Off-Topic Read This Book for Insight

I know I come off strong sometimes, but I really try to base my opinions off "Empirical" research vs someone's opinion or talking head rabble riser, @Suhrthing. Took a class years ago for a friend that worked long hours and was trying to complete his degree. One of the textbooks was "Who Rules America - Power, Politics and Social Change" by G. William Domhoff. The book changed how I look at society and what I believed to fact about many subjects. The author also cites his hundreds of research sources so one can validate his findings. Important to note "findings" versus opinion. Don't mean to give reading assignments, but it's important so we can be less influenced by those with alternative agendas.

1654690340832.png

Advertisement
I can't tell if this is a callout thread or not. You seem sincere...
Either way, apparently G. William Domhoff got his PhD in Psychology from UM back in 1962, so it's tangentially Canes related (and not the dumbest thing I've read on this board today). So I'll allow it!

But I am curious to know what grade you got for your friend? Be honest.

I know I come off strong sometimes, but I really try to base my opinions off "Empirical" research vs someone's opinion or talking head rabble riser, @Suhrthing. Took a class years ago for a friend that worked long hours and was trying to complete his degree. One of the textbooks was "Who Rules America - Power, Politics and Social Change" by G. William Domhoff. The book changed how I look at society and what I believed to fact about many subjects. The author also cites his hundreds of research sources so one can validate his findings. Important to note "findings" versus opinion. Don't mean to give reading assignments, but it's important so we can be less influenced by those with alternative agendas.

View attachment 188655
ordered.

He's also a Fighting Banana Slug!!

Advertisement
How about a cliff notes version?
I’ll take you through the volumes:

1. Rich people/politicians at ruining everything.
2. Rich white people are ruining everything
3. Rich white Republicans are ruining everything
4. Repeat a version of #3 every couple of years

I can't tell if this is a callout thread or not. You seem sincere...
Either way, apparently G. William Domhoff got his PhD in Psychology from UM back in 1962, so it's tangentially Canes related (and not the dumbest thing I've read on this board today). So I'll allow it!

But I am curious to know what grade you got for your friend? Be honest.
He got an A for the course. He ended up graduating with Honors in Public Administration. I earned an MBA in 1989 from USF.

Advertisement
Mine is all marked up with highlighter and notes. Times have changed, but a lot of the insights are incredible. Like to hear your thoughts even if you don't read the whole book. I think you'll find the Northern Cali campground very interesting.
Im hoping there is big print and lots of pictures.

Im not a strong reader.

🤣

Im hoping there is big print and lots of pictures.

Im not a strong reader.

🤣
I read often, but only fiction as an escape. America is so divided I worry about my grandkid's future and safety. I think we both know some ugly stuff coming. Seriously considered moving to England or a Scandinavian country (no guns) but didn't want to leave my son or daughter behind in these battling time. Plus I felt I'd be letting my detractors run me out.

I read often, but only fiction as an escape. America is so divided I worry about my grandkid's future and safety. I think we both know some ugly stuff coming. Seriously considered moving to England or a Scandinavian country (no guns) but didn't want to leave my son or daughter behind in these battling time. Plus I felt I'd be letting my detractors run me out.
Says the dude calling everyone a racist lol.

Says the dude calling everyone a racist lol.
Not true! I'm far to smart to call every White person a racist. Without the Just and Moral White peoples who wants America to live up to it's Constitution and Bill of Rights, no telling where we'd be. To all the White Peoples who believe in Democracy, The Constitution and Civil Rights, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.

Advertisement
This is from a review on Amazon…

An Indispensable Exposé on How Our Democracy REALLY Works!
Reviewed in the United States on May 12, 2006

Professor Domhoff poses (and answers) these questions:

- Is there a wealthy class in America? If so, do they connect in any empirical way with huge corporations, financial institutions, and large agribusinesses?

- How can a highly competitive group of corporate leaders cooperate enough to work their common will in the political and policy arenas?

- How is it possible for these groups to exert so much influence in a supposedly free and democratic society?

The answers to these questions are not secret, but neither are they everyday news. With the aid of sociological and empirical studies, Domhoff describes the extensive interlocking relationships between the very wealthy class, huge corporations, trade organizations, policy planning organizations, think tanks, and the many ways they influence (and even merge with) our government. After reading this book, one might wonder if the welfare of the common people is ever taken into account in government decisions. And that is the point. Indeed, Domhoff clearly demonstrates that most policy battles in government, though cloaked in rhetoric about the general welfare, are actually fights among different moneyed and powerful interests when their usual interrelationships and consensus building organizations (above) are unable to produce a united front.

