Rather early to know but... (something about whether UM will still have a Striker)

It’s because a lot of our fans didn’t play Football & don’t really understand the game...

So even if you explain it to them over & over again, they still don’t get it lol.
Bro, @PIPO is my witness. Fraggle did what he always does. He poRsted a thread and immediately logged off for his nap.

92881518-FF70-4F02-AEDA-367A5F554B13.jpeg
D17FB1B0-24D1-4C2E-B265-87E80E8515CB.jpeg

Where are all the sad sap defenders of “Uncle Fraggs” at?

Advertisement
Bro, @PIPO is my witness. Fraggle did what he always does. He poRsted a thread and immediately logged off for his nap.

View attachment 172398View attachment 172399
Where are all the sad sap defenders of “Uncle Fraggs” at?
I know he was trolling, that’s why I answered him seriously & entertained his obvious troll questions.

The easiest way to troll a troll is with anti-troll sincerity.

I don’t know what’s happening to my brain lol

are we done with the Striker position? Was it originated by Manny? What other teams use it? It is not listed as a position on any American Football Positions lists! Are we better with or without it?
Mods not doing their jobs if this clown is still here

200.gif

Advertisement
To be honest with you, the term "striker" is just a cool name created by a specific coach to make the player (typically a safety who doesn't want to play linebacker) feel more comfortable about playing linebacker. I've heard it called "the joker," the "mamba" etc. As for the 4-2-5 scheme, I like it and with our personnel, it fits the team and South Florida recruits.

Funny thread. Good job Fraggle. LOL! Anyways LCE did a great job as always breaking down the striker position and other defensive looks. For the Striker position to work, a team has to have the perfect fit. There is no "I think this guy will be a good striker because he is 6"1 and 210 lbs." Striker must be able to cover one on one, stop the run, blitz on occasion and tackle in space or he just is not a striker. There are not that many dudes out there that can play striker effectively. Bama got them, Georgia got them, we do not. Obviously we have not over the last few years. That means that we were running undersized slow LB's out there that couldn't cover or tackle. That is one of the many reasons our D sucked last year. If you got the dudes Striker is great. We just ain't got the dudes.

Advertisement
Take it easy on Fraggle. When he grew up the basic defense was 5-3-3 and the 3 defensive backs have were within 7 yards of the one of scrimmage. The forward pass was rare if at all.

1. Most likely yes; depends on the next DC, if the next DC is a 3-4 guy then probably yes, but you can still use one ina. 3-4 scheme as well.

2. No Manny didn’t originate it, Striker is a HYBRID position, which means, you can put a Safety or LB or (in some cases) a CB at that spot.

A Striker is a just an extra defender that you can leave on the field when you’re in Nickel coverage, as opposed to having to sub in a S in spot of LB or sub in a LB in spot of S, you can have a guy on the field who can do both things.

In the 4-2-5 Defense the Striker replaces the Sam Backer in the 4-3, so instead of having 3 traditional style LB’s (Will, Mike & Sam), you have a Mike, a Will & a HYBRID, although you can replace the Weak side backer with a Hyrbid too if you want.

3. Yes, Lots of other teams use it; UF has the same position as well even though they run a 3-4 base Defense, they have the Star position which is just a Nickel Safety that plays down in the box vs Run, but can also drop back in coverage & cover TE's, WR's RB's out of the backfield etc, in Zone & Man looks.

Bama & UGA both have the Star position as well, in their personnel groupings they tend to take a converted CB/S & make them the STAR, that was the position that Tyrique Stevenson was playing before he transferred to Miami.

Oh St has a similar position as well being that they play 3 CB's & 1 Safety instead of the traditional 2 Safeties in their 4-3 scheme.

San Diego St has had one of the best Defenses in the nation over the last few years, they run the 3-3-5 & have the "War" position.

Oklahoma & TCU ran the 4-2-5 like we did, Oklahoma used more 3 down lineman sets than us but it was basically the same defense. Under Venables I think they’ll run a more traditional 4-3 front, but they’ll still have a Hybrid Nickel style Safety in the secondary, although Venables usually tended to rely on his LB’s to cover quite a bit.

Lots of teams use it & have a player on their defense that has versatility in their assignments which allows them to stay on the field vs no huddle offenses & can cover multiple spots.

4. Only time will tell; but in theory we could still use a Hybrid in whichever new Defense we run this season.
****! **** of a breakdown @Liberty City El
Thanks!

1. Most likely yes; depends on the next DC, if the next DC is a 3-4 guy then probably yes, but you can still use one ina. 3-4 scheme as well.

2. No Manny didn’t originate it, Striker is a HYBRID position, which means, you can put a Safety or LB or (in some cases) a CB at that spot.

A Striker is a just an extra defender that you can leave on the field when you’re in Nickel coverage, as opposed to having to sub in a S in spot of LB or sub in a LB in spot of S, you can have a guy on the field who can do both things.

In the 4-2-5 Defense the Striker replaces the Sam Backer in the 4-3, so instead of having 3 traditional style LB’s (Will, Mike & Sam), you have a Mike, a Will & a HYBRID, although you can replace the Weak side backer with a Hyrbid too if you want.

3. Yes, Lots of other teams use it; UF has the same position as well even though they run a 3-4 base Defense, they have the Star position which is just a Nickel Safety that plays down in the box vs Run, but can also drop back in coverage & cover TE's, WR's RB's out of the backfield etc, in Zone & Man looks.

Bama & UGA both have the Star position as well, in their personnel groupings they tend to take a converted CB/S & make them the STAR, that was the position that Tyrique Stevenson was playing before he transferred to Miami.

Oh St has a similar position as well being that they play 3 CB's & 1 Safety instead of the traditional 2 Safeties in their 4-3 scheme.

San Diego St has had one of the best Defenses in the nation over the last few years, they run the 3-3-5 & have the "War" position.

Oklahoma & TCU ran the 4-2-5 like we did, Oklahoma used more 3 down lineman sets than us but it was basically the same defense. Under Venables I think they’ll run a more traditional 4-3 front, but they’ll still have a Hybrid Nickel style Safety in the secondary, although Venables usually tended to rely on his LB’s to cover quite a bit.

Lots of teams use it & have a player on their defense that has versatility in their assignments which allows them to stay on the field vs no huddle offenses & can cover multiple spots.

4. Only time will tell; but in theory we could still use a Hybrid in whichever new Defense we run this season.
This is why you are the best poster on this site sir. Your football knowledge is unmatched round these parts.

Advertisement
are we done with the Striker position? Was it originated by Manny? What other teams use it? It is not listed as a position on any American Football Positions lists! Are we better with or without it?
I just hated the name of it cause Manny is such a dweeb *** dude. Such a clown....he should of named his defensive scheme defenseless.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back