Reality of Miami's class ranking

donutface

Freshman
Reading the thread the other day where the Michigan fans were trying to disparage Miami's class irritated me a little bit. Other team's fans are trying to sell the fact that the only reason that Miami's class is ranked as high as it is, is due to quantity and not quality. That is not the case. This is going from memory from writers from the rivals site on Bill King's radio show so it might not be 100% accurate, but Rivals only counts the top 20 or 22 recruits from a class. So Miami's quality based on class ranking is actually comparable to every other school. Where the size of the class effects the ranking is in average star rankings, where I think the entire class is used. Miami's is not as high as everyone else ranked similarly to them, and that is a reflection of the class size. The lower end of the class brings down the average star ranking, making the class look not as impressive as it actually is.

Again this is from memory so someone correct me if I am wrong.

Advertisement
Anytime you have a big class and you get most of the talent from SoFla, you will have a high rated class. That's just fact of the matter.

Just the fact that fans from other teams are taking the time to try and make our class look bad is satisfying enough for me.

From a average star rating, Miami is 19th according to Rivals (6th-Total Points). According to Scout it is 28th (7th-Total Points). Average it out and Miami, at the worst, has a top 15 class. With everything that is going on, I will take that everyday of the week.

Advertisement
If you take our bottom 5 guys out then we rise considerably.

From a average star rating, Miami is 19th according to Rivals (6th-Total Points). According to Scout it is 28th (7th-Total Points). Average it out and Miami, at the worst, has a top 15 class. With everything that is going on, I will take that everyday of the week.

This. Rep.

We got most of the best kids from south Florida. That's what matters the most. Take some of these kids and put them in other parts of the country, I bet you see these 3 stars turn to 4, maybe even 5.

I hate stars in ranking services. More times than not, they are for not.

Advertisement
Just because a recruit is a 3 star doesnt mean he isnt a 4 or 5 star to us. Each team has different needs.

love the hate from other fanbases

almost as much as i love the gator fans crying they have no talent after the top 5 classes urban was bringing in

5 star players are head and shoulders better than everyone else, the difference between a 3 and 4 star is very small

We've all seen four and five star players from other parts of the country who couldn't hang with two and three stars from South Florida.

Besides, Michigan needs to tend their own mittens. They're not all that, in spite of early pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre season college rankings.

Just because a recruit is a 3 star doesnt mean he isnt a 4 or 5 star to us. Each team has different needs.

Different teams definitely have different needs but your recruit ranking idea (where a recruits star rating changes depending on where he signs, correct me if I'm wrong) still doesn't work.

Advertisement

Different teams definitely have different needs but your recruit ranking idea (where a recruits star rating changes depending on where he signs, correct me if I'm wrong) still doesn't work.

Well Derron Thomas is a 5* to Oregon because of their offense but he wouldn't be very valuable to us. I think that is what he is saying.

It is correct that the services only use a certain number of recruits in their rankings and do not count those over the number since they use cumulative rankings

Advertisement

Not only that, but NFL GM's, evaluating fully developed 22 year old men with 4 years of D1 game film, a combine, interviews, Wonderlic, etc, etc, STILL **** up their draft picks 50% of the time.

Now think of what the accuracy rate is for scouting 17 year old kids with limited exposure and lots of restrictive NCAA rules?

You're going to miss on a bunch. A big class helps offset that, simply with numbers. More kids = more likely to have success. I'll take a 28 kid class of 3.0 "star" (and by star I mean by how the COACHES rank them- not some ex-mailman) over a 22 kid class of 3.5 star kids. We're gonna see some studs come out of this group. I am ******* fired up!

Not only that, but NFL GM's, evaluating fully developed 22 year old men with 4 years of D1 game film, a combine, interviews, Wonderlic, etc, etc, STILL **** up their draft picks 50% of the time.

Now think of what the accuracy rate is for scouting 17 year old kids with limited exposure and lots of restrictive NCAA rules?

You're going to miss on a bunch. A big class helps offset that, simply with numbers. More kids = more likely to have success. I'll take a 28 kid class of 3.0 "star" (and by star I mean by how the COACHES rank them- not some ex-mailman) over a 22 kid class of 3.5 star kids. We're gonna see some studs come out of this group. I am ******* fired up!

^^^ this

Advertisement
Back