Real talk...Evaluations

Larry

All-American
Regardless of what happens tomorrow...it just needs to be said...EVALUATIONS and subsequently PLAYER DEVELOPMENT are/is what is going to bring this University back out of the dark ages.

Recruiting all of these five and four star local studs...that just speeds up the process...but South Florida is just too loaded EVERY YEAR (no such thing as a "down year" in South Florida) to have an excuse for not filling spots, for not having enough talent, etc.

From 2009 to 2012, Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach Counties have produced upward of 130 prospects that range from "great" to "contributor" around the country...with that number sure to rise over the course of the next few seasons as players continue to develop. An expanded snap shot of the talent that these counties in this little section of the country has developed...and, I'm sure I'm missing quite a few players that slipped my mind when putting this list together.

QB
Geno Smith
Denard Robinson
Stephen Morris
Ryan Williams
Teddy Bridgewater
Jake Rudock
Jacoby Brissett
Rakeem Cato
Faton Bauta
EJ Hilliard
David Thompson

RB
Lamar Miller
Trabis Ward
Vincent Smith
Branden Oliver
Gio Bernard
Eduardo Clements
James White
Kedrick Rhodes
Devonta Freeman
Anthon Samuel
Hosey Williams
Kevin Grooms
Duke Johnson
Brandon Radcliff
Jeff Scott

WR
Rantavious Wooten
Rodney Smith
Stedman Bailey
Sterling Griffin
Gary Bush
Conner Vernon
Chris Dunkley
Sticks McCartney
Michaelee Harris
Quinton Dunbar
Darius Millines
Allen Hurns
Corvin Lamb
Greg Dent
Rashad Greene
Kelvin Benjamin
Phillip Dorsett
Eli Rogers
Tommy Shuler
Robert Lockhart
Amari Cooper
Ricardo Louis
Angelo Jean-Louis
Avery Johnson
Herb Waters

TE
Gabe Holmes
Gerald Christian
Clive Walford
Kendall Montgomery
Max Beaulieu
Nick O'Leary

OL
Jared Wheeler
Henry Orelus
Antwan Lowery
Jermaine Barton
Jonathan Feliciano
Joe McNamera
Brandon Linder
Shane McDermott
Jacob Wheeler
Bobby Hart
Ruben Carter
John Miller
Avery Young
Jessamen Dunker
Ereck Flowers
Patrick Miller
Nacho Garcia
Danny Isidora

DL
Olivier Vernon
Ed stinson
David Gilbert
Jose Jose
Todd Chandler
Richard Ash
Corey Lemonier
Elkino Watson
BJ Dubose
Desmond Hollin
Jelani Hamilton
Dwayne Hoilett
Brian Cox Jr.
Abens Cajuste

LB
Shane Gordon
Gideon Ajagbe
Ralph Williams
Darrin Kitchens
Jamaal Bass
Ryan Shazier
Curt Maggitt
Denzel Perryman
Gabe Terry
James Burgess
Keith Brown
Jawand Blue

DB
Xavier Rhodes
Kemal Ishmael
Jonathan Cyprien
Kayvon Webster
Brandon McGee
Jayron Hosley
Josh Robinson
Phillip Thomas
Matt Elam
Demar Dorsey
Adrian Witty
Lamarcus Joyner
Nickell Robey
Merril Noel
Peniel Jean
Jabari Price
Marcus Roberson
Wayne Lyons
Gerod Holliman
Jabari Gorman
Jermaine Reve
Robenson Therezie
Andrew Johnson
Johnathan Aiken
Thomas Finnie
Deon Bush
Tracy Howard
AJ Leggett
Tony Grimes

ST
Jordan Cowart
Quincy McDuffie
Wayne Times
Brendan Gibbons
Ben Turk
Mike Palardy
Marshall Morgan
Jamaal Berry

---

In South Florida alone, there are essentially two players for every scholarship available...think about that for a minute...then come back. This is not even the players that "bust" that are already highly regarded as preps...its guys that are contributors or better and the list isn't even complete.

No excuse for not turning over every single rock, evaluating every prospects (regardless of the realistic nature of that endeavor), recruiting everyone...

