Rank these seasons

Notsince1985

Retired staff
Premium
I'm not going back to the late 50s and early 60s, but since the program came back in '85, which team was the best, and how would you rank the teams?

1998: 18-10, 11-7, 2nd in Big East 7, #11 seed in NCAA Tournament, lost to UCLA in 1st round
1999: 23-7, 15-3, 2nd in the Big East, #2 seed in NCAA Tournament, lost to Purdue in 2nd round.
2000: 23-11, 13-3, Big East Regular season champions, #6 seed in NCAA Tournament, lost to Tulsa in Sweet 16
2002: 24-8, 10-6, 2nd in the Big East (East Division), #5 seed in NCAA Tournament, lost to Missouri in 1st round
2008: 23-11, 8-8, 5th in the ACC, #7 seed in NCAA Tournament, lost to Texas in 2nd round
2013: 29-7, 15-3, 1st in the ACC, ACC Tournament Champions, #2 seed in NCAA Tournament, lost to Marquette in Sweet 16
2016: 27-8, 13-5, 2nd in ACC, #3 seed in NCAA Tournament, lost to Villanova in Sweet 16
2017: 21-12, 10-8, 8th in ACC, #8 seed in NCAA Tournament, lost to Michigan State in 1st round
2018: 22-10, 11-7. 3rd in ACC, #6 seed in NCAA Tournament, lost to Loyola-Chicago in 1st round
2022: 26-11, 14-6, 4th in ACC, #10 seed in NCAA Tournament, lost to Kansas in Elite 8

Advertisement
2013 was incredible, but the injustice of not getting a #1 seed despite the resume and then losing in the Sweet 16 was anticlimactic.

2017 team was also great. That team could’ve made a run but we ran into a BUZZSAW in Nova, who ended up being champs.

For me it has to be last year. 4th in ACC despite what we were predicted, the not great start to the year, and the lack of depth. Beat Duke and Carolina (seems like tradition now.) Very fun and feisty team that makes it to the Elite 8 and had the lead at half. What could’ve been. (Those refs were awful and Kansas played lights out…was insane to watch)

Edit: Just saw the question asked about the best team, not the best season. Was a little kid in the 90s so I’ll go with 2013.

2013 was incredible, but the injustice of not getting a #1 seed despite the resume and then losing in the Sweet 16 was anticlimactic.

2017 team was also great. That team could’ve made a run but we ran into a BUZZSAW in Nova, who ended up being champs.

For me it has to be last year. 4th in ACC despite what we were predicted, the not great start to the year, and the lack of depth. Beat Duke and Carolina (seems like tradition now.) Very fun and feisty team that makes it to the Elite 8 and had the lead at half. What could’ve been. (Those refs were awful and Kansas played lights out…was insane to watch)

Edit: Just saw the question asked about the best team, not the best season. Was a little kid in the 90s so I’ll go with 2013.

I only started to really watch college hoops and the Canes men's basketball team after Larranaga became coach in 2011. The 2013 team led by Shane Larkin was my favorite over the past 12-13 years. Last season we punched above our weight class. This season, we're loaded. I have no idea how we'll end because we're still way too streaky. But I honestly think this team, when it's in a groove, can beat anyone.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The 99 team was really good with Tim James, Johnny Hemsley, Mario Bland, Vernon Jennings, Elton Tyler, etc.
The '02 team had one of the better starting lineups, with James Jones, John Salmons, Marcus Barnes, Darius Rice and Elton Tyler. They had no bench and Perry Clark was horrible
The '18 team was stacked but ran into Cinderella in Loyola and Bruce Brown was hurt. But, Lonnie, Bruce, Huell, Lykes, Amp, etc. was really solid.

I'm 24 so this would be my ranking of the teams that I remember (2008 on):

1. 2013
2. 2022
3. 2018 (that team would've made a big run if it wasn't for throwing the game away against Loyola. Lonnie and Bruce is still the most talented duo we've had)
4. 2016
5. 2008
6. 2017

The 99 team was really good with Tim James, Johnny Hemsley, Mario Bland, Vernon Jennings, Elton Tyler, etc.
The '02 team had one of the better starting lineups, with James Jones, John Salmons, Marcus Barnes, Darius Rice and Elton Tyler. They had no bench and Perry Clark was horrible
The '18 team was stacked but ran into Cinderella in Loyola and Bruce Brown was hurt. But, Lonnie, Bruce, Huell, Lykes, Amp, etc. was really solid.
That 99 tourney game was just brutal. If anyone recalls I think we shot like 15% in the first half. Just out of nowhere we looked terrible. Fouls galore. I don't know if we even made a 3 in that game. That one hurt, that team was much better than people realized. We beat #1 or #2 UCONN late in the season on their floor. That is what led to our high seed. UCONN won it all that year. We have one horrible half. We could have won it all that year.

