Real talk - why the old guard of the UM BOT doesn't want Jurich

Agreed.

No one on this board - unless you're sitting in on the meetings - can give a realistic opinion on which candidate we should hire. But, generally, we can at least identify the problem in front of us and likelihood that the candidate has the traits/experience to solve them. What people seem to fail understanding is that we have a particular problem right now in 2021. We need an overhaul and transformation of an entire athletics department, inclusive of its biggest and most important sport (football). You're unlikely to achieve solving that problem with incremental steps. If the money is there (the previous excuse), then there should be evidence of more than incremental attempts by the types of candidates we seek.

:100:

And that is the challenge we face. I think Jurich would be transformative, but he has baggage. I think Alonzo would be transformative, but he lacks some specific experience at the collegiate level. I think there are a few others out there, but it is hard to judge their reciprocal interest.

We've got a shot, but we need to hit a Jankovich home run.

Advertisement
I appreciate this article and the context.
But the thing I was most jealous over was UL's 13 voting member BOT. That's a very manageable number of cats to herd. Meanwhile, at UM...

Yes. And it is why I have mentioned/proposed an Athletics Steering Committee, made up of about 10 Trustees and 10 non-Trustee former athletes and/or people with Athletics administration backgrounds.

Smaller group, more nimble, and much more INTERESTED and qualified to oversee UM Athletics.

cultural change is scaring the old boys club to death....... they are clinging to power and really value their own ego's and power over what's good for the school...... same with a lot of the Hecht team as well........ local folks have been pointing out these issues M.Navvaro, B.Jackson however K.Herbstriet pulled the band aid off the scab......and exposed BOT/SR.Mgmt at school as frauds.....

Yes. And it is why I have mentioned/proposed an Athletics Steering Committee, made up of about 10 Trustees and 10 non-Trustee former athletes and/or people with Athletics administration backgrounds.

Smaller group, more nimble, and much more INTERESTED and qualified to oversee UM Athletics.
awesome thought, seems like we are trying to please to large a group of folks

Good thread OP.

Reports are saying we should have an announcement of a hired AD in a couple of days.

Just looking at the odds of a good or bad choice, UM is due to make the right decision inspite of it self, right?

Advertisement

That would probably be the best we could hope for at UM. And even that's an uphill climb.
Once people have been given power, it's difficult to reign that power back in. Especially difficult when the overwhelming majority of those people are affluent to wealthy and have paid into the system.

Jurich is a guy that gets stuff done. The problem is the methods to get stuff done.

I've been slowly warming to the likelihood that he won't be the guy:
1) There are red flags. The article highlighted it well.
2) He's been out of employment for several years, which suggests other programs won't touch him (and those in that field likely have way more intel and chatter than we have the benefit of).
3) According to D$, the search firm doesn't want him involved.
4) UM historically has cared about public perception and optics. The optics aren't good. See point 1.

He'd be my choice but as OP mentioned, there are real stumbling blocks here.
I agree with your conclusion and assessment but sometimes you have to say ***** the optics.

@TheOriginalCane great post, and its been that way ever since Sam, it certainly was under Donna.

Also, to me one of the informative decisions to be made is on Jen Strawley. She is a worthless hire, a Donna special, but with Blake gone, she is a sort of Maginot line for the Donna disciples.
Easily worked around and rendered ineffective?

Jurich is a guy that gets stuff done. The problem is the methods to get stuff done.

I've been slowly warming to the likelihood that he won't be the guy:
1) There are red flags. The article highlighted it well.
2) He's been out of employment for several years, which suggests other programs won't touch him (and those in that field likely have way more intel and chatter than we have the benefit of).
3) According to D$, the search firm doesn't want him involved.
4) UM historically has cared about public perception and optics. The optics aren't good. See point 1.

He'd be my choice but as OP mentioned, there are real stumbling blocks here.
In football world Jurich is known as a straight BOSS, this would be the first power move UM has made this century and would show a commitment they have never demonstrated since anyone can remember, this program is **** near dead from neglect and only survives in spite of the crappy leadership at UM..

Advertisement
“All I mean is that a board of directors is one or two ambitious men--and a lot of ballast. I mean that groups of men are vacuums. Great big empty nothings. They say we can't visualize a total nothing. ****, sit at any committee meeting. The point is only who chooses to fill that nothing. It's a tough battle. The toughest. It's simple enough to fight any enemy, so long as he's there to be fought. But when he isn't. . .”

I agree with your conclusion and assessment but sometimes you have to say ***** the optics.
That's easier said then done. The BOT I presume is tasked to preserve and enhance the university's entire image, not solely the football program at any cost. Whether any of us like it or not, they have to take that into consideration. And I agree with OP that it likely is creating some real dispute internally.

Advertisement
Very good write up op! I have and will always be amazed that our government goes after the colleges like they do, yet they do nothing about our blood sucking politicians who accept more in bribes and gifts than the rest of the country combined!!!

Like I’ve said since this all started. You don’t want to hire Jurich? Fine. But, whoever you do hire should be ‘Jurich-like.’ Bold, independent, and visionary. The problem we face requires these and other traits.

Anything beneath those traits and evidence of them (clearly, not to Jurich’s level) in prior stops - even if another guy transformed some lesser aspect of a program - and we should be skeptical that we’re on a ‘new path.’

It’s infrastructure and leadership at the top. Then everything else.
Seems like highsmith is a pretty independent thinker and a great leader? I mean manny was petrified of him coming in last year. Most seem to hate he is a Miami guy. I’m more agreeing that it is not Jurich or bust like a lot of our fans are painting it to be.

I’ll never get why, like Butch Davis, this place becomes so obsessively enamored with guys literally no other programs will touch with a ten foot pole.

Advertisement

And that is the challenge we face. I think Jurich would be transformative, but he has baggage. I think Alonzo would be transformative, but he lacks some specific experience at the collegiate level. I think there are a few others out there, but it is hard to judge their reciprocal interest.

Do you think if Alonzo was hired it would me manny is most likely terminated after the move he pulled last year?

Alonzo is a bright guy and executive experience at the NFL level. He mentored the current GM for the Seahawks who only has great things to say about Alonzo. I would think he realizes he would need a couple of experienced associate athletic directors who understand the ins and outs of the NCAA.

636421200775578380-Jurich02.jpg

You're telling me we can have this guy as our AD, but we are going to go green and hire Zo or Nunez because we are worried about what the public will perceive of us? Jurich would kill it here

Advertisement
Back