Re-Watching the OL vs Toledo

2Focusd804

Junior
Premium
1st drive- OL looks pretty unathletic across the board. Mahoney is the only one who has looked the part pulling and he lacks the power to move people consistently. Particularly disppointed in St. Louis. Got beat in pass pro with an arm chop, unable to latch and stay engaged on the 2nd level. Donaldson shows decent power on down blocks, but as noted struggled to get to the 2nd level blocks. Jordan was a pleasant surprise, he's not moving anybody 10 yards downfield but he was an effective turn and shield block and stayed engaged well. Mallory got tossed 2x by LB on 2nd level blocks. He's going to need more strength and reps

2nd drive- Choc looks tentative as a lead blocker. On the play action shot to thomas we had a 6 man protection and they brought 6 but got a late free rusher because Mahoney and Donaldson didn't account for the blitzer. Mahoney should have took the DT and Donaldson te LB. Mahoney ended up blocking nobody. 3rd and 9 Gauthier and Mahoney excecuted an great zone step to pass off the noseguard to Mahoney and let Gauther get to the LB. St. Louis guy is pass rushing and he takes him for a ride, Jahair actually pancaked a guy.

3rd drive- Boulware in for Jones. Immediately can tell he's more athletic, getting to the 2nd level on the zone block. St. Louis too slow cutting off the backside and gets beat inside and gives up a tackle for a loss on Linguard. Gauthier and Mahoney once again looking like veterans passing off defenders in the zone blocking. Donaldson way too high and gets jacked into the backfield as well. Him and St. Louis can share responsibility for the tackle for loss. oline has been great in pass pro. Rosier bailed and ran with a clean pocket. Couldn't see if everybody was covered or he just has happy feet.

4th drive- Boulware looks good moving, St. Louis once again poor in space. Whoo Mahoney got his pads low and uprooted the DT. Pass Pro has been excellent minus St. Louis getting beat on the first drive. Oline blew them off the ball on 3rd n short with Gray FB dive. Boulware helped Gauthier in pass pro, didn't have any one to block and went and blasted the guy St. Louis already had walled off. That's an olineman's mentality.

5th drive- Jones back in at LG. Tried to run buck sweep (pulls both the LG and Center) and St. Louis gone blown up and lineman couldn't pull around. Homer did a great job avoiding negative yards. They sent 5 on 3rd down, blitz got picked up but Gauthier got over powered and beat.

6th drive- Mallory continues to struggle blocking LB but the heart is there. needs to better use his hands and length to not let them get into his chest but i suspect thats a technique and strength thing. St. Louis continues to struggle with cutting off someone in his inside gap when the LG pulls away. Gauthier got a really nice turn block. St. Louis finally got the inside gap on the zone run, Jones cut the LB on the 2nd level. First time the whole online won on the zone and Dallas gets an easy 8
Sidenote- Dallas is RB1, especially with this oline and its not even close
St. Louis showed some good quickness getting inside on the zone run but didn't bring his hands and got jacked. I see why the coaches like Mahoney, hes a technician in the zone run game, knowing when to pass a defender off and peel to the 2nd level. On Rosier touchdown Jones pulls and....hits no one. he had 2 people inside, chased the outside LB and still got beat. Another player that struggles hitting targets in space

end of first half, might do 2nd half later

Thoughts. Boulware should start at LG and people want to put Donaldson back at Guard but St. Louis was our worst offensive lineman in the first half. I'd rank them

Mahoney
Gauthier
Boulware
Donaldson
Jones
St. Louis

Boulware might be higher if he had more reps no clue why he doesn't start

Advertisement
1st drive- OL looks pretty unathletic across the board. Mahoney is the only one who has looked the part pulling and he lacks the power to move people consistently. Particularly disppointed in St. Louis. Got beat in pass pro with an arm chop, unable to latch and stay engaged on the 2nd level. Donaldson shows decent power on down blocks, but as noted struggled to get to the 2nd level blocks. Jordan was a pleasant surprise, he's not moving anybody 10 yards downfield but he was an effective turn and shield block and stayed engaged well. Mallory got tossed 2x by LB on 2nd level blocks. He's going to need more strength and reps

2nd drive- Choc looks tentative as a lead blocker. On the play action shot to thomas we had a 6 man protection and they brought 6 but got a late free rusher because Mahoney and Donaldson didn't account for the blitzer. Mahoney should have took the DT and Donaldson te LB. Mahoney ended up blocking nobody. 3rd and 9 Gauthier and Mahoney excecuted an great zone step to pass off the noseguard to Mahoney and let Gauther get to the LB. St. Louis guy is pass rushing and he takes him for a ride, Jahair actually pancaked a guy.

