Realistic Hiring Targets For A P5 School: A 5 Year Look

Advertisement
I just want consistency. 9-10 wins every year with top 15 ranking year in and year out. Competitive football. National respect.

For that reason, I think I like Stoops for now. I think he’s a realistic option. And would prefer him over a Napier, Clark, Chadwell, etc.

Was reading an article about Napier from before the started and it touched on why he's being patient waiting for the right opportunity to come along. This part stuck out to me:

"There's an anticipation that he'll leave when the right job comes along -- one with a track record of winning, a commitment to football and a clear alignment from the school president to the athletic director."

Lololol

You know what’s funny… you can take everyone that is being listed here and it won’t be anyone of those guys. We’ve done this the last 4 hires. Everyone brings good quality candidates to the boards and our Admin will go completely left field.

They’ll bring Dennis Erickson back as our next coach or most likely hire Jess Simpson or Lashlee. Maybe even Banda.

Advertisement
I really only care about the football team. Sure I would love a new AD but if we had to keep Blake then I would want a GM of the football program
blake james keeping his job is the worst case scenario for anyone who's a fan of Hurricanes Athletics. Why waste money creating a position that allows him to stay? I do get what you're saying but that's settling and that just opens the door for more status quo and **** poor hires. To get where we want to be we have to move past that imo. If Miami is going to commit to winning athletics, blake james should be the first one out the door.

A coordinator or recently fired coach are at the top of my “not again” list.

Still Herman’s not the worst idea I’ve seen here. Just my .02
That’s all I was saying. Herman isn’t my 1st choice but if we end up with him I think we would be better than what we have been

Still too many P5 coaches being listed. Outside of Mario because of the hometown connection, we might get a fired P5 coach that’s a coordinator or position coach now. I just don’t see us getting a P5 coach from their current job outside Mario
So you think it will be a a coordinator or fired coach?

Advertisement
Ken Dorsey has been a NFL QB coach for years, you mean to tell me he wouldn't take a OC job at his Alma Mater. Pagano is unemployed and is 61 years old... but apparently still wants to coach, a return to Miami and college is a easier and less stressful job then the NFL. Also I never said it was realistic, I'm saying it's what I would do
Nah, you are just throwing Miami connected people out there.

Where have you heard Pagano wants to coach?

Others here in the know have said he’s not.

It’s a bye week and I’ve got time. I took a look at hiring over the last 5 years because I’ve been reading several posts and threads about HC targets for us after Manny is finally fired. I have found it interesting to see the strong opinions around who should be considered and who shouldn’t. Specifically, I’m intrigued by the people who say “we can do better,” especially in relation to candidates like Mario, Clawson, or Stoops (full disclosure: I’m for Mario). The truth is, we likely can’t do much better and it is highly likely that we we will not be able to hire another active P5 HC.

Since 2017, a total of 50 P5 head coaching jobs have become available. I could only find 5 times where an active P5 HC had been hired away from their school: Mel Tucker (‘20), Mike Leach (‘20), Dan Mullen (‘18), Willie Taggert (‘18), and Jimbo (‘18). The majority of P5 schools hire a G5 coach (18 times) or a P5 coordinator (15 times: 9 DC and 6 OC). In fact, there have been more position coaches (6) hired as a HC than a current P5 coaches. Fired head coaches that were not coordinators are another 5. There was one FCS coach hired as well.

Most likely, we will go with a G5 coach or a P5 coordinator. We would have to be an outlier to take a P5 head coach. I know you are sitting there with your turnover chain shirt thinking to yourself “yeah, but this is The U! We have south beach, bro. And no state income tax. And so much talent. It’s a top 12 job according to a bunch of random people in a magazine article!” Other big programs have gone this route, including: Auburn, Tennessee (x2), Texas (x2), and FSU. I chuckle when posters **** on P5 coaches as not being good enough because we likely won’t get one. The “we can do better” moniker is not true. If Mario or any other P5 coach were to come, we would be only the 6th program in 6 years to get a P5 HC. We would be lucky to have them.

I have grown to accept that our next coach will likely be a Napier type coach unless we take a chance on a fired guy like Herman. If we get a P5 coach, it will more likely be someone like Clawson from a smaller school. The only coach that’s taken a lateral job is Jimbo, and we aren’t paying A&M money to do that. Based on the numbers, it will probably come from a group of Mario, BOB, Herman, Malzahn and whoever the best g5 coaches are not named Fickell
This was interesting info, thanks. But Cristobal is a unique situation because of his strong ties to Miami. Some similar situations:

- Jim Harbaugh left the NFL for Michigan because of his ties there. He was 2 years removed from a Super Bowl appearance and 1 year from an NFC title game. At the time was one of the most highly sought after coaches in the NFL.

- Scott Frost was obviously not P5, but had much better options available than Nebraska at the time. He even turned down Florida, and his ties to Nebraska won out.

Cristobal’s strong connection to Miami is the only thing that gives us a chance with him. Any other coach having his success at Oregon wouldn’t take a phone call from us or most other programs. But in 2014 people also would’ve laughed if you told them Harbaugh was leaving the NFL for college. And there’s probably not many coaches in the country who would’ve turned down the Florida job for Nebraska in 2017.

Give me Lane, I want somebody that is elite at what they specialize in. I’m sick of watching sputtering offenses in this day and age of explosive offenses and he would have our O rolling. I can see recruits on D hopping on board once this thing gets back on track

Advertisement
Ken Dorsey as OC & Chuck Pagano as DC.
dr7 GIF

That’s your idea of realistic??
What’s wrong with Dorsey?

Ken Dorsey has been a NFL QB coach for years, you mean to tell me he wouldn't take a OC job at his Alma Mater. Pagano is unemployed and is 61 years old... but apparently still wants to coach, a return to Miami and college is a easier and less stressful job then the NFL. Also I never said it was realistic, I'm saying it's what I would do
Lmfao...Chuck's unemployed??...Who tf told you that BS....He retired last yr...and has absolutely No desire to coach again...Lol at apparently wants to coach again...

Advertisement
Rumor is Ken turned down 2 NFL OC offers. Maybe he felt he wasn’t ready for that level. Wants to try college first.

So you think it will be a a coordinator or fired coach?
I think playing the odds it will be a P5 coach or a coordinator. I don’t think we get another P5 coach outside of Mario. If that’s the route, I hope it’s a guy like Freeze but don’t think we have that sack to hire him

Advertisement
Back