Ratings Are Dumb

fxd5122

Just Win Baby!
At times I'm amazed how everyone is a so-called expert in recruiting. These kids are rated with a start system and rankings seem to matter to everyone. Ratings are complete BS. Nobody has an idea how someone will perform at this level after HS. Fans and alumni put to much emphasis on where we rank in recruiting instead of filling needs. Teams like the Patriots in the NFL draft for needs not talent. Year in and year out they are a top team because the fill needs. College coaches now have the pressure of not only educating these young me but also winning football games and now being in the top 25 of recruiting classes. Stop focused on this as a great recruiting class based on some JA's stars does not mean we are now back. It means in someone's opinion we are going to be better. Football is a team sport it takes a lot of players to make a team great. I hear Denzel say things like we need to stop free styling on the field which tells me its becoming a me world and players think just putting the U on their helmet makes the legendary. We need a bunch of football players like Alan Hurns and Brandon Linder who can play the game and want to work as a team to get it done. Thats what Miami football is all about not any one individual. At other schools they talk about great players at Miami they talk about great Teams.

One last thing and I'll jump down

Of the 2-Deep rosters of both the Patriots and SeaHawks.... There is not ONE 5 Star recruit.... Think about it.....

GO CANES

Advertisement
Overall, there's a pretty good correlation between high recruiting rankings and success on the field. UM is one of those teams that never lives up to its recruiting rank, but when you look at the top 10 in recruiting and the top 10 in the final polls there's usually a pretty good correlation.

At times I'm amazed how everyone is a so-called expert in recruiting. These kids are rated with a start system and rankings seem to matter to everyone. Ratings are complete BS. Nobody has an idea how someone will perform at this level after HS. Fans and alumni put to much emphasis on where we rank in recruiting instead of filling needs. Teams like the Patriots in the NFL draft for needs not talent. Year in and year out they are a top team because the fill needs. College coaches now have the pressure of not only educating these young me but also winning football games and now being in the top 25 of recruiting classes. Stop focused on this as a great recruiting class based on some JA's stars does not mean we are now back. It means in someone's opinion we are going to be better. Football is a team sport it takes a lot of players to make a team great. I hear Denzel say things like we need to stop free styling on the field which tells me its becoming a me world and players think just putting the U on their helmet makes the legendary. We need a bunch of football players like Alan Hurns and Brandon Linder who can play the game and want to work as a team to get it done. Thats what Miami football is all about not any one individual. At other schools they talk about great players at Miami they talk about great Teams.

Of the 2-Deep rosters of both the Patriots and SeaHawks.... There is not ONE 5 Star recruit.... Think about it.....

GO CANES

Don't care about the ******* Seahawks and Patriots. Count up all the 5 stars that FSU, Alabama, Ohio State and Oregon had. I'll wait.

You lost me at free styling... Anyway.. Stop blaming the kids. It is about 1 person bc if Urban Liar or Nick Satan would've coached us last year we would've been National Champions.

And this isn't the NFL this is college.. Yes where the top teams every year have the top recruiting classes every year.

No sure I 100% agree. Here is a small sample:

I think there are assumptions made because certain teams maintain great recruiting and rankings

Bama is an example like FSU but for everyone of those there is a UF, Texas, Michigan

Class Rank Final Poll 2014
1. Bama #4
2. FSU #5
3. Texas NR
4. USC #20
5. Georgia #9
6. LSU NR
7. Auburn #22
8. Clemson #25
9. Oregon #2
10. Notre Dame NR

Just think its overrated that's all

Advertisement

I think there are assumptions made because certain teams maintain great recruiting and rankings

Bama is an example like FSU but for everyone of those there is a UF, Texas, Michigan

1. Bama #4
2. FSU #5
3. Texas NR
4. USC #20
5. Georgia #9
6. LSU NR
7. Auburn #22
8. Clemson #25
9. Oregon #2
10. Notre Dame NR

The key is to average out the last three years and the results have been very telling. The only school that won a MNC in the last decade that didn't average in the top 10 was Auburn and they had a three year average of 12. Also look at your example right there, 3 of the 4 playoff schools finished in the top 10, you are making arguments against yourself…..

GO CANES

Don't care about the ******* Seahawks and Patriots. Count up all the 5 stars that FSU, Alabama, Ohio State and Oregon had. I'll wait.

FSU, Alabama, Ohio State and Oregon also have "5 star" coaching staffs. Of course there is a minimum threshold of talent that a team must have in order to compete for a national title i.e. Akron, no matter how great the coaching staff they could have, will never win a title because they will never have enough talented players.

