Realistic Hiring Targets For A P5 School: A 5 Year Look

I have freeze 1 and tbh which I know I will get questioned.....but between MC and TH I would say that's neck and neck man.

Any one of those guys will win us the coastal, brother. I share the same opinion you do. Just no more first-time HC, please. Even Golden as bad as he was technically won the coastal one time if not for the "cloud"

All 3 of those guys are the best options, and very realistic IMO.

Advertisement
Why’s that? He above the position? Seems next logical step for him.
No, he’s not above the position but it would require a HC to bring him on whom feels comfortable running what offense Kenny would want to run.

He’s never been an OC before. Not saying he can’t do it but you’re ok with him being broken in here?

1. Billy Napier
2. Hugh Freeze
3. Tom Herman
4. Jeff Traylor
5. Graham Harrell
6. Jay Norvell

Are my top 6 realistic candidates, I don’t think guys like Cristobal, Stoops, Kiffin, Fickell etc would actually come here for 2 reasons; 1) Miami is dirt cheap & I highly doubt they would pay what it takes to get those guys to leave their current situations & 2) all of them are already in better situations & have had way more success than they would have here.

The only way you can entice a big name coach to come here is if you back up the brinks truck, something Miami never does when it comes to hiring coaches. Our BOT does’t give two fcks about Football & only want to pay bargain bin prices for coaches, so in their mind paying $6-8mill for a coach is absurd when you can pay $3-4mill tops. They’re not interested in Miami becoming a Football powerhouse, they’ve turned this program into a country club.

The opportunity to recruit South FL talent isn’t all that appealing either because the overwhelming majority of good South FL players don’t stay home anyway, so you don’t have to leave your current job wherever it may be to get some South FL athletes on your team, they’ll come to you.

Plus, those coaches know if they come to Miami they’re not going to have the financial support they need in order to compete at a high level, they’ll come here & be forced to fend for themselves. Pretty much all of the big name dream coaches are at programs where they have full support from their Administration & boosters, at Miami it’s the exact opposite lol.

The G5 coaches (including Herman & Freeze who obviously used to be P5 guys) aren’t as bad of an option as most fans might think, yes it can be a crapshoot but considering the circumstances that Miami is in as a program there’s really nowhere to go but up. I mean it’s not like we’re a top 10 program at the risk of falling off if we take the wrong coach, we’ve already fallen off & still haven’t figured out how to get back up lol. We’re not even really a program on the decline, we declined years ago under Shannon & Folden, Richt brought us back to Sea level for 1 year but then we went right back under to where we were during the Shannon/Folden years with Diaz.

At worst we’ll stay a middling 7-5 program annually, at best we catch a diamond in the rough & become a more consistent competitive program, but regardless of whichever way we sway I’m almost certain it will be done so cheaply because I really don’t see any scenarios where the BOT all of the sudden has a come to Jesus moment & start forking up the cash, they haven’t for nearly two decades & they’re not going to now just because Manuel Diaz failed.

I think Mr. Freeze is still too radioactive for UM. Herman is my most realistic good coach that UM might be willing to approach. He was Fickell before Fickell. I don't worry about as much about the Texas failure as some others might since many coaches have failed at Texas and even the ones who had some success (Brown) vastly underachieved relative to the resources.

Maybe Herman's takeaway from the Texas job is he doesn't ever want to be at a school again with extremely meddlesome boosters that demand constant attention. I think he can be sure that Miami doesn't have many overly involved boosters.

Advertisement
I have freeze 1 and tbh which I know I will get questioned.....but between MC and TH I would say that's neck and neck man.
I’ve been a Mario guy. My brother is a Mario guy but........ FREEZE me in!!!!

Mario is #2.

Freeze at Liberty coming up to a bigger program, I think he would be invested. LCE sold me on too many good things going on with Mario for him to leave.

But, Will the admin look that way? History says no but who knows

Last edited:
I’ve been a Mario guy. My brother is a Mario guy but........ FREEZE me in!!!!

Mario is #2.

Freeze at Liberty coming up to a bigger program, I think he would be invested. Liberty sold me on too many good things going on with Mario for him to leave.

