Rant...

Canesfan12

Redshirt Freshman
I just made it home from the game tonight and thought I'd share my thoughts...

For starters, going into the game the atmosphere was very somber, probably due to the rain ruining most of the tailgate and the hangover from the FSU game, and it looked like the offense played that way. Lewis should no longer be a kick returner, put mullins or someone else out there. The play-calling was once again pretty bland.. but TBH even with the vanilla play-calling we shouldve scored more, just like in the FSU game, too many either missed reads by Kayaa, bad play-calling for a certain situations, dropped balls, and badly thrown balls. The Manny Diaz hire is a GOD D*MN A++ HIRE!! Our defense has played winning football in every game, sure there were blown plays and sometimes you were left thinking WTF?! but i chalk that up more to a player issue and not the coaching/play-call issue. One thing i REALLY don't like seeing from this defense is the way our CB's sometimes play.. as in they dont press for 5 yards and force a tough throw/catch on short yardage route, and in turn let teams continuously gain yards from short yardage. I dont know if thats how they are taught, if they know they cant handle the WR's speed, or if that was how the play was designed, but its annoying to watch. Corn Elder has been playing like a 1st rounder this year, no if's, and's, or but's about it. For those of the fans that "boo" at games, even if you think it doesnt or arent in that frame of mind, a big-time recruit on his 1st visit, or if he is 50/50 with someone else, could interpret the "boos" as either a passionate fanbase that you want to win for, or a fanbase that can turn on you in blink of an eye, so tread carefully. Finally, I belive we need "winners" in these next few classes. Now my definition may be different from yours but i want a QB that extends bad plays to make something out of nothing, i.e Kayaa on the scoring drive, WR's that pride themselves in catching anything and making DB's look stupid, OL who will put their life on the line for their QB and of course you need technique and skill, DL who play hard/tough (pretty much what we have now), CB's that makes the WR take 3+ seconds to get outside of 5yds due to press, S who are ballhawks and have great vision of how the play will boil down and where to help, and LB's who play fast, tough as a m'fer, & is good in pass coverage. The biggest thing is that most, if not all of those positions need a player who will put his heart into every play of every game no matter the outcome.

End Rant... Criticize away!

Advertisement
Sensible post. We are not as good as he two teams we lost too. We should be encouraged that our defense is close to being very good. Not elite but very good. You are correct. We need an infusion of talent and I don't mean the Odogwus/Gall's of the world. We need to start winning the recruiting wars for the kids we have been losing to the OSU's and Bama's of the world.

Sensible post. We are not as good as he two teams we lost too. We should be encouraged that our defense is close to being very good. Not elite but very good. You are correct. We need an infusion of talent and I don't mean the Odogwus/Gall's of the world. We need to start winning the recruiting wars for the kids we have been losing to the OSU's and Bama's of the world.

We are much better than both teams we lost to. Scoring with this offense should be a joke every play should include include just Coley, Richard's, njoku, and Herndon. So much star power right there but half the time we don't look for them. Look what happened when they ran plays for njoku.

Advertisement
Back