If you miss out on an Alex Collins, there is at least one runner, maybe more, not further than a stone's throw away from being just as good as a collegiate, if not better, and likely being recruited by a directional or state school. On Signing Day...ANY SIGNING DAY...there is no reason for Miami not to come away with talent.

Evaluating and knowing which players you can make into stars is why Butch Davis, coming off sanctions and scholarship reductions can accumulate more talent on a college football field than ever seen before.

Evaluate. Evaluate. Evaluate.

Develop.

Fin.

Just win. No excuses.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
You will not get enough credit for the time and effort you put into your post.

It didn't take that much time...I follow college football pretty heavily, there were only a few guys I needed to double check on.

I agree with you totally Larry but I'm not sure the staff does, I think (at least it appears) that the staff has gotten tired, for this year at least, of the sofl kids and their recruiting drama and have opted for oos state studs like sandland, AQM, dobard, Olsen etc.

Advertisement
I agree with you totally Larry but I'm not sure the staff does, I think (at least it appears) that the staff has gotten tired, for this year at least, of the sofl kids and their recruiting drama and have opted for oos state studs like sandland, AQM, dobard, Olsen etc.

Those are kids you take any year IMO. What this is more in reference to, IMO, is a situation like the one with Collins shouldn't leave us without a RB this cycle if indeed the staff feels we need one and that his replacement shouldn't be Gus Edwards but rather someone like Chestnut/Tice/etc.

Advertisement
This is where RS fell flat on his face and where Golden needs to be on point as you just pointed out.

This is the problem...there are plenty of SoFla recruits (as illustrated here) that don't come with the drama.

Are those players ready to play tomorrow like an Alex Collins? No. Will they develop by their third, fourth, fifth year? Without question...yes.

Not SoFla related, but similarly...

We recruited Danny Dillard last year...the runner before Danny Dillard at Venice HS was Dri Archer...small as ****, recruited to play at Kent State...he just ran for 1400 yards and is an NFL prospect for the 2014 Draft. We write off guys really early and look for players to contribute right away...we need to get back to player development.

Back to SoFla related...sure, Deon Bush is a stud and can play from Day 1...Jonathan Cyprien and Kemal Ishmael developed into first team All-Conference players and will be playing on Sundays...we heard this same story with the likes of Louis Delmas and Darius Butler and Josh Robinson before them...it just happens way too much for us to have a staff that ignores it...and I'm not saying this staff is ignoring them, but perhaps they put too many eggs in one basket this year and history has proven you're silly if you do so, because SoFla has a guy that will often be just as good right down the road.

Advertisement
Agree completely. look at the NFL stars from the state that were lightly recruited. The talent is there. Just need to find them.

Would be real nice if Dillard had near the impact the Archer had at Kent State.

This is the problem...there are plenty of SoFla recruits (as illustrated here) that don't come with the drama.

Are those players ready to play tomorrow like an Alex Collins? No. Will they develop by their third, fourth, fifth year? Without question...yes.

Not SoFla related, but similarly...

We recruited Danny Dillard last year...the runner before Danny Dillard at Venice HS was Dri Archer...small as ****, recruited to play at Kent State...he just ran for 1400 yards and is an NFL prospect for the 2014 Draft. We write off guys really early and look for players to contribute right away...we need to get back to player development.

Back to SoFla related...sure, Deon Bush is a stud and can play from Day 1...Jonathan Cyprien and Kemal Ishmael developed into first team All-Conference players and will be playing on Sundays...we heard this same story with the likes of Louis Delmas and Darius Butler and Josh Robinson before them...it just happens way too much for us to have a staff that ignores it...and I'm not saying this staff is ignoring them, but perhaps they put too many eggs in one basket this year and history has proven you're silly if you do so, because SoFla has a guy that will often be just as good right down the road.

I hope you aren't inferring that the current staff isn't doing these things. He's virtually signed one class that he's had a chance to follow for over a year. This year will be year two. How bout you wait until the class gets signed tomorrow before going all dramatic.

Last years class has plenty of guys that fit your description and they've panned out quite nicely.

We'll see who is proven correct.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back