Ray Lewis tells his recruiting story

This is what I remember most about Ray Lewis as a freshman. I remember going out to Greentree in the fall to watch my Canes in preseason practice. (during Erickson's reign things were a lot more "loose" in regard to watching practice (and other things I guess). I always liked to focus on the incoming freshman and redshirt freshmen to see how the new guys looked.
There was a linebacker drill on the field farthest away from the Hecht. So went over to check it out (yes, things were much looser in practice then, I was always shocked at what a fan could do back then as far as access to the field goes). I wanted to see true freshman James Burgess, our big time linebacker recruit from Homestead. My buddy wanted a report on how he looked. Well, I came back and gave him my report. I told him Burgess looked ok, but the best freshman linebacker we had, was Ray Lewis, in fact, he was the best linebacker we had on the team! You could see it in practice during drills. He was constantly around the ball, quick as all get out. Extremely impressed from the get go.
I recall reading his quotes in preseason saying he was going to be the best LB in Hurricane history. This is just after the Bermuda Triangle graduated....I'm thinking, well, he does at least have Canes swagger.
Anyway, the rest is history.

Advertisement
This is what I remember most about Ray Lewis as a freshman. I remember going out to Greentree in the fall to watch my Canes in preseason practice. (during Erickson's reign things were a lot more "loose" in regard to watching practice (and other things I guess). I always liked to focus on the incoming freshman and redshirt freshmen to see how the new guys looked.
There was a linebacker drill on the field farthest away from the Hecht. So went over to check it out (yes, things were much looser in practice then, I was always shocked at what a fan could do back then as far as access to the field goes). I wanted to see true freshman James Burgess, our big time linebacker recruit from Homestead. My buddy wanted a report on how he looked. Well, I came back and gave him my report. I told him Burgess looked ok, but the best freshman linebacker we had, was Ray Lewis, in fact, he was the best linebacker we had on the team! You could see it in practice during drills. He was constantly around the ball, quick as all get out. Extremely impressed from the get go.
I recall reading his quotes in preseason saying he was going to be the best LB in Hurricane history. This is just after the Bermuda Triangle graduated....I'm thinking, well, he does at least have Canes swagger.
Anyway, the rest is history.

**** of a first post right there

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back