Raw Talent...

fraggle

Senile Senior
is a thing of the past. The high school football factories have changed everything PLUS those rough, tough, super athletes from Liberty City no longer have the hardships of the past where football was an escape from our inner city but at the college level. Talent shines even on the pre high school level and kids get recruited into elite programs that open many more doors for them. The days of a Jimmy Jones, Jones attended Okeechobee High School, but because he had to work to help support his mother, he didn't play football until his junior year when he only played in the last 4 games of the season and since he worked did not play at all his senior year Yet Jimmy Johnson found him. The Randy Shannon who lived in a rough drug culture and saw his father gunned down and the U saw his potential and raised him out of that environment. Who do we see on our current teams that are desperate to escape from the drugs and crime that permeated Miami?

Yes, Mario is recruiting starred talent that every program knows about and the hidden fruit either no longer exists or is not being sought. The "we must win to succeed" talent is not part of our current program. The 80's Canes would not accept defeat ala the 58-game home win streak. Is there hidden talent? Has the system taken away the desperation of the Liberty City athlete? Can anyone imagine a Jeremiah Smith of the 80's going to Ohio State? Does anyone know the perks he and his family have gotten at this early stage? His NIL value is outrageous.

I don't know if those old talents are there but I'd recognize it if I saw it again and it is no longer a part of our program. Now we have what I call highlight players, they want the film without the work and the rating stars that come with it and NIL money.

Advertisement
is a thing of the past. The high school football factories have changed everything PLUS those rough, tough, super athletes from Liberty City no longer have the hardships of the past where football was an escape from our inner city but at the college level. Talent shines even on the pre high school level and kids get recruited into elite programs that open many more doors for them. The days of a Jimmy Jones, Jones attended Okeechobee High School, but because he had to work to help support his mother, he didn't play football until his junior year when he only played in the last 4 games of the season and since he worked did not play at all his senior year Yet Jimmy Johnson found him. The Randy Shannon who lived in a rough drug culture and saw his father gunned down and the U saw his potential and raised him out of that environment. Who do we see on our current teams that are desperate to escape from the drugs and crime that permeated Miami?

Yes, Mario is recruiting starred talent that every program knows about and the hidden fruit either no longer exists or is not being sought. The "we must win to succeed" talent is not part of our current program. The 80's Canes would not accept defeat ala the 58-game home win streak. Is there hidden talent? Has the system taken away the desperation of the Liberty City athlete? Can anyone imagine a Jeremiah Smith of the 80's going to Ohio State? Does anyone know the perks he and his family have gotten at this early stage? His NIL value is outrageous.

I don't know if those old talents are there but I'd recognize it if I saw it again and it is no longer a part of our program. Now we have what I call highlight players, they want the film without the work and the rating stars that come with it and NIL money.
@fraggle You've had one too many pain meds for your knee.

You're question is not a good question. We do not live in that world anymore.

Technology has exposed so much more for both the good and the bad. The days of finding a "2-star Ed Reed" no longer exist. And the ones that do are like Hailey's Comet there's so few of them that they do not nullify my previous statement because the exception does not make the rule.

This is a weird and kind of semi racist get off my lawn take. I think the general point that the game is being scouted younger and more thoroughly is fair but there are still tons and tons of guys that come out of nowhere who become awesome and the draft bears that out every year. There’s guys who grow, guys who were new to the sport that explode, and some that were always very good and just slipped through the cracks somehow. Football is one of the more crapshoot sports for scouting, for all the time and money and expertise that goes into the talent mining process.

The real revolution hasn’t even happened. Football is still like a 99% US sport, but if and when it becomes more international, expanding the talent pool will open up the door for new gems worldwide. Look as basketball now. An American hasn’t won MVP in 5 years and the 5 best players in the league right now, Jokic Embiid Giannis Luka and Shai, aren’t American. I’m not saying football would be that imbalanced talent wise and it could be a little fluky now, but I think in general the wild come ups in talent will be more and more stories like Jordan Mailata being this insane rugby athlete from Australia.

@fraggle You've had one too many pain meds for your knee.

You're question is not a good question. We do not live in that world anymore.

Technology has exposed so much more for both the good and the bad. The days of finding a "2-star Ed Reed" no longer exist. And the ones that do are like Hailey's Comet there's so few of them that they do not nullify my previous statement because the exception does not make the rule.
I thought that was my point?

💯 all you have to do is listen to all the old Canes, they all echo exactly what you are saying. These kids don’t have the fight ( there are exceptions) in them, all about ME and Clicks. Unfortunately, this is today’s society.

Advertisement
I thought that was my point?
Was it? Because it didn't read like it was.

The days of 2 star Ed Reed are gone because everybody knows him and he's a 5-star now. Those kids you speak of would all be 5-stars and we would run into the same issue with them as today's kids because they would be raised in this social media crazed environment.

💯 all you have to do is listen to all the old Canes, they all echo exactly what you are saying. These kids don’t have the fight ( there are exceptions) in them, all about ME and Clicks. Unfortunately, this is today’s society.
That other world is dead.
Seniors ( myself included) still struggle with it. Seems illogical to us...

That other world is dead.
Seniors ( myself included) still struggle with it. Seems illogical to us...
Doesn’t seem to be effecting Georgia or Alabama all that much. Do they just have such good systems in place that they’re able to weed out the soft/disinterested better than anyone else? Genuinely asking

Need Georgia's mentality. All business tough culture. No ME ME ME

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back