2023 RB Mark Fletcher (commits to OSU* & De-Commits)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
The year before he won the Super Bowl when they didn't have Terrell Davis they were 8-8 I believe. I might be off by a year.
They went 8-8 in his first season in 1995, improved in 1996 and won in 97 and 98.

They went 8-8 in his first season in 1995, improved in 1996 and won in 97 and 98.
I had a feeling I was off. I think in 1996 Terrell won Team MVP. Man if only Dan had a RB all those years. Uggg

It was really a great combination of Mike Shanahan’s offense, very good talent on the line and at skill spots and Elway finally realizing he didn’t have to force ridiculous throws into coverage. It’s wild that John Elway became a much better passer late in his career after arm surgeries and age made his once nuclear arm into something more on par with an average NFL quarterback. The first 2/3 of his career I thought he was incredibly overrated. He threw a ton of interceptions and was just kind of living off his reputation from “the drive”. When he got older he was so much better. More accurate, less turnovers. I’m sure having a better team around him played a big part but he was masterful late in his career.

RIP to one of the best ever. Alex Gibbs.

I had a feeling I was off. I think in 1996 Terrell won Team MVP. Man if only Dan had a RB all those years. Uggg
I think Dan had the unfortunate fate of being part of a good team that was unable to keep up with other teams talent. There was no cap space till 1994 and the 80s in which he played were dominated by the NFC and players and coaches who are now widely regarded as some of the finest units, players and coaches that have ever been in football. You had the 49ers, Washington, the Giants, the Bears, the Cowboys and then it translated into the Cap Space era with the Packers and later on the Broncos. Out of the NFC teams I listed, outside of Mike Ditka in 85, all of them are Hall of Fame Head Coaches.

And these Super Bowls were brutal onesided beatdowns at times.

Edit: Just checked the Super Bowls between 1980 and 1996. NFC won all except two.

Advertisement

E76823D7-6E29-4FB1-997A-B4E3158BF60E.jpeg

I'm a huge dolphin and Marino fan. He had magical ability. He won zero SBs and would have to be argued in to the top 5 of his own generation. Many fans today aren't even aware of how good he actually was, which is sad but true. His career was stunning if you lived through it and saw it close up but his statistical accomplishments have been overshadowed in the modern era and all that's left is the post season record.

Nobody has to argue about the level of player generational is meant to signify. Manning and Rodgers played in the Brady era. All they accomplished is compared to him. The reason nobody says oh he's the next Brady is because noone is dumb enough to think a player of his caliber is likely to come along and it would be foolish to project any kid at that level.

That's a legit barometer for the type of player we are talking about. If the player is so good you can't even consider comparing a prospect to him because it is laughable to think its possible someone can compare then that is a generational player.

To me generational means once in a 20 to 30 year span. That is my definition but it doesn't have to be yours.

I fully understand your position. You want to use generational to describe any player with physical traits that can be utilized to achieve a particular level of greatness. I believe this superlative should only be used on players who have actually harnessed their talent and dominated at the highest levels in a way that is unbelievable. On this point we can disagree and leave it at that.
No the reason they don’t say “oh he's the next Brady” is cuz Tom is extraordinarily average. All the more reason he’s the goat cause he beat way more talented QB’s his entire career. Peyton has lost more talent than Brady could ever have but Brady is the quintessential winner. The generational TALENT was always manning even if he never got out of toms shadow

Advertisement
Advertisement
This man changed his name and went from blogging about Bahama Mamas at the doubletree in Orlando to CIS insider. Cot **** I love CIS.

Advertisement
It wasn't solely because of Davis. Elway retired and the team plummeted. They simply had a loaded roster, half of their O-Line was in the Pro Bowl, Elway could still throw it and he had Ed McCaffrey, Rod Smith and Shannon Sharpe.

That Broncos team was just a really good unit.
True. No QB wins a Super Bowl with a bad team. No one is that good.

No the reason they don’t say “oh he's the next Brady” is cuz Tom is extraordinarily average. All the more reason he’s the goat cause he beat way more talented QB’s his entire career. Peyton has lost more talent than Brady could ever have but Brady is the quintessential winner. The generational TALENT was always manning even if he never got out of toms shadow
Except at reading a defense and winning. And that’s what counts.

Save the so-called talent competitions for meaningless QB challenges.

The year before he won the Super Bowl when they didn't have Terrell Davis they were 8-8 I believe. I might be off by a year.
How many Super Bowl appearances or rings does Barry Sanders have? Tomlinson? Adrian Peterson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back