For a focus on how corporate power has gained control in diverse policy areas in Congress, see recently published (5/1/06) Hostile Takeover: How Big Money and Corruption Conquered Our Government -- and How We Take It Back by David Sirota. With unusual clarity, Sirota's book also lays bare the myths and lies that corporations and bought-off politicians use to mask the self-serving nature of policies and to promote public acquiescence. Another excellent book, Captive State: The Corporate Takeover of Britain by George Monbiot, underscores the worldwide nature of this problem.

This book also has an informative website at [...]

This is from a review on Amazon…

An Indispensable Exposé on How Our Democracy REALLY Works!
Reviewed in the United States on May 12, 2006

Professor Domhoff poses (and answers) these questions:

- Is there a wealthy class in America? If so, do they connect in any empirical way with huge corporations, financial institutions, and large agribusinesses?

- How can a highly competitive group of corporate leaders cooperate enough to work their common will in the political and policy arenas?

- How is it possible for these groups to exert so much influence in a supposedly free and democratic society?

The answers to these questions are not secret, but neither are they everyday news. With the aid of sociological and empirical studies, Domhoff describes the extensive interlocking relationships between the very wealthy class, huge corporations, trade organizations, policy planning organizations, think tanks, and the many ways they influence (and even merge with) our government. After reading this book, one might wonder if the welfare of the common people is ever taken into account in government decisions. And that is the point. Indeed, Domhoff clearly demonstrates that most policy battles in government, though cloaked in rhetoric about the general welfare, are actually fights among different moneyed and powerful interests when their usual interrelationships and consensus building organizations (above) are unable to produce a united front.

For a focus on how corporate power has gained control in diverse policy areas in Congress, see recently published (5/1/06) Hostile Takeover: How Big Money and Corruption Conquered Our Government -- and How We Take It Back by David Sirota. With unusual clarity, Sirota's book also lays bare the myths and lies that corporations and bought-off politicians use to mask the self-serving nature of policies and to promote public acquiescence. Another excellent book, Captive State: The Corporate Takeover of Britain by George Monbiot, underscores the worldwide nature of this problem.

This book also has an informative website at [...]
The problem is people want somebody to tell them what to think or only read someone who shares their opinion.

Advertisement
The problem is people want somebody to tell them what to think or only read someone who shares their opinion.
That is tru for some people. But sometimes reviews help paint a picture and I use them as a whole to gauge my interest when purchasing things. This was the most comprehensive review and someone asked about cliff notes so I thought I’d share for people to take it for what it is.

I’d read it, but I’m already backed up on stuff to read at the moment. I am reading a book currently that exposes the ties that wealthy people and many congress persons (which got wealthy in congress) have ties to China and gained wealth by promoting them. It hits people on both sides of the aisle… but it’s crazy detailed and is a slow read for me. But it’s interesting nonetheless.

Thanks for the share

That is tru for some people. But sometimes reviews help paint a picture and I use them as a whole to gauge my interest when purchasing things. This was the most comprehensive review and someone asked about cliff notes so I thought I’d share for people to take it for what it is.

I’d read it, but I’m already backed up on stuff to read at the moment. I am reading a book currently that exposes the ties that wealthy people and many congress persons (which got wealthy in congress) have ties to China and gained wealth by promoting them. It hits people on both sides of the aisle… but it’s crazy detailed and is a slow read for me. But it’s interesting nonetheless.

Thanks for the share
Please share the book. The premise you just stated, addresses my primary premise. That the Governmental Officials doing these things are White. It's not an indictment on all White People, but an attempt to show who is really causing Americas problems.

Please share the book. The premise you just stated, addresses my primary premise. That the Governmental Officials doing these things are White. It's not an indictment on all White People, but an attempt to show who is really causing Americas problems.
Yeah... the book I'm reading is not saying that it's only white people... just rich elites (which is a higher percentage white peeps). LeBron is on the cover (but I haven't got to his part yet) and Elon Musk (who's also African American... I luv whomever came up with that funny! lol)... so not just rich whitey!

The book is called Red Handed. Here is a link to read up on it...
Amazon product ASIN 0063061147

Yeah... the book I'm reading is not saying that it's only white people... just rich elites (which is a higher percentage white peeps). LeBron is on the cover (but I haven't got to his part yet) and Elon Musk (who's also African American... I luv whomever came up with that funny! lol)... so not just rich whitey!

The book is called Red Handed. Here is a link to read up on it...
Amazon product ASIN 0063061147
Thanks, but Elon Musk AA! Then I must be Super AA

Advertisement
Back