Rankings/ Standings

Jaromir Jagr

Senior
Banned
The Live RPI currently sits at #58, down from #27 since last week.

We are tied for 12th place in the ACC standings, which means we are fighting Boston College for the last spot in the ACC Tournament. Pittsburgh could enter into that conversation next weekend.

But, Go Canes!

Advertisement
I tend to lurk and not post on the baseball board. But Jesus Christ, Jagr, you are one annoying poster.

We're not even out of March yet. There are 4 ACC teams currently in the top 25. We've played series against 2 of them, as well as a 3rd top-25 team in UF--within the first month and a half of competition. I'm not aware of any other ACC team who has been through such a gauntlet this early in the season.

Any chance you can hold off on your whining and b__ch-casting for a few weeks, until we get into the meat of the schedule?

I tend to lurk and not post on the baseball board. But Jesus Christ, Jagr, you are one annoying poster.

We're not even out of March yet. There are 4 ACC teams currently in the top 25. We've played series against 2 of them, as well as a 3rd top-25 team in UF--within the first month and a half of competition. I'm not aware of any other ACC team who has been through such a gauntlet this early in the season.

Any chance you can hold off on your whining and b__ch-casting for a few weeks, until we get into the meat of the schedule?

Those who fail to learn from history......

Posts like that were made at this same time during the last two seasons. “It’s early”. “We’ll be fine”. Well, we weren’t fine. And this team isn’t much better.

See, we used to be the gauntlet that other teams had to get through. Now, though, you’re perfectly fine going 2-7 against those teams because it’s a tough schedule. You might have been able to sell that after 2016. But this is year three of this garbage.

Making excuses for this program says more about the poster than anything else.

We haven't played a strong schedule. Per Boyd's World SOS, 94th nationally. You may not be aware of them, but there are 4 ACC teams who have been through tougher "gauntlets".

It didn't seem like Jagr was whining. Every statement he made was a statement of fact. We're more than 40% of the way through the season, so I don't think it's too early to be talking about this stuff.

Ok I stand corrected. His next post was over-the-top whining.

Advertisement

Posts like that were made at this same time during the last two seasons. “It’s early”. “We’ll be fine”. Well, we weren’t fine. And this team isn’t much better.

See, we used to be the gauntlet that other teams had to get through. Now, though, you’re perfectly fine going 2-7 against those teams because it’s a tough schedule. You might have been able to sell that after 2016. But this is year three of this garbage.

Just stop.

I never once said I was “happy” or “perfectly fine” with the state of our program at present.

But I also don’t think it’s worthwhile or accurate to bemoan our current standing in the ACC when 2 of the 3 league foes we’ve faced have been top-20 teams and no other ACC team has faced that level of conference competition.

We play series against 7 more ACC teams, only 2 of whic are ranked.

By season’s end, we won’t be in the cellar, so give it a ******* rest, man.

Just stop.

I never once said I was “happy” or “perfectly fine” with the state of our program at present.

But I also don’t think it’s worthwhile or accurate to bemoan our current standing in the ACC when 2 of the 3 league foes we’ve faced have been top-20 teams and no other ACC team has faced that level of conference competition.

We’re not in the cellar now, so I’m not sure what kind of achievement you’re taking about.

But we’re fine. It’s early.

Hopefully DiMare has a VERY LONG stay at the U. The man is the definition of elite. Joe Torre wishes he could be half as good as DiMare.

Advertisement
Just stop.

You ever seen a movie that you've seen multiple times with someone who's never seen it, and then they say something stupid in the middle like "who is this friggin Kaiser Soze guy?", but you know the whole time it's a limping Kevin Spacey and they have zero clue? Or they're like, "hey, maybe this Thanos guy can be stopped by the Avengers - I mean, they ARE the heroes"...but you know the snap is coming.

That's what it's like for some of us who have a darn good idea where things are headed with this season given the early returns. We've seen this movie for a few years in a row now. Some folks are just now showing up like it's opening weekend at the box office, full of hope.

Note that those of us who have seen this before would also like to see a different ending to the movie, one where the Canes make the postseason and even make a Cinderella run at Omaha somehow...but that's probably not how the plot of this season is going to go based on how it's began if we're being real with ourselves.

The FAU win last night was great. Big offensive explosion. Final score looked great. Even the Avengers had Thor show up and was whoopin some ***, and we were all happy and believed for a moment...but the snap still happened.

