiness to break free both across the middle and on wheel routes towards the outside. Irvin Jr. took home RB MVP honors for his performance.

Brandon Inniss, WR, Miami, FL (TRU Prep Academy)

The 2023 receiver class in South Florida continues to impress, and in my opinion, that conversation should always begin with Inniss. Inniss has been a well-known youth legend for years, notably making a few big plays against the upperclassmen at Paradise Camp three years back, so it’s nothing new to see him dominate like he did on Sunday. What was different was the consistency of his dominance – it was not just the amount of reps he won (and it was a lot), but how he was winning them. He toyed with most everyone he went up against, using quick bursts of agility to create massive separation in seemingly tight windows, while also setting up DB’s with his route running ability. While many youth league stars end up peaking too early and plateauing, it’s notable that Inniss is still progressively getting better and fine-tuning his game.

Santana Fleming, WR, Opa Locka, FL (Carol City)

Fleming probably got deep the most of any receiver on the day, and his 0-60 acceleration is a sight to behold. His burst is just on another level than everyone else on the field, and the explosion he showed coming out of his breaks was plain fun to watch. He’s not just a speed guy, though, as Fleming is also a very deliberate route runner that is often working one step ahead of his defender.

Cedrick Hawkins, WR, Cocoa, FL (Cocoa)

The third receiver that made multiple big plays all afternoon, Hawkins showed he was a smooth glider thanks to his ability to change direction on a dime with little wasted motion. Hawkins had DB’s crossing up their own feet all afternoon with his stutter step move that left most of his opponents in the dust. He needs to work on his hands and seems to fight the ball at times, but there’s no doubt he has all the tools to be an elite talent.

Deandre Duffus, OL, Hollywood, FL (Chaminade-Madonna)

Duffus proved why some consider him a fast-rising star on Sunday, as he had multiple impressive reps against a strong DL field. He boasted great hand placement, bend, and leverage to lock up power rushers, and was forceful in using his physicality to knock back speed rushers.

Antonio Robinson, CB, Miami, FL (Florida Christian School)

Robinson made life uncomfortable for most of his opponents at the event on his way to earning DB MVP honors, as most receivers had trouble breaking free of him. He paired impressive closing speed with great hip flip when running with receivers. Robinson also displayed springy athleticism, climbing the ladder a few times to knock away passes.

Notes

**Although college coaches are not usually allowed at these events due to NCAA restrictions, Miami Hurricanes head coach Manny Diaz ended up getting special access to the event due to his son Gavin participating with the LB’s. Diaz was allowed onto the field and was intently evaluating players with a roster in hand, although NCAA rules still prevented him from speaking to any prospects.

**Top 2022 prospects such as DE Shemar Stewart and CB’s Jacolby Spells and Trevell Mullen showed up, but only went through individual drills and did not participate in the competitive portion of the event; in Stewart’s case, he was recovering from shoulder and knee injuries.

**Along with Diaz, the event was also filled with current and former NFL players as well. Former Miami Dolphins WR Chris Chambers was helping out as an assistant coach, Minnesota Vikings WR Justin Jefferson gave a short talk to the WR/DB group, and former DE Jason Taylor was on hand to watch his son Mason compete with the TE’s.

**2022 Chaminade-Madonna DE Kenyatta Jackson brought up Miami on his own as one of the schools talking to him the most. He said Manny Diaz and coach T-Rob are leading his recruitment for UM. Miami is the only school he has ever visited.

**2022 Homestead DL’s Dante Anderson and Daniel Lyons both hear from Miami daily and have built strong relationships with Jess Simpson and Pop Cooney. Anderson keeps in touch with guys on the team like Mark Pope and loves how Miami uses their DE’s. Lyons said he likes the idea of staying home for school and that UM has been pushing hard for a commitment, but said that he wants to wait until sometime during his senior season.

**2022 Gulliver Prep LB Travious Lathan says he will commit on September 1st. Manny Diaz and coach T-Rob are leading the charge to land Lathan. He has scheduled official visits to Pitt and West Virginia in June.

**2022 Miami Central LB Wesley Bissainthe has been building a relationship with new OLB coach Ishmael Aristide, saying he’s excited by the new defensive staff and expects Miami to have a big season this year. He mentioned FSU as another school that is really pushing hard for him.

