Ray Ray Says Mario's Building a Wall.

But it’s a key detail when claiming that he took a “step down”. He didn’t step into Blake James’ Miami.
For a fact, I agree with you. But im not sure how much the kids in THIS recruiting cycle are gonna be concerned with that, which is why we are still struggling a bit to keep kids home. However, moving forward as Coach Cristobal and Ray Ray Joseph (bringing this back on topic to the original post) have said, those factors you mentioned will play more of a part in us keeping kids in our areas home.

When Mario wins 10+ games this season AND has that support you mentioned, I bet the decision to stay home and "put on for the crib" becomes a lot easier for these "divas"

Advertisement
In the last 4 years, Brian Kelly has a record of 44-6, appearing in 2 College Football Playoffs.
Brian Kelly has had one <10 win season since this recruiting class year was in elementary school.
LSU won a Nation Championship in 2019 where we saw Jamarr Chase win the Biletnikoff award, then absolutely set the NFL ablaze.

Is it really hard to see why a kid would pick that combination? Lets compare to Miami.

The last 4 years, Miami has a record of 28-21.
Miami has had one 10 win season since 2003.
In the last 4 years, we have had 2 WR get drafted. KJ Osborn and Braxton Berrios. Major love to both of them, but neither are Jamarr Chase.

These kids arent basing commitment decisions on championships that were won before they were born. 2001 is old news. They want to go to Coaches/Programs that are winning now and that simply hasnt been us. Mario gonna change that tho.
We seriously only had 1 ten win season in TWENTY YEARS?! FML... WHAT. THE. ****.

Knew it was bad but my gawd, the school really didnt give a ****, thank gawd for Vilma and Herbstreit

Abandon the phrase, especially when the two five star wide outs and probably next best are leaving, the top running back is committed to tosu, the highest ranked DB and LB are headed out of state and your pipeline school is now IMG.

Mario is an elite recruiter. Maybe the best recruiting head coach in the nation, along with the other guy whose name we don’t mention.

But there is no “wall.”

At best, it’s a bamboo fence. But it’s not a wall.

Either way, kids like jalen brown are dead to me.

F*ck them.

Mario is an elite recruiter. Maybe the best recruiting head coach in the nation, along with the other guy whose name we don’t mention.

But there is no “wall.”

At best, it’s a bamboo fence. But it’s not a wall.

Either way, kids like jalen brown are dead to me.

F*ck them.
It’s why I’m big on national guys. No matter who we hire kids down here will always come up w an excuse. You got one kid who said he’s unsure how he’ll be used so he’s considering atm lol. We just hired the best assistant in the nation to coach the offense. He also coached wrs at bama but you trust a guy who hasn’t sent a wr to the league in the top 2 rounds since fat Benjamin? Lol

IMO, the only way they are going to truly convince future SF elite kids to stay home is if we first have success recruiting nationally.

It's the same thing with women. What's the best way to make a hot woman want you? Make her jealous. How do you do that? Divert some of your attention elsewhere. Getting recruits like Mauigoa, Okunlola, Wayne, Ricks, etc.. on board will be more effective to changing the "diva" mindset than recruiting SF kids with a sense of desperation.
This is the blueprint to make an offer from Miami the most valuable offer possible to a local kid. Show we don’t need them.

Oh, and winning. Recruit national names and create national names.

Advertisement
For a fact, I agree with you. But im not sure how much the kids in THIS recruiting cycle are gonna be concerned with that, which is why we are still struggling a bit to keep kids home. However, moving forward as Coach Cristobal and Ray Ray Joseph (bringing this back on topic to the original post) have said, those factors you mentioned will play more of a part in us keeping kids in our areas home.

When Mario wins 10+ games this season AND has that support you mentioned, I bet the decision to stay home and "put on for the crib" becomes a lot easier for these "divas"
We’ve missed on Innis and Brown so far. I wouldn’t really call that “struggling”. Ray Ray flipped after being committed to Clemson and not even recruited by Miami prior to this staff. Agree that winning will make it easier. Kids will finally be able to make the business decision to stay home again instead of going to one of these Sundown Towns for 3-4 years.

We’ve missed on Innis and Brown so far. I wouldn’t really call that “struggling”. Ray Ray flipped after being committed to Clemson and not even recruited by Miami prior to this staff. Agree that winning will make it easier. Kids will finally be able to make the business decision to stay home again instead of going to one of these Sundown Towns for 3-4 years.
Yup, youre absolutely right on all your points. I only called it struggling because thats how some other posters are acting.

No team locks down their local talent. No team did 50 years ago, and it's more impossible in this day and age. For goodness sake, in our dominant years from 1983-1991, we had lots of local studs leaving for other programs. We could win the next five NCs and have the World's best salesman as our coach, and you'd still have local players committing to programs 1000 miles away.

Goal should be to get roughly 40% of the top S. Florida guys, then hit the rest of the State and OOS for other needs.

It's not an either-or situation for local vs national recruits. You got to do both.

Advertisement
Honestly, who cares? Mario is going to recruit the best kids. Unfortunately, the fans build up some of these local kids to mythological proportions and when they leave to go elsewhere it's the same story - "coaches missed...." Brown is a great example. We've been hearing for weeks the staff's WR board looked different than the fanbase board.... There's no such thing as "locking down" anywhere now and the fan base is going to have to wean themselves off being so attached to every kid in south Florida...

Recruiting is one thing the fan base will never have to worry about with Mario and his staff....

Listen, im a Miami fan. ***** Brian Kelly. I strongly believe Cristobal is the better coach between the two, easily. Im just rationalizing why a kid like Jalen Brown would choose the Brian Kelly/LSU option over Cristobal/Miami. Sure the LSU championship coaching staff may not be there but kids see STARS and want to follow in their path all the time. You dont see every WR doing the griddy dance? We shouldnt act like hes some type of "diva" for it. We want kids to stay home when all we had to offer were 7-5 seasons. I believe Cristobal will put us in that position with time, but lets not act like we have always been desirable.

Cristobal was OVER qualified for the current Miami head coaching position and took a step backward by coming here. If we were not his alma mater theres no way he wouldve left to come here. Miami has sucked and kids have eyes... They saw us sucking too.

BTW, Mario's record the last 4 years was 35-12 with 0 Playoff appearances. Not exactly 44-6 with 2 Playoff appearances.

With all that said, im 100% behind Mario and i know for a fact he will change our program around. But part of that change will be keeping the elite south florida kids home. As he said "lets bring it in tight".
Because sometimes no matter how it seems to me, or you, the 18 year old and his family didn’t care what we thought lol. It’s not like Brian Kelly ( a grade A **** ) is a bad coach! He’s been to the playoff at ND he did well at Cincy, and even his Faults won’t let LSU from recruiting well.

Advertisement
Back