But Miami is a school that will almost always have enough talent to compete for titles so it just comes down to coaching. Folden, even with his subpar recruiting, had a roster this past year that might have included up to 10 players that will be drafted and countless others that will make NFL teams I'm sure. By recruiting ranking averages Miami was more talented than every team it played but for FSU (and Miami had FSU on the ropes). Folden, even with his recruiting blunders, has recruited well enough to win big. A real coach would've won big.

Point being, Miami needs real gameday/Xs and Os coaches and not worry so much about recruiting because even a rube like Folden can recruit enough talent to win 10 plus games a year. And with a good coach comes more wins which would make recruiting that much easier anyway.

Ohio State

2011 - 2
2012 - 2
2013 - 1
2014 - 1

Boy OSU is really racking up the 5 Star Players

There is a direct correlation between recruiting rankings and performance in college. This isn't debatable. You have exceptions, but thats what they are exceptions not the norm. Trying to justify your argument with the super bowl rosters is also way off. These star rankings are for college lvl performance, not for NFL performance. Recruiting is a numbers game where you play the percentages. And the numbers say the higher ranked players are gonna get you more wins than the lower ranked players.

Advertisement
Ohio State

2011 - 2
2012 - 2
2013 - 1
2014 - 1

Boy OSU is really racking up the 5 Star Players

Ohio State class ranking

2011-7
2012-5
2013-2
2014-3

Good attempt to try to change the numbers to make your arguement. OSU won with elite recruiting and recruits that were highly ranked. 5 star players represent less than 1% of each recruiting class. Getting 1-2 of them a year is pretty **** good.

GO CANES

Don't care about the ****ing Seahawks and Patriots. Count up all the 5 stars that FSU, Alabama, Ohio State and Oregon had. I'll wait.

LoL..the numbers do correlate..but once in a while there is an anomoly. But i agree with the OP in a sense... for example Keion Joyner is a 5 star OLB and a few weeks our very own Zach McCloud wasn't ranked...after looking at their film I would rather have 1 Zach versus 2 Keions I think a Florida 2 star is equal to a National 4 star... i could be bias...

Ten years ago the star ratings were a joke. Today they are more accurate representation of the kids in the marketplace than ever before. Entities like Nike, Under Armour, Fox Sports, Yahoo Sports and others have dumped tens of millions of dollars into the "meat market" industry of evaluating HS athletes. The days of finding a 1 star Ed Reed are coming to a close.

Advertisement
right now I want to win on Saturdays not sundays...if they want to play on sunday they need to work hard to make that happen..

the last I checked the national championships are won with those that have top recruiting classes...talent and coaching is a part of a winning tradition

GO CANES

1. Bama #4
2. FSU #5
3. Texas NR
4. USC #20
5. Georgia #9
6. LSU NR
7. Auburn #22
8. Clemson #25
9. Oregon #2
10. Notre Dame NR

you just proved our point in your post and refuted your original point..FSU and Bama are at the top of Football now...

Advertisement
Only fans of teams who can't close think ratings don't matter. Sure on the field talent can be offset by great coaching. But off the field is another story. The top 25 is a subjective list. Teams that win on Saturdays and rank high in recruiting are perceived to be better, get higher rankings And the benefit of the doubt when they lose. See bama, osu, tcu and baylor this year.

i don't pay attention to ratings as much as i used too. the way i look at it is now is i look at their tape and decide if they'll have an impact on this team or not. this 2015 class has a few i don't think will make an impact.

GO CANES

So much fail in this, where to begin

There have been plenty of studies that show that teams that are built with more 5* and 4* perform better than teams with more 3*. of course its never going to be perfect and people get under ranked due to playing in smaller towns, growth spurts, outside factors etc. but to say "stars don't matter" is dumb

Who cares about 'filling needs' if the players we are taking aren't any good. This might be one of the dumbest things i have ever heard. so if we sign 5 LB's and 5 DT's that all suck we should be happy with the class b/c we are filling needs??? We need TALENT not bodies.

Also not that NFL performance means anything for college football and building NFL teams is totally different than college, but the Patriots absolutely do NOT draft for need but on a best player available. The patriots take TALENT and make it work. They also have adjusted from 3-4 to 4-3 from a run dominant offense, to wide open passing as their roster dictates. A top notch WR has been a need for the Patriots almost every year of Brady's reign, how many 1st round WR have they taken?

Advertisement
Back