**2022 Stranahan LB Omar Graham is in daily contact with coach DVD, Jonathan Patke, and Manny Diaz, saying Diaz is really making him feel like a priority for Miami right now. He had a set commitment date of April 16th but has decided to push that back because he wants to learn more about his options, and a few new schools have been giving him a lot to think about. Mentioned Michigan, Oregon, Auburn, and Penn State as others that are really pushing right now.

**2022 Fernandina Beach CB Camron Miller recently landed an offer from Miami, and he was thrilled to receive the bid, saying he was surprised and it took him a minute to process. Miller has begun building a relationship with coach DVD and points to UM’s ability to send defensive backs to the NFL and proximity to home as key areas of interest for him regarding the Miami program. When prompted on where he would visit first when things opened up, his first answer was Miami, before quickly adding in UCF as a possibility also (both due to proximity to home). Rutgers and Georgia Tech are two programs he mentioned that have been in contact with him the most, and he also said that Notre Dame has recently begun pushing as well. He’s planning a summer decision.

Advertisement
Few questions if you can answer..(or anyone else)

*Should I be worried these multiple injuries Stewart has? Knee injury doesnt sound great especially with some people questioning his lateral quickness as is

*How many DEs are we potentially taking? The board is getting full with Lyons and Anderson saying we are pursuing them hard especially with Stewart, Jones, Jr, Jackson and Kelly being the elite group right?

*Is it safe to say we are going to take a passive stance at WR this class since it looks to be a very underwhelming one and the WR room is already full?

Thanks!

As one of the best camps on the circuit in terms of elite talent, the Under Armour All-America Miami Camp has been bringing together the best of the best in South Florida to compete on the gridiron for years now.

And this version of the camp did not disappoint: nearly 200 of the area’s best prospects again came out to show their stuff versus the cream of the crop this past Sunday and earn an invite to either the UA Future 50 event or the UA All-America Game in January, 2022.

With the 2021 class wrapped up and in the books, of course the focus of the camp was the rising seniors of 2022, but some others in the 2023 class made a name for themselves as well.

As always, take this with a grain of salt, as it’s tough to see every single rep. Still, for my money, here are my top performers from the Under Armour All-America Miami Camp, along with some recruiting and general camp notes.

Top Performers

Class of 2022

OJ Ross, RB, Cocoa, FL (Cocoa)

Running back was one of the weak spots overall at the camp, but I liked what I saw out of Ross in the 1-on-1’s, as he got behind defenders a few times with his above average speed. He also showed up a little bit bigger than his 5’10” 170-pound listed frame while still retaining his quickness and athleticism to create space for himself to work.

Julian Armella, OT, Miami, FL (Columbus)

He wasn’t flawless on the day and got beat once or twice that I saw, but Armella won enough reps overall to make up for that. What was most impressive was the transformation of his body and how he was moving as a result; he has trimmed up 30 to 40 pounds of bad weight while retaining lean muscle mass, giving him the look of a jumbo tight end. That allowed Armella to show off quicker feet when coming out of his stance, and he still has that nasty streak that has always defined his game. He also shut down DL co-MVP Mario Eugenio on a strong rep as well. A bonus was him lining up on the interior and displaying some of his versatility to work all across the line.

Trent Ramsey, OT, Tarpon Springs, FL (East Lake)

Like Armella, Ramsey also showed up with a tall, well-built frame. What was impressive to me about Ramsey was his wide base and how he was able to anchor down and utilize leverage to his advantage. He was the only lineman I saw that was able to stand up DT Gabriel Brownlow-Dindy and stymie him at the point of attack. Despite his long and lean build, Ramsey is a stronger finisher than you’d expect.

Nyjalik Kelly, DE, Fort Lauderdale, FL (Dillard)

Most other media I talked with that were in attendance agreed that Kelly was probably the most impressive player overall at the event, and I certainly can’t disagree with that sentiment. Kelly was a dominant force off the edge, making his living in the backfield and he was nearly impossible to block all day. He reminded me of watching DE Dallas Turner at last year’s event in terms of his build and ability to dip and bend around the edge with little wasted movement. His get-off and explosion off the ball are elite, and he put a few opponents in the spin cycle as well. Kelly simply abused his fair share of O-Linemen to take home a share of the Big Man Challenge DL MVP.

Mario Eugenio, DE, Tampa, FL (Gaither)

Although he is not as physically impressive as Kelly from a tools and build perspective, Eugenio was right there with Kelly in terms of production at the event. Eugenio won as many reps as anybody, utilizing a fierce outside-inside move to set up offensive linemen to the outside before bursting past them on the inside. The performance earned him DL co-MVP with Kelly.

