Rashada is suing Napier and a Florida booster.

Sooo……… does the ncaa only exist when they want to investigate Miami?

UF is getting nothing while we got a colonoscopy and probation for a dinner at someone’s house?

Da fugg??
For the sake of NIL, people can debate this, it's both good and bad that the NCAA can't/won't investigate.

A) does it show that the NCAA has no power over it and we can handle NIL fairly freely without issue.

B) sneaky **** can happen and the NCAA has no power monitoring it.

Whether you prefer A or B...

Advertisement
For the sake of NIL, people can debate this, it's both good and bad that the NCAA can't/won't investigate.

A) does it show that the NCAA has no power over it and we can handle NIL fairly freely without issue.

B) sneaky **** can happen and the NCAA has no power monitoring it.

Whether you prefer A or B...
That’s exactly my point. They choose the school they want to yield whatever power they have left.
And out of all the sht that’s been public about multiple programs, especially the Rashada scandal, we are the only program in this state that’s been on probation.

13 million dollar fraud.
Vs
Dinner at someone’s house

As the kids say now a days, Bruh FR?!!

That’s exactly my point. They choose the school they want to yield whatever power they have left.
And out of all the sht that’s been public about multiple programs, especially the Rashada scandal, we are the only program in this state that’s been on probation.

13 million dollar fraud.
Vs
Dinner at someone’s house

As the kids say now a days, Bruh FR?!!
I mean, if there was no NIL violation present, there's nothing they can do.

The NCAA already went over our stuff. We're fine.

Advertisement
There is a lot of solid legal analysis here but I don't believe this will boil down to legal issues.

Whether the Gators will be on the hook for the damages based on the legal case is secondary.

The question is whether they can afford to let the case play out with discovery and bad press through at least one more recruiting and transfer season.

I don't think this case will make it very far. I would bet that we see a settlement for a low seven figures and a non-disclosure agreement very soon.

They can't afford the PR. It would be better to pay out and make it go away.

Maybe.

But I would argue:

1. There was an existing contract for $9.5 million.
2. Rashada was presented with a different contract for $13.85 million which was repudiated one day later, but after Rashada already notified parties of the breach of the first contract.
3. Not only was there a loss of the $13.85 million contract, but also the $9.5 million contract, plus there were no NIL contracts at the next 2 schools.

I would emphasize the shortness of time between the UF agreement and repudiation, plus the quickness with which the "sale" of Velocity Automotive was cited as the reason for breach. The breach was in November 2022 and the sale of Velocity closed in January 2023. There is no way in **** that Hathnocock suddenly realized IN ONE DAY that he was going to sell his company.

Furthermore, I would argue that the repeated assurances that Hathcock would pay the amount PERSONALLY (and then the failure to do so) represents a false reason for breaching the original deal.
Does the alleged $9.5MM with via Life Wallet have the potential to drag Ruiz + Miami through the mud?

Advertisement
Does the alleged $9.5MM with via Life Wallet have the potential to drag Ruiz + Miami through the mud?
I wouldn't say "through the mud," but yeah, if this lawsuit gets to the discovery stage, both sides will hone in on the supposed $9.5 M offer. Rashada will have to prove the offer was concrete and real and Napier and the other defendants will have to show the money was speculative. Both sides can certainly conduct a deposition of Ruiz and ask questions and snippets of any deposition can make its way into the public domain.

I wouldn't say "through the mud," but yeah, if this lawsuit gets to the discovery stage, both sides will hone in on the supposed $9.5 M offer. Rashada will have to prove the offer was concrete and real and Napier and the other defendants will have to show the money was speculative. Both sides can certainly conduct a deposition of Ruiz and ask questions and snippets of any deposition can make its way into the public domain.
Would Ruiz have an angle to provide testimony/evidence to further damage the Gators?

I mean, how deliciouso would that be...

Would Ruiz have an angle to provide testimony/evidence to further damage the Gators?

I mean, how deliciouso would that be...
Not really, other than to say that if Rashada had committed here, we would have met our obligations in contrast to what happened at UF, but that's already somewhat undisputed at this stage apparently.

Advertisement
Sling Blade Billy and Co. should have opened an LLC.

...and Florida is known for their business school? What a flunk.

I hate the Gators as much as the next guy, but we should actually be aligned with UF here. Let me explain. This is potentially a bad precedent and might even hurt UM more than other places, considering how ahead of the game we are on NIL (or reliant on it).

Consider this. Let's assume a coach, in selling his school over a rival, tells a recruit, "come here because we have a great NIL package awaiting you, and lots of donors and businessmen that will want you to promote/market their product." The player is a middling player and later sues, claiming that he was misled and no donors or businessmen stepped up and that had he gone elsewhere, he would have done better. Its really dangerous to make selling points (the legal term is puffery) actionable claims that players can bring.

Or, a more concrete example. Which apparently is pretty close to what happened at UF.

Let's assume we're fighting for a recruit with OSU. OSU has offered $500,000. Cristobal receives a commitment from local businessman or UM collectivel it'll up the ante and do $600,000. Cristobal merely conveys that if player commits, player will do $100K better here than elsewhere. No lie is told. But Cristobal isn't offering actual "UMiami" funds, nor has Cristobal verified source of funding and how legitimate it is. Player commits. NIL source bails. Now what? Can player sue MC because MC was told and accurately relayed that UM collective would do $100K better. That's risky.

Kids should not be misled but allowing something like this also opens up a huge can of worms and possibilities for a lot of "he-said-he-said" and varying accounts between player and coach about what was actually said.

I do not believe so.

Based on Mr. Ruiz's artful denials, I believe that LifeWallet was going to fund about one-third of that amount, with the UM Collective picking up the rest.

Since it "never happened", I don't think Mr. Ruiz or LifeWallet or UM have anything to worry about.

Unless the wrong person made a wrong phone call or drove someone to the wrong dinner...

Advertisement
Am I missing something? I thought, during this time period, it was state law that the university or any of their representatives not be involved with the NIL process, negotiations, or discussions pertaining to money exchange.

Doesn't the complaint list 2 UF employees? Billy and Castro-Watkins or whoever his name is? If they violated the state law at that point wouldn't the NCAA have all the ability to go in and investigate?

Am I missing something? I thought, during this time period, it was state law that the university or any of their representatives not be involved with the NIL process, negotiations, or discussions pertaining to money exchange.

Doesn't the complaint list 2 UF employees? Billy and Castro-Watkins or whoever his name is? If they violated the state law at that point wouldn't the NCAA have all the ability to go in and investigate?
Exactly what I have been thinking. Would love an explanation from people in the know.

Advertisement
Back