RB Delay / jet sweeps

iLoveTDs

Junior
Banned
Why don’t we ever see these simple plays?

We literally do nothing to keep defenses guessing. No jet sweeps, no RB delays, no motion pre snap.

We are so predictable on offense it’s criminal.

Last year we mixed in a few wrinkles in the run game for 2 games. And it worked. Make it a part of your every game playbook.

How does Samfords OC get guys open? They had over 460 yards passing against a solid FSU defense. And don’t just tell me it’s the QB. Their system is light years ahead of ours.

Last edited:
Advertisement
That's why our run game struggles. The line isn't good enough to do the same thing over and over with no change. Richter has to find more creative ways to get the run game going. Teams know that Rosier isn't consistent enough to beat them.

You realize we ran a fake jet sweep against LSU on the Rosier TD, right? You will see that more often going forward.

BTW, in the first 2 games we are way more versatile in the Red Zone then we were all of last year. Which is why we have scored TD's on all Red Zone possessions versus the awful percentage we were last year.

Advertisement
maybe we don't run them bc the receivers run by malik to fast that he can't hand off the ball correctly

You realize we ran a fake jet sweep against LSU on the Rosier TD, right? You will see that more often going forward.

I said it needs to be a part of our every-game playbook. This whole wait for 2 games a year to mix things up is fvckin idiotic.

His offense is complete ****. And I've yet to see a simple RB delay handoff. Just give me something, consistently, to keep the defense off balance. We don't do it. You know it, I know it, Richt knows it.

And don't get me started on this crappy passing attack. It's old school, and easy as fvck to defend. Ask any DC we've played. They laugh.

There's a reason UGA forced Richt to bring in an OC (Mike Bobo). And SHOCKER, the offensive #'s went up big time.

www.footballoutsiders.com - take a look for yourself.

I said it needs to be a part of our every-game playbook. This whole wait for 2 games a year to mix things up is fvckin idiotic.

His offense is complete ****. And I've yet to see a simple RB delay handoff. Just give me something, consistently, to keep the defense off balance. We don't do it. You know it, I know it, Richt knows it.

And don't get me started on this crappy passing attack. It's old school, and easy as fvck to defend. Ask any DC we've played. They laugh.

There's a reason UGA forced Richt to bring in an OC (Mike Bobo). And SHOCKER, the offensive #'s went up big time.

www.footballoutsiders.com - take a look for yourself.

Actually you asked why we have never seen a jet sweep and I gave you an answer.

Advertisement
I've been waiting for the jet sweep for 2 years. You've got guys like Thomas and Harley in the slot that could create havoc on those and the action that can come off of a fake. We need way more motion in our offense.

There's so much you can do off of it. It keeps the safeties honest.

We could run a jet sweep PA, and have JT on a deep post. Our we could give it to Lingard, Pope, Harley, DJ on the sweep action. Or fake the sweep and handoff to Homer up the middle. Or fake the sweep one way and throw a bubble the other way. On and on and on....

Very simple to add into any playbook. It's an easy way to get the ball in playmakers hands.

And SSU would be the perfect game to start implementing it. They would have to get the timing down - but it wouldn't take long.

Actually you asked why we have never seen a jet sweep and I gave you an answer.

Good job, you proved me wrong. We've seen it ONE time this season, and maybe a total of 3 or 4 times since Richt arrived.

Haven't seen a HB delay that I can recall. The point is - these are fvckin simple concepts that keeps defenders on their heels.

Why don’t we ever see these simple plays?

We literally do nothing to keep defenses guessing. No jet sweeps, no RB delays, no motion pre snap.

We are so predictable on offense it’s criminal.

Last year we mixed in a few wrinkles in the run game for 2 games. And it worked. Make it a part of your every game playbook.

How does Samfords OC get guys open? They had over 460 yards passing against a solid FSU defense. And don’t just tell me it’s the QB. Their system is light years ahead of ours.

Scary, and mostly accurate I think.

We are getting Richt 2.0, which is what UGA did not like, thus forcing him to play head coach the second half of his Athens tenure.

The mindset is, I am going to save my Alma Mater by bringing real $EC football down there, where I will get my son a great job and show the world all I have learned about running the RPO with that talent down there.

I'm worried the guy has seriously lost the ability to see the forest for the trees. As I said the last 2 seasons, unfortunately, if you have what have in your OL...adjust the playcalling to work to what very few strengths they have...don't keep banging our collective heads into a wall. Moreover, be willing to coach rookie / young QB mistakes and take those over 5th year senior inconsistent mistakes....it will help now and next year.

UM

Advertisement
The main reason Richt stepped down as OC was not because of play calling. It was because the AD wanted him more involved in fund raising and university related duties. He could not juggle both and basically he was forced to give up OC duties. Bobo had never been an OC before. He learned everything from Richt. If Richt play calling was so bad the AD would not have allowed his disciple to take over the responsibility. He would have hired an OC hot shot from outside the program. We are two games in but from what I see the play calling is much better, more versatile, better route trees, excellent red zone calls. The fact the OL has played like crap and Rosier being Rosier is hiding the fact that Richt has gotten his groove back with the play calling.

I see us having players wide open all the time. The running game is more concern to me as to why its been stuck for 3 years. I don't like our blocking scheme

Advertisement
I see us having players wide open all the time. The running game is more concern to me as to why its been stuck for 3 years. I don't like our blocking scheme

Such an exaggeration. Wide open all the time? Gtfoh

Go watch the sky cam from LSU game. Outside of that final drive in the 4th quarter we didn't have wide open WRs all game.

We never open up the middle of the field. Slot WRs never slip over the middle for big gains. Outside of the occasional JT deep post, we throw bubble screens, RPO slants, and deep sideline 1v1 balls. That's it.

calling a jet sweep would solve all our issues.....

magic-trick-animated-gif-2.gif

What’s the fascination with the jet sweep ?

It opens up a lot of options. I listed a few above.

Plus we have the slot guys to run it (JT, DJ, Pope, Lingard, Harley). It's simple to run. Like I said, we did it in 2 games last year and whadda ya know, it worked. (and that was against VT & ND defense).

Should be a staple of our offense. It fits in well with the pistol look and RPOs.

What I like most about the sweep action is what it opens up downfield in the passing game. Safeties and OLB's tend to hesitate when seeing a slot guy motion across on a PA jet sweep - this could really open up the middle of the field for JT, Cager, and Richards. Deep crossing routes/shallow drags/deep posts/fly routes.

Advertisement
Back