Gabriel Brownlow-Dindy, DT, Lakeland, FL (Lakeland)

Brownlow-Dindy was a beast from the interior and he made hay against most everyone he faced off against in the 1-on-1’s. He is well put together from a build standpoint, has a low center of gravity, and really bullied a few overmatched opponents with his raw power and explosion off the ball. Although not as impressive as DT Leonard Taylor at this same event last year, Brownlow-Dindy did nothing to make you question his 5-star status.

Travious Lathan, LB, Miami, FL (Gulliver Prep)

Linebackers are always at a natural disadvantage at these events, and, overall, there weren’t many standouts on Sunday. That wasn’t the case for Lathan, though, who smothered pretty much every RB he went up against in coverage and demonstrated safety-like ball skills. His length really stands out and allows him to get to so many more passes than the average defender. Lathan’s performance garnered him LB MVP honors at the event.

Wesley Bissainthe, LB, Miami, FL (Miami Central)

While Lathan came away with the MVP honors, Bissainthe was every bit as good in my opinion. He imposed his will on his opponents, using his sheer physicality and great length to shutdown most everything that came his way. He allowed almost no room for any of his opponents to work, and even when he did, he showed the quickness to close gaps immediately and bat away passes. In an era that demands more and more coverage skills out of the LB unit, Bissainthe could be special.

Elijah Mc-Cantos, CB, Miami, FL (Miami Edison)

Mc-Cantos proved to be one of the more intriguing prospects at the event, as he showed off a well-built frame and moved very fluidly with it. He had an overall strong day and matched up well with all the top receivers, although he did get burnt pretty badly by Brandon Inniss on one rep when he was caught flat-footed on a slant route. I liked how well he was able to turn his head and locate the ball in the air without sacrificing his body positioning to go make a play, and he was aggressive in fighting through receivers to knock away passes.

Marquis Lymon, S, Delray Beach (Atlantic)

Lymon’s not without his flaws, as he isn’t very tall, he showed up undoubtedly overweight, and he can also allow his physicality to turn into clear pass interference/holding penalties. In a way, though, those downsides made his strong performance even more impressive, as Lymon was one of the standouts among the DB’s because of his ability to reroute pass catchers to the sidelines and limit their ability to make a play in bounds. There were multiple reps of Lymon closing quick and challenging receivers in the air to push them past the boundary or force a tough, contested play; Lymon’s aggressiveness didn’t let up all afternoon. While he needs to trim up his frame, his functional athleticism is still readily apparent despite that.

Class of 2023

Sedrick Irvin Jr., RB, Miami, FL (Gulliver Prep)

Irvin Jr. demonstrated he can be a complete back that will get loose leaking out of the backfield to make a big catch. He paired reliable hands with remarkable shiftiness to break free both across the middle and on wheel routes towards the outside. Irvin Jr. took home RB MVP honors for his performance.

Brandon Inniss, WR, Miami, FL (TRU Prep Academy)

The 2023 receiver class in South Florida continues to impress, and in my opinion, that conversation should always begin with Inniss. Inniss has been a well-known youth legend for years, notably making a few big plays against the upperclassmen at Paradise Camp three years back, so it’s nothing new to see him dominate like he did on Sunday. What was different was the consistency of his dominance – it was not just the amount of reps he won (and it was a lot), but how he was winning them. He toyed with most everyone he went up against, using quick bursts of agility to create massive separation in seemingly tight windows, while also setting up DB’s with his route running ability. While many youth league stars end up peaking too early and plateauing, it’s notable that Inniss is still progressively getting better and fine-tuning his game.

Santana Fleming, WR, Opa Locka, FL (Carol City)

Fleming probably got deep the most of any receiver on the day, and his 0-60 acceleration is a sight to behold. His burst is just on another level than everyone else on the field, and the explosion he showed coming out of his breaks was plain fun to watch. He’s not just a speed guy, though, as Fleming is also a very deliberate route runner that is often working one step ahead of his defender.

Cedrick Hawkins, WR, Cocoa, FL (Cocoa)

The third receiver that made multiple big plays all afternoon, Hawkins showed he was a smooth glider thanks to his ability to change direction on a dime with little wasted motion. Hawkins had DB’s crossing up their own feet all afternoon with his stutter step move that left most of his opponents in the dust. He needs to work on his hands and seems to fight the ball at times, but there’s no doubt he has all the tools to be an elite talent.

