Realistic Hiring Targets For A P5 School: A 5 Year Look

Advertisement
I want a coach that insures defensive players know how to tackle and OL knows how to block. With those two things alone present team would win at least ten games

This was interesting info, thanks. But Cristobal is a unique situation because of his strong ties to Miami. Some similar situations:

- Jim Harbaugh left the NFL for Michigan because of his ties there. He was 2 years removed from a Super Bowl appearance and 1 year from an NFC title game. At the time was one of the most highly sought after coaches in the NFL.

- Scott Frost was obviously not P5, but had much better options available than Nebraska at the time. He even turned down Florida, and his ties to Nebraska won out.

Cristobal’s strong connection to Miami is the only thing that gives us a chance with him. Any other coach having his success at Oregon wouldn’t take a phone call from us or most other programs. But in 2014 people also would’ve laughed if you told them Harbaugh was leaving the NFL for college. And there’s probably not many coaches in the country who would’ve turned down the Florida job for Nebraska in 2017.

Actually it was not laughable that harbaugh would leave the nfl for college. It was widely reported there was significant friction with him and the front office and that there was a shelf life for anyone having to work with him

And Frost is a little different too because Osborne himself was involved to bring him to Nebraska.

blake james keeping his job is the worst case scenario for anyone who's a fan of Hurricanes Athletics. Why waste money creating a position that allows him to stay? I do get what you're saying but that's settling and that just opens the door for more status quo and **** poor hires. To get where we want to be we have to move past that imo. If Miami is going to commit to winning athletics, blake james should be the first one out the door.
I'm just saying if we're forced to keep Blake atleast bring in someone who can run the football program

If we go coordinator only route, Dan Lanning as HC and Glen Schumann as full time dc/lb coach are kind of intriguing. Even though yes: prior hc success at some level is preferred, Georgia’s defense and recruiting have been extra awesome since they’ve been there.
Dave Doeren anybody?
Regarding Doeren he’s a better game day coach than Mack Brown and has done a good job while getting second and third hand recruits in a power five conference.

Advertisement
I think playing the odds it will be a P5 coach or a coordinator. I don’t think we get another P5 coach outside of Mario. If that’s the route, I hope it’s a guy like Freeze but don’t think we have that sack to hire him
They won’t touch freeze. I think kiffin would leave ole miss for a place like miami

1. Billy Napier
2. Hugh Freeze
3. Tom Herman
4. Jeff Traylor
5. Graham Harrell
6. Jay Norvell

Are my top 6 realistic candidates, I don’t think guys like Cristobal, Stoops, Kiffin, Fickell etc would actually come here for 2 reasons; 1) Miami is dirt cheap & I highly doubt they would pay what it takes to get those guys to leave their current situations & 2) all of them are already in better situations & have had way more success than they would have here.

The only way you can entice a big name coach to come here is if you back up the brinks truck, something Miami never does when it comes to hiring coaches. Our BOT does’t give two fcks about Football & only want to pay bargain bin prices for coaches, so in their mind paying $6-8mill for a coach is absurd when you can pay $3-4mill tops. They’re not interested in Miami becoming a Football powerhouse, they’ve turned this program into a country club.

The opportunity to recruit South FL talent isn’t all that appealing either because the overwhelming majority of good South FL players don’t stay home anyway, so you don’t have to leave your current job wherever it may be to get some South FL athletes on your team, they’ll come to you.

Plus, those coaches know if they come to Miami they’re not going to have the financial support they need in order to compete at a high level, they’ll come here & be forced to fend for themselves. Pretty much all of the big name dream coaches are at programs where they have full support from their Administration & boosters, at Miami it’s the exact opposite lol.

The G5 coaches (including Herman & Freeze who obviously used to be P5 guys) aren’t as bad of an option as most fans might think, yes it can be a crapshoot but considering the circumstances that Miami is in as a program there’s really nowhere to go but up. I mean it’s not like we’re a top 10 program at the risk of falling off if we take the wrong coach, we’ve already fallen off & still haven’t figured out how to get back up lol. We’re not even really a program on the decline, we declined years ago under Shannon & Folden, Richt brought us back to Sea level for 1 year but then we went right back under to where we were during the Shannon/Folden years with Diaz.

At worst we’ll stay a middling 7-5 program annually, at best we catch a diamond in the rough & become a more consistent competitive program, but regardless of whichever way we sway I’m almost certain it will be done so cheaply because I really don’t see any scenarios where the BOT all of the sudden has a come to Jesus moment & start forking up the cash, they haven’t for nearly two decades & they’re not going to now just because Manuel Diaz failed.
I’m curious: what do you think about Herman?

1. Billy Napier
2. Hugh Freeze
3. Tom Herman
4. Jeff Traylor
5. Graham Harrell
6. Jay Norvell

Are my top 6 realistic candidates, I don’t think guys like Cristobal, Stoops, Kiffin, Fickell etc would actually come here for 2 reasons; 1) Miami is dirt cheap & I highly doubt they would pay what it takes to get those guys to leave their current situations & 2) all of them are already in better situations & have had way more success than they would have here.

The only way you can entice a big name coach to come here is if you back up the brinks truck, something Miami never does when it comes to hiring coaches. Our BOT does’t give two fcks about Football & only want to pay bargain bin prices for coaches, so in their mind paying $6-8mill for a coach is absurd when you can pay $3-4mill tops. They’re not interested in Miami becoming a Football powerhouse, they’ve turned this program into a country club.