To further add for perspective, UCONN went 34-2. We lost to them in OT at home and beat them at UCONN. There is no debate here.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Went back to look up the schedule and results of the 2013 team since I think that was the best Canes team ever and I couldn’t remember a couple of the losses. Wikipedia says they lost an exhibition game to St Leo by 2 at home. Did that really happen?

43C555ED-780C-4591-82C0-0D6FCC6EE9EA.png

Another nugget about 99, we won 4 games against final four teams. Went 4-2. We beat everybody in the FF but Duke and we didn't play them.

Well my memory failed me on that one. St Johns lost to OSU in regionals. I thought they had made the FF and we beat them twice.

Last edited:
I'm a little psyched based on our current win streak, so I'm going to type way more than I should. I started following the team in 94-95, so I remember all these seasons well. I'm not going to give my answer to the OP's question, but instead I'm going to focus on our actual NCAA tournament play in each of those seasons, in chronological order:

1998- We were probably one of the last teams to get in. We got upset in the first round of the Big East Tournament by a mediocre Georgetown team, and I think most of us thought we were NIT bound. We drew UCLA, and while we were down most of the game, we got hot in the last five minutes and either took the lead or had a chance to win at the end (I can't remember which). We fell in a close one, but it was a valiant effort.
1999-Lafayette didn't know what hit it in the 2-15 matchup. I still to this day don't know what happened to us in the 2nd round vs. Purdue. Probably the worst Canes basketball game I have ever watched. Inexcusable.
2000- We drew the last timeslot on Friday night, so we were one of the last first round games, and we easily beat Arkansas, who I think only got in because they surprisingly won the SEC tourney. The second round game against Ohio State was awesome. The team played great. The Sweet 16 game I didn't get to see much of, as this was back when only 1 game per timeslot was broadcast, and we were in the same timeslot as the Duke vs. Florida game, so if you didn't live in Miami or Tulsa, you only got to watch a few snippets when Duke was at halftime. I remember Tulsa getting out to a big early lead, and we did manage to come back and tie it up or even go up by 1, but then Tulsa pulled back ahead for good. Tulsa was coached by Bill Self. I think that was his last season there before he went to Illinois (which only lasted a few years due to Roy Williams leaving Kansas).
2002-Perry Clark coached team. We were the noon tipoff on Thursday, were down probably by close to 20 before the first half was done, and cheating Quinn Snyder and #12 seed Mizzou wound up going all the way to the Elite 8 that year. This was by far our worst NCAA tournament of all of these. I think we were the first team eliminated.
2008-St. Mary's first round game was good. This was a McClinton team. We made a valiant comeback against a very good Texas team in round 2 and fell just short. Great effort. The only kind thing I can say about Frank Haith is that he had this team ready for the tournament.
2013-I remember listening to Marquette vs. Davidson in the first round driving home from work, and 14 seed Davidson was choking away the game. They should have upset Marquette. I just had a feeling this would come back to haunt us. We of course easily dispatched Pacific. We did not play well against Illinois. We got lucky on a blown call in the last minute (before they used tv replay to review plays late in the game). It went out on us, but the refs called it the other way. I think we would have lost that game without that call going in our favor. That Marquette loss was tough. We couldn't hit shots in the first half.
2016-Buffalo gave us all we could handle. I remember watching that game and thinking that their coach (Nate Oats) was going places. He's coaching Alabama now. I loved our performance against Wichita State. We started off so hot and dominating, and even after Wichita State made their run and even took the lead (I think) we came right back. A great game. I remember when the bracket came out, we all kind of knew we were going to be a 3 seed, and a lot of us, myself included, were happy we got the regional where Villanova was the 2 seed. We all thought they were the weakest 2, and we were all wrong. While we lost by over 20 to Villanova in the Sweet 16, I still to this day think that was our best Sweet 16 performance, up until last year of course, and Villanova was just playing elite basketball.
2017-We were up 10-0 or something like that. We were also playing a Tom Izzo coached team. It was a tough loss, but I have no bitter feelings about it.
2018-Until last year when we finally got good again after 3 poor seasons, I thought we were forever cursed by Lonnie Walker missing the front end of the 1 and 1. I remember when the brackets came out thinking we got the worst 6-11 matchup. Loyola proved all season, and especially in the tournament, that they were very good. I thought we played a good game. Just lost to a good cinderella on a clutch 3 pointer. Other than the Lonnie Walker free throw miss, I can't remember anything else bad about our performance.
2022-We almost blew that USC game in the last minute. (Just like we almost blew the UVa regular season game this year, and did blow the Pitt game this year). The Auburn game was probably our best single NCAA game ever. Iowa State somehow played good enough defense to upset their way into the Sweet 16 and wasn't much trouble for us. (Though I can see a possible rematch with them in this year's tournament, and their good defense could give our best offense ever some fits). It's not often that a 10 seed gets to wear their home uniforms in the Sweet 16 like we did. It was so awesome to finally make an Elite 8. A little bit of our thunder was stolen by St. Peters beating Purdue that same night we beat Iowa State. We played a great first half against Kansas.