3rd drive- Boulware in for Jones. Immediately can tell he's more athletic, getting to the 2nd level on the zone block. St. Louis too slow cutting off the backside and gets beat inside and gives up a tackle for a loss on Linguard. Gauthier and Mahoney once again looking like veterans passing off defenders in the zone blocking. Donaldson way too high and gets jacked into the backfield as well. Him and St. Louis can share responsibility for the tackle for loss. oline has been great in pass pro. Rosier bailed and ran with a clean pocket. Couldn't see if everybody was covered or he just has happy feet.

4th drive- Boulware looks good moving, St. Louis once again poor in space. Whoo Mahoney got his pads low and uprooted the DT. Pass Pro has been excellent minus St. Louis getting beat on the first drive. Oline blew them off the ball on 3rd n short with Gray FB dive. Boulware helped Gauthier in pass pro, didn't have any one to block and went and blasted the guy St. Louis already had walled off. That's an olineman's mentality.

5th drive- Jones back in at LG. Tried to run buck sweep (pulls both the LG and Center) and St. Louis gone blown up and lineman couldn't pull around. Homer did a great job avoiding negative yards. They sent 5 on 3rd down, blitz got picked up but Gauthier got over powered and beat.

6th drive- Mallory continues to struggle blocking LB but the heart is there. needs to better use his hands and length to not let them get into his chest but i suspect thats a technique and strength thing. St. Louis continues to struggle with cutting off someone in his inside gap when the LG pulls away. Gauthier got a really nice turn block. St. Louis finally got the inside gap on the zone run, Jones cut the LB on the 2nd level. First time the whole online won on the zone and Dallas gets an easy 8
St. Louis showed some good quickness getting inside on the zone run but didn't bring his hands and got jacked. I see why the coaches like Mahoney, hes a technician in the zone run game, knowing when to pass a defender off and peel to the 2nd level. On Rosier touchdown Jones pulls and....hits no one. he had 2 people inside, chased the outside LB and still got beat. Another player that struggles hitting targets in space

Thoughts. Boulware should start at LG and people want to put Donaldson back at Guard but St. Louis was our worst offensive lineman in the first half. I'd rank them

Mahoney
Gauthier
Boulware
Donaldson
Jones
St. Louis

Great post, if some our young back-ups get in this weekend(and this better be a blowout) would love to get your thoughts on those guys who really seem to have a higher upside than our upperclassmen

I wish Gaynor would get more reps, Boulware started for Jones, and Donaldson moves inside where he belongs.

Advertisement
I rewatched it last night, too. Agree St Louis struggled. He was better at RT. Overall the OL did much better with their zone blocking though. I loved the fact they played Reed on the first series, and substituted a ton.

My biggest concern outside of Knowles was the LBs. They have some highlights, but took way too many risks and were burnt time and again because of it. Stats won't show it, but Shaq had a bad game., Pickney, equally bad, McCloud was the invisible man, and his replacement, Smith was up-and-down, too.

On the other hand, I thought Finley played pretty well overall. And before he was injured, Johnson was impressive, definitely lived up to his AA rating.

Mahoney
Gauthier
Boulware
Donaldson
Jones
St. Louis

Great post brother...really appreciate it.

I rewatched it last night, too. Agree St Louis struggled. He was better at RT. Overall the OL did much better with their zone blocking though. I loved the fact they played Reed on the first series, and substituted a ton.

My biggest concern outside of Knowles was the LBs. They have some highlights, but took way too many risks and were burnt time and again because of it. Stats won't show it, but Shaq had a bad game., Pickney, equally bad, McCloud was the invisible man, and his replacement, Smith was up-and-down, too.

On the other hand, I thought Finley played pretty well overall. And before he was injured, Johnson was impressive, definitely lived up to his AA rating.

Reed played? was it in the 2nd half? I might need to watch that now

Advertisement
The thing I noticed is how poorly the left side of the line communicated on stunts. Toledo was running these basic 2 man stunts and repeatedly we would end up blocking one guy and let the other one through. Now that play is on film and I expect VT to use it.

Advertisement
Back