But, Will the admin look that way? History says no but who knows
They will hire the guy I don't want the most Lame Kiffin who is Manny all over again. Rah rah rah guy sucked at Oakland sucked at Tenn sucked USC and sucks.....they gave him bama athletes now he's a god...(everyone's a god with those athletes). Then he goes to FAU gets the best transfers in that conference even guys from last chance u.....then bang wins there cause he has the crop leaves to Ole Miss (who will never beat bama). And now everyone wants him a guy who doesn't do more with less.

Give me Freeze who checks every box for an elite coach then Herman....then Mario.

Advertisement
They will hire the guy I don't want the most Lame Kiffin who is Manny all over again. Rah rah rah guy sucked at Oakland sucked at Tenn sucked USC and sucks.....they gave him bama athletes now he's a god...(everyone's a god with those athletes). Then he goes to FAU gets the best transfers in that conference even guys from last chance u.....then bang wins there cause he has the crop leaves to Ole Miss (who will never beat bama). And now everyone wants him a guy who doesn't do more with less.

Give me Freeze who checks every box for an elite coach then Herman....then Mario.
I give him more credit than you do. I think he’s solid but point taken.

I don’t think Kiffin would leave anyway. He has a good situation in Ole Miss & I think he’s getting one of the Manning’s at QB. He’s set at QB after Corral to continue offensive dominance & relevance to remain a good team.

Coaching aside, Herman in a clown. We don’t want that guy. He would flop in South Florida
Herman is the kinda guy who gets in his own way. All the sideline antics, gold fronts and kissing teenage boys is a little too much for a conservative crowd like UM.

He'd be a great fit at LSU, IMO.

Advertisement
Advertisement
1. Billy Napier
2. Hugh Freeze
3. Tom Herman
4. Jeff Traylor
5. Graham Harrell
6. Jay Norvell

Are my top 6 realistic candidates, I don’t think guys like Cristobal, Stoops, Kiffin, Fickell etc would actually come here for 2 reasons; 1) Miami is dirt cheap & I highly doubt they would pay what it takes to get those guys to leave their current situations & 2) all of them are already in better situations & have had way more success than they would have here.

The only way you can entice a big name coach to come here is if you back up the brinks truck, something Miami never does when it comes to hiring coaches. Our BOT does’t give two fcks about Football & only want to pay bargain bin prices for coaches, so in their mind paying $6-8mill for a coach is absurd when you can pay $3-4mill tops. They’re not interested in Miami becoming a Football powerhouse, they’ve turned this program into a country club.

The opportunity to recruit South FL talent isn’t all that appealing either because the overwhelming majority of good South FL players don’t stay home anyway, so you don’t have to leave your current job wherever it may be to get some South FL athletes on your team, they’ll come to you.

Plus, those coaches know if they come to Miami they’re not going to have the financial support they need in order to compete at a high level, they’ll come here & be forced to fend for themselves. Pretty much all of the big name dream coaches are at programs where they have full support from their Administration & boosters, at Miami it’s the exact opposite lol.

The G5 coaches (including Herman & Freeze who obviously used to be P5 guys) aren’t as bad of an option as most fans might think, yes it can be a crapshoot but considering the circumstances that Miami is in as a program there’s really nowhere to go but up. I mean it’s not like we’re a top 10 program at the risk of falling off if we take the wrong coach, we’ve already fallen off & still haven’t figured out how to get back up lol. We’re not even really a program on the decline, we declined years ago under Shannon & Folden, Richt brought us back to Sea level for 1 year but then we went right back under to where we were during the Shannon/Folden years with Diaz.

At worst we’ll stay a middling 7-5 program annually, at best we catch a diamond in the rough & become a more consistent competitive program, but regardless of whichever way we sway I’m almost certain it will be done so cheaply because I really don’t see any scenarios where the BOT all of the sudden has a come to Jesus moment & start forking up the cash, they haven’t for nearly two decades & they’re not going to now just because Manuel Diaz failed.
Traylor is a great call. He is recruiting the **** out of Texas and he has that team humming.

Advertisement
Back