RB Anthony Williams in touch with Hickson, has rising interest in UM

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
With the commitment of Chaminade-Madonna 4-star Thad Franklin, the Miami Hurricanes got off to a great start in running back recruiting for the 2021 class. However, with the plan to take two backs this cycle, RB coach Eric Hickson visited Lake Brantley (FL) and extended an offer to 3-star Anthony Williams in late January as Miami continues to search for a compliment to Franklin.

“I found out the week before the dead period, coach Hickson came to the school and offered me that day,” Williams said. “It was kind of unreal, because the U has been a big school for year and years. I previously had one of my teammates, Damarius Good, committed to Miami and he was going to go there. Just seeing him almost go there, and knowing how big of a deal that was, it was a surreal feeling.”

Since then, Williams has kept in touch with Hickson, and the pair have been building a relationship in recent weeks.

“[Hickson] just tells me being a Hurricane is a big responsibility, because it’s one of the top schools in the nation,” Williams said. “They’re just so prestigious and there’s such a big culture to live up to. He just says how good of a player I am and how I could fit into any system with my build.”

With the UM offer now in hand, Williams has done more research on the program and says his interest in Miami continues to rise.

“Obviously, their graduation rate is very high, they graduate a lot of their players,” Williams said of UM. “Their academics are great, the football team is great, the city is great. I just love Miami.”

Williams actually showed up at Paradise Camp his freshman year, and hopes to make a return visit to Miami sometime over the summer. In terms of other schools, Williams’ father Anthony Sr. actually played for Florida State in the mid-80’s as a defensive lineman, but the younger Williams is still waiting on an offer from the Noles. Other schools Williams said have been coming after him hard include Pitt, UCF, Florida, and Louisville.

“I was supposed to go to the junior days at Florida and Florida State, but the virus shut it down,” Williams said. “I don’t really have a top group right now. I’m just keeping in touch with coaches, taking it slowly, and just making the best decision for me. I want to try and make it at the beginning of my senior season, or maybe in the middle of the season, around there. I’d love to stay in Florida - wherever my heart desires to go is where I’ll end up, but I’ve lived in Florida my whole life, so this is where my heart is.”

Other factors that will end up standing out for Williams?

“Just how authentic schools are, how real they are and how the coaches treat you as a person,” Williams said. “Education is also big for me. So being real, being honest, and obviously education.”

Williams finished 2019 with 1,058 rushing yards (6.8 ypc), 109 receiving yards, and 14 total TD’s as a junior in the 7-3 Patriots’ triple option offense; he garnered second team all-conference for his efforts.

“I think I did good as a junior, my team did good as a whole, and that’s what I’m all about – winning,” Williams said. “Even though we didn’t crack a playoff spot by a couple percentage points, I did great, our other running back did great. We just came up a little bit short.”

Just like every aspiring college athlete, Williams is aiming to put in the work off the field over the offseason to improve his game and set himself up for a strong finish to his high school career.

“I’m looking to get bigger, faster, stronger - same as every year, but just rev it up a notch so I can be that guy this year,” Williams said. “I don’t think I have a set type of game, it’s really just going out and playing football. I’m just a guy that can go out and make plays, regardless of what team I’m going against.”

Advertisement
He kinda reminds me of that Good(s?)kid we recruited last cycle. Maybe not as fast but they have similar running styles.

Seems like a plan b type. Hes mehhh. Doesn't jump off the screen. We can do a lot better then this.
Hence why he’s a “plan B” kid

Jesus man you even said it yourself lol

Staff gets **** on for not keeping a big enough board to allow themselves flexibility if plan A tier 1 and 2 croots dump them.

QP needs to post less

Advertisement
Hence why he’s a “plan B” kid

Jesus man you even said it yourself lol

Staff gets **** on for not keeping a big enough board to allow themselves flexibility if plan A tier 1 and 2 croots dump them.

QP needs to post less
I was trying to be nice. Honestly dont think hes worthy of a plan b offer. He just looks real basic to me and we dont need basic kids.

Go look at this kid's film then go look at Amari Daniels film!! Big difference, these are the type of recruits Miami needs here to turn it around.. NOW later in the process, and we can't get Amari, I could say getting this kid would be a nice pick up, But in my eyes he shouldn't be a recruit we take early.. He's a back up plan..

Advertisement
Nice write up. He runs too upright, doesn’t come across as a power back at all in the highlights. I have to believe that 247 40 time is old for him because he seems much faster on film.

But overall I don’t see him in the same league as Chaney, Knighton and Franklin. Let’s see how his senior season goes before giving him a commitmable offer.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back