"We play series against 7 more ACC teams, only 2 of which are ranked"

So even if we win, some of those games, what does that do for our Strength of Schedule? Certainly not beating unranked teams. To get into the end of season playoffs, SoS is one thing the Committee looks at. If the back half of the season goes like the 1st half, we may not host or even get to play in the Regionals. Beating up on some unranked team in Mid Week games won't do it either. So there is more than enough evidence so far, to be worried about where this team is headed.

Our RPI is back up to 39th this afternoon. At the moment our SOS is currently in a good place at 21st (I’m using Warren Nolan - D1Baseball has it 29th).

Of our remaining 30 games:
-13 are against Top 100 opponents (FAU is 102nd so that may get to 14)
-Of those just 7 (Louisville, VT, and UCF) are in the Top 50. FSU is 59th and could easily get there adding three although the opposite could be said of VT at 42
-Only the 3 games against Louisville are currently RPI top 25 games
-6 Games are against 200+ opponents (Bethune and Pitt). That and conference record are among the reasons we really need a sweep this weekend.
-FIU and FGCU (4 games total) are in the 190s so they won’t help much either

12 of our first 25 were against the top 50 (9 against the top 25). That GT series win looks really good now with their RPI at 24.

Bottomline: The schedule appears lighter in the back half, although road series against UVA and WF will likely be more difficult than their current 100+ RPIs would suggest. At the same time, our schedule isn’t going to give us many opportunities to make large upward moves. We aren’t hosting this year baring a 2014-esque run in the second half. I still think 15-15 in the ACC should be enough to get us into the tournament, but I can see where it might require 16.

Until we hire a new coach, this team is doomed to be mid-league within the ACC and even if we get into post season play, well will be beaten by the good teams......................Hard to believe that the AD made this hire..........even with Dad's money considered.

Advertisement
Our RPI is back up to 39th this afternoon. At the moment our SOS is currently in a good place at 21st (I’m using Warren Nolan - D1Baseball has it 29th).

Of our remaining 30 games:
-13 are against Top 100 opponents (FAU is 102nd so that may get to 14)
-Of those just 7 (Louisville, VT, and UCF) are in the Top 50. FSU is 59th and could easily get there adding three although the opposite could be said of VT at 42
-Only the 3 games against Louisville are currently RPI top 25 games
-6 Games are against 200+ opponents (Bethune and Pitt). That and conference record are among the reasons we really need a sweep this weekend.
-FIU and FGCU (4 games total) are in the 190s so they won’t help much either

12 of our first 25 were against the top 50 (9 against the top 25). That GT series win looks really good now with their RPI at 24.

Bottomline: The schedule appears lighter in the back half, although road series against UVA and WF will likely be more difficult than their current 100+ RPIs would suggest. At the same time, our schedule isn’t going to give us many opportunities to make large upward moves. We aren’t hosting this year baring a 2014-esque run in the second half. I still think 15-15 in the ACC should be enough to get us into the tournament, but I can see where it might require 16.

Great rundown of our remaining schedule. Unless this team completes a 100% turn around, I don't look forward to us sweeping any series. We have not been able to consistently put together 3 games where we have good pitching and good hitting, plus not making mental and physical errors. We are beating ourselves in a lot of our losses. Everything is correctable, but can it be corrected in time?

Live RPI jumps to #40. Tied for 9th in the conference.

Florida State is in real trouble as far as making the tournament. They have an RPI of #91, and like us, they do not have any easy series on their schedule.

Live RPI jumps to #40. Tied for 9th in the conference.

Florida State is in real trouble as far as making the tournament. They have an RPI of #91, and like us, they do not have any easy series on their schedule.
We have several easy series left, does not mean we win, but we have a weaker schedule to end than the first half. We have games vs RPI's of 175, 181, 255, 101, 87 and 90.

Advertisement
RPI is going to sit at around #36 once Warren Nolan finds out that it was a loss and not a tie.

In the ACC, we're tied in the 7 through 10 spots, all of us sitting at 7-8.

RPI is at 32 and SOS is at 30. We're sitting at a 3 see if the season ended today, and if we win more series could work our way up to a 2 seed. I'm not saying we're a great club. D1 Baseball has us "Last 5 in" as of April 4th, before last weekend's series.

RPI is at 32 and SOS is at 30. We're sitting at a 3 see if the season ended today, and if we win more series could work our way up to a 2 seed. I'm not saying we're a great club. D1 Baseball has us "Last 5 in" as of April 4th, before last weekend's series.

Conference standing is going to be the make or break statistic.

Advertisement
Back