Deandre Duffus, OL, Hollywood, FL (Chaminade-Madonna)

Duffus proved why some consider him a fast-rising star on Sunday, as he had multiple impressive reps against a strong DL field. He boasted great hand placement, bend, and leverage to lock up power rushers, and was forceful in using his physicality to knock back speed rushers.

Antonio Robinson, CB, Miami, FL (Florida Christian School)

Robinson made life uncomfortable for most of his opponents at the event on his way to earning DB MVP honors, as most receivers had trouble breaking free of him. He paired impressive closing speed with great hip flip when running with receivers. Robinson also displayed springy athleticism, climbing the ladder a few times to knock away passes.

Notes

**Although college coaches are not usually allowed at these events due to NCAA restrictions, Miami Hurricanes head coach Manny Diaz ended up getting special access to the event due to his son Gavin participating with the LB’s. Diaz was allowed onto the field and was intently evaluating players with a roster in hand, although NCAA rules still prevented him from speaking to any prospects.

**Top 2022 prospects such as DE Shemar Stewart and CB’s Jacolby Spells and Trevell Mullen showed up, but only went through individual drills and did not participate in the competitive portion of the event; in Stewart’s case, he was recovering from shoulder and knee injuries.

**Along with Diaz, the event was also filled with current and former NFL players as well. Former Miami Dolphins WR Chris Chambers was helping out as an assistant coach, Minnesota Vikings WR Justin Jefferson gave a short talk to the WR/DB group, and former DE Jason Taylor was on hand to watch his son Mason compete with the TE’s.

**2022 Chaminade-Madonna DE Kenyatta Jackson brought up Miami on his own as one of the schools talking to him the most. He said Manny Diaz and coach T-Rob are leading his recruitment for UM. Miami is the only school he has ever visited.

**2022 Homestead DL’s Dante Anderson and Daniel Lyons both hear from Miami daily and have built strong relationships with Jess Simpson and Pop Cooney. Anderson keeps in touch with guys on the team like Mark Pope and loves how Miami uses their DE’s. Lyons said he likes the idea of staying home for school and that UM has been pushing hard for a commitment, but said that he wants to wait until sometime during his senior season.

**2022 Gulliver Prep LB Travious Lathan says he will commit on September 1st. Manny Diaz and coach T-Rob are leading the charge to land Lathan. He has scheduled official visits to Pitt and West Virginia in June.

**2022 Miami Central LB Wesley Bissainthe has been building a relationship with new OLB coach Ishmael Aristide, saying he’s excited by the new defensive staff and expects Miami to have a big season this year. He mentioned FSU as another school that is really pushing hard for him.

**2022 Stranahan LB Omar Graham is in daily contact with coach DVD, Jonathan Patke, and Manny Diaz, saying Diaz is really making him feel like a priority for Miami right now. He had a set commitment date of April 16th but has decided to push that back because he wants to learn more about his options, and a few new schools have been giving him a lot to think about. Mentioned Michigan, Oregon, Auburn, and Penn State as others that are really pushing right now.

**2022 Fernandina Beach CB Camron Miller recently landed an offer from Miami, and he was thrilled to receive the bid, saying he was surprised and it took him a minute to process. Miller has begun building a relationship with coach DVD and points to UM’s ability to send defensive backs to the NFL and proximity to home as key areas of interest for him regarding the Miami program. When prompted on where he would visit first when things opened up, his first answer was Miami, before quickly adding in UCF as a possibility also (both due to proximity to home). Rutgers and Georgia Tech are two programs he mentioned that have been in contact with him the most, and he also said that Notre Dame has recently begun pushing as well. He’s planning a summer decision.

How do you cover "top performers" but leave out the kid who won WR MVP of the camp?
Or are you only mentioning "prospects"?

Advertisement
Dam! Dam! Dam! We got plenty of DE's. Bissainthe, Graham and Lathon at LB. Several highly regarded local CB's and a couple from OOS. 2021 is a pivotal moment in talent acquisition and progression of this team. Not landing the bulk of our preferred recruits will slow our progression and continue the migration of top talent.

Would Miami make the playoff in a year or 2-3 if they signed:

Innis
Armella
Stewart
Kelly
Lyons
Anderson
Lathan
Bissanthe
Tolan
Little
Spells

The write up on this Duffus kid sounds good. Good hand placement, leverage etc...sounds like he was coached up well by someone.

1615314601255.png

Advertisement
Elijah Mccantos is one of my jits...

If Miami offers him, he'll commit to us.

Advertisement
Back