Really tough break for the team and their prep...

bomb

Band
Banned
"We didn't prepare for this game - Reggie (Johnson) went down, we didn't practice on Monday,"
Larranaga said. "On Tuesday in the first rebounding drill Durand (Scott) caught
an elbow in the mouth got his tooth loosened, had to go to the doctor. Then Raphael
Akpejiori got hurt, we didn't have him. We were down to eight - practice wasn't
so great without Durand, Reggie. And then last night Shane Larkin ended up
throwing up all night, didn't eat until the pregame meal at 3 o'clock. I think
those guys didn't have the juice they normally do. ... we didn't look like
ourselves."

Advertisement
I don't see it as excuse making. We all know that our team didn't show up. As a fan I'd like to know why we didn't show up. I've never heard L excuse make before. He has and here again comes across to me as an analytical cat who learns and explains. Nothing more here than that imo.

"We didn't prepare for this game - Reggie (Johnson) went down, we didn't practice on Monday,"
Larranaga said. "On Tuesday in the first rebounding drill Durand (Scott) caught
an elbow in the mouth got his tooth loosened, had to go to the doctor. Then Raphael
Akpejiori got hurt, we didn't have him. We were down to eight - practice wasn't
so great without Durand, Reggie. And then last night Shane Larkin ended up
throwing up all night, didn't eat until the pregame meal at 3 o'clock. I think
those guys didn't have the juice they normally do. ... we didn't look like
ourselves."

All of this happening prior to tip off explains a lot.

where's the excuse making? He's telling you outright that they werent prepared. An excuse is complaining about the officials or complaining that the hotel wasn't comfy enough, or they had a long walk to the arena. He's saying flat out that the team wasn't prepared and it's obviously on the head coach to have his team prepared. He is putting it on himself.

Advertisement
where's the excuse making? He's telling you outright that they werent prepared. An excuse is complaining about the officials or complaining that the hotel wasn't comfy enough, or they had a long walk to the arena. He's saying flat out that the team wasn't prepared and it's obviously on the head coach to have his team prepared. He is putting it on himself.

If he came out and said "I didn't prepare them for this game" and that's all he said then you would be right. But he blamed it on circumstances like Durand and Reggie not being at practice and Larkin throwing up. That certainly may be why we lost I just hate making excuses like that at all. And yes that is an excuse, but it is a better one than poor officiating.

no brother. that's called answering the follow up question. Why didn't you perform? "Because we didn't prepare"....take a wild guess what the next question out of the reporter's mouth was going to be.

If he came out and said "I didn't prepare them for this game" and that's all he said then you would be right. But he blamed it on circumstances like Durand and Reggie not being at practice and Larkin throwing up. That certainly may be why we lost I just hate making excuses like that at all. And yes that is an excuse, but it is a better one than poor officiating.

Geezus. Those arent excuses. Half our team was injured or sick. That's not an excuse, that's a totally logical reason we looked like a steaming pile of dog poo. We played hard IMO, but we played bad, and I know under Coach L, we have rarely looked so inept or disorganized. We got beat, but we got beat because of some really bad luck at a very bad time. I think Coach L is just saying, hey, we played hard, I didnt have them prepared like normal, but things got hairy. It's a bummer but life goes on.

Advertisement
Excuses can be valid, merited, and a reason for this. You don't need to be "cool tough guy" who says "no excuses" while puffing out his chest. Sorry, when your best player doesn't eat for like 20 hours which is spent puking, and then eats for the first time in a day 3 hours before tipoff, you have a key member out, especially against a big team, then your second best offensive weapon misses practice after dental work, and then you have another big man hurt. Sorry, it adds up. Could we have still won? Yeah, of course, but this also explains why we looked like one of Haith's last place ACC teams.

Wow. Smh.

Advertisement
Excuses can be valid, merited, and a reason for this. You don't need to be "cool tough guy" who says "no excuses" while puffing out his chest. Sorry, when your best player doesn't eat for like 20 hours which is spent puking, and then eats for the first time in a day 3 hours before tipoff, you have a key member out, especially against a big team, then your second best offensive weapon misses practice after dental work, and then you have another big man hurt. Sorry, it adds up. Could we have still won? Yeah, of course, but this also explains why we looked like one of Haith's last place ACC teams.

LOL at everyone in this thread. What I said isn't really that bad at all..

Exactly. Excuses can be valid and regardless of what some think these are excuses. As I said these are more valid than blaming it on the officials or something I just still hate hearing things like this. Maybe some of you wanted to know why we didn't play well but I'd rather have it not come out because it can sound like we are blaming the entire game on it.

That's it. Not a big deal lol.

LOL at everyone in this thread. What I said isn't really that bad at all..

Exactly. Excuses can be valid and regardless of what some think these are excuses. As I said these are more valid than blaming it on the officials or something I just still hate hearing things like this. Maybe some of you wanted to know why we didn't play well but I'd rather have it not come out because it can sound like we are blaming the entire game on it.

That's it. Not a big deal lol.

If we lost because the team plane crashed on the way there, would that be something worth knowing? Or would it better to not give excuses?

There's a difference between factors and excuses.

LeBron and D Wade break their hands in a collision with each other and don't play in a Game 7. Bosh, Chalmers, and Battier all have the flu and play at 60%. We lose.

Is that an excuse or a reason/set of factors?

Advertisement
Depth was a major concern for this team. Once in the tourny you better have depth and/or some incredible luck.

We had neither.

Great season Canes!

nice excuses but I mean come on. Kadji has been playing like **** for a few games now. TMJ and Brown were cold as ice. there was no game plan on how to box out. and friggin Scott man needs to not be such a puss. how many guys have we seen this season get their teeth knocked out in a game and keep playing. johnson was out before and we were fine. Shane being sick makes sense. nothing you could really do about that.

Advertisement
Back