The opportunity to recruit South FL talent isn’t all that appealing either because the overwhelming majority of good South FL players don’t stay home anyway, so you don’t have to leave your current job wherever it may be to get some South FL athletes on your team, they’ll come to you.

Plus, those coaches know if they come to Miami they’re not going to have the financial support they need in order to compete at a high level, they’ll come here & be forced to fend for themselves. Pretty much all of the big name dream coaches are at programs where they have full support from their Administration & boosters, at Miami it’s the exact opposite lol.

The G5 coaches (including Herman & Freeze who obviously used to be P5 guys) aren’t as bad of an option as most fans might think, yes it can be a crapshoot but considering the circumstances that Miami is in as a program there’s really nowhere to go but up. I mean it’s not like we’re a top 10 program at the risk of falling off if we take the wrong coach, we’ve already fallen off & still haven’t figured out how to get back up lol. We’re not even really a program on the decline, we declined years ago under Shannon & Folden, Richt brought us back to Sea level for 1 year but then we went right back under to where we were during the Shannon/Folden years with Diaz.

At worst we’ll stay a middling 7-5 program annually, at best we catch a diamond in the rough & become a more consistent competitive program, but regardless of whichever way we sway I’m almost certain it will be done so cheaply because I really don’t see any scenarios where the BOT all of the sudden has a come to Jesus moment & start forking up the cash, they haven’t for nearly two decades & they’re not going to now just because Manuel Diaz failed.
The highest they would probably go is 5m. Richt is the 1st coach they ever paid 4m. And I think lane would leave ole miss if miami would pay the money needed but that’s the problem

Advertisement
1. Billy Napier
2. Hugh Freeze
3. Tom Herman
4. Jeff Traylor
5. Graham Harrell
6. Jay Norvell

Although I do agree with the majority of this post, some of those coaches on there are hard passes for me. Herman had every resource in the world at Texas and averaged 8 games through 4 years, couldn’t win the big 12 once. As you alluded too, he wouldn’t have half of that here.

Graham Harrell? I wouldn’t want him even as a OC at Miami lol. Soft offenses with 0 run game.

Some of those other names are interesting and out of the box. Napier has had a few offers for SEC schools, I think he’s just waiting for the right one. Who knows what that is, I just don’t think it’s Miami lol. I’d take Freeze.

Unless the school financially commits to a winning program any HC hired will look at the program as a stepping stone to a better job. He would not have to win a NC, or maybe even an ACC title, just two years at 9-10 wins.

1. Billy Napier
2. Hugh Freeze
3. Tom Herman
4. Jeff Traylor
5. Graham Harrell
6. Jay Norvell

If that’s the case then I’m done following this team there’s no point and this is all just a waste of time.

Advertisement
It’s a bye week and I’ve got time. I took a look at hiring over the last 5 years because I’ve been reading several posts and threads about HC targets for us after Manny is finally fired. I have found it interesting to see the strong opinions around who should be considered and who shouldn’t. Specifically, I’m intrigued by the people who say “we can do better,” especially in relation to candidates like Mario, Clawson, or Stoops (full disclosure: I’m for Mario). The truth is, we likely can’t do much better and it is highly likely that we we will not be able to hire another active P5 HC.

Since 2017, a total of 50 P5 head coaching jobs have become available. I could only find 5 times where an active P5 HC had been hired away from their school: Mel Tucker (‘20), Mike Leach (‘20), Dan Mullen (‘18), Willie Taggert (‘18), and Jimbo (‘18). The majority of P5 schools hire a G5 coach (18 times) or a P5 coordinator (15 times: 9 DC and 6 OC). In fact, there have been more position coaches (6) hired as a HC than a current P5 coaches. Fired head coaches that were not coordinators are another 5. There was one FCS coach hired as well.

Most likely, we will go with a G5 coach or a P5 coordinator. We would have to be an outlier to take a P5 head coach. I know you are sitting there with your turnover chain shirt thinking to yourself “yeah, but this is The U! We have south beach, bro. And no state income tax. And so much talent. It’s a top 12 job according to a bunch of random people in a magazine article!” Other big programs have gone this route, including: Auburn, Tennessee (x2), Texas (x2), and FSU. I chuckle when posters **** on P5 coaches as not being good enough because we likely won’t get one. The “we can do better” moniker is not true. If Mario or any other P5 coach were to come, we would be only the 6th program in 6 years to get a P5 HC. We would be lucky to have them.

I have grown to accept that our next coach will likely be a Napier type coach unless we take a chance on a fired guy like Herman. If we get a P5 coach, it will more likely be someone like Clawson from a smaller school. The only coach that’s taken a lateral job is Jimbo, and we aren’t paying A&M money to do that. Based on the numbers, it will probably come from a group of Mario, BOB, Herman, Malzahn and whoever the best g5 coaches are not named Fickell

We need Bill O’Brien, Dan Quinn, or some other coach from the NFL.

Failing in the NFL is more impressive than “doing less with more” at a small school like Wake.

I’m convinced the people who cape for G5 coaches work at the Hecht, posting here to lower expectations so Miami can go cheap again

Advertisement
NFL guys have been doing well in college recently.

Mel Tucker a NFL DC for 10 years got Michigan State turned around fast.

Herm Edwards was a NFL coach for 18 years and he’s been alright with Arizona State.

I like the idea of grabbing some NFL OC or guys who have a track record of success in G5 or smaller schools.

I really don’t want Miami to hire guys who are .500 in their careers. Prefer offensive minded coaches and guys who have at least won bowl games and knocked down some top teams

Advertisement
Back