Advertisement
Went back to look up the schedule and results of the 2013 team since I think that was the best Canes team ever and I couldn’t remember a couple of the losses. Wikipedia says they lost an exhibition game to St Leo by 2 at home. Did that really happen?

View attachment 230641

Yes, and they lost to a Sweet 16 FGCU team, got blown out by Arizona in Hawaii and blew a double digit lead in Hawaii to lose to Indiana State. Didn't have a great OOC that year except for beating Michigan State.

I'm a little psyched based on our current win streak, so I'm going to type way more than I should. I started following the team in 94-95, so I remember all these seasons well. I'm not going to give my answer to the OP's question, but instead I'm going to focus on our actual NCAA tournament play in each of those seasons, in chronological order:

1998- We were probably one of the last teams to get in. We got upset in the first round of the Big East Tournament by a mediocre Georgetown team, and I think most of us thought we were NIT bound. We drew UCLA, and while we were down most of the game, we got hot in the last five minutes and either took the lead or had a chance to win at the end (I can't remember which). We fell in a close one, but it was a valiant effort.
1999-Lafayette didn't know what hit it in the 2-15 matchup. I still to this day don't know what happened to us in the 2nd round vs. Purdue. Probably the worst Canes basketball game I have ever watched. Inexcusable.
2000- We drew the last timeslot on Friday night, so we were one of the last first round games, and we easily beat Arkansas, who I think only got in because they surprisingly won the SEC tourney. The second round game against Ohio State was awesome. The team played great. The Sweet 16 game I didn't get to see much of, as this was back when only 1 game per timeslot was broadcast, and we were in the same timeslot as the Duke vs. Florida game, so if you didn't live in Miami or Tulsa, you only got to watch a few snippets when Duke was at halftime. I remember Tulsa getting out to a big early lead, and we did manage to come back and tie it up or even go up by 1, but then Tulsa pulled back ahead for good. Tulsa was coached by Bill Self. I think that was his last season there before he went to Illinois (which only lasted a few years due to Roy Williams leaving Kansas).
2002-Perry Clark coached team. We were the noon tipoff on Thursday, were down probably by close to 20 before the first half was done, and cheating Quinn Snyder and #12 seed Mizzou wound up going all the way to the Elite 8 that year. This was by far our worst NCAA tournament of all of these. I think we were the first team eliminated.
2008-St. Mary's first round game was good. This was a McClinton team. We made a valiant comeback against a very good Texas team in round 2 and fell just short. Great effort. The only kind thing I can say about Frank Haith is that he had this team ready for the tournament.
2013-I remember listening to Marquette vs. Davidson in the first round driving home from work, and 14 seed Davidson was choking away the game. They should have upset Marquette. I just had a feeling this would come back to haunt us. We of course easily dispatched Pacific. We did not play well against Illinois. We got lucky on a blown call in the last minute (before they used tv replay to review plays late in the game). It went out on us, but the refs called it the other way. I think we would have lost that game without that call going in our favor. That Marquette loss was tough. We couldn't hit shots in the first half.
2016-Buffalo gave us all we could handle. I remember watching that game and thinking that their coach (Nate Oats) was going places. He's coaching Alabama now. I loved our performance against Wichita State. We started off so hot and dominating, and even after Wichita State made their run and even took the lead (I think) we came right back. A great game. I remember when the bracket came out, we all kind of knew we were going to be a 3 seed, and a lot of us, myself included, were happy we got the regional where Villanova was the 2 seed. We all thought they were the weakest 2, and we were all wrong. While we lost by over 20 to Villanova in the Sweet 16, I still to this day think that was our best Sweet 16 performance, up until last year of course, and Villanova was just playing elite basketball.
2017-We were up 10-0 or something like that. We were also playing a Tom Izzo coached team. It was a tough loss, but I have no bitter feelings about it.
2018-Until last year when we finally got good again after 3 poor seasons, I thought we were forever cursed by Lonnie Walker missing the front end of the 1 and 1. I remember when the brackets came out thinking we got the worst 6-11 matchup. Loyola proved all season, and especially in the tournament, that they were very good. I thought we played a good game. Just lost to a good cinderella on a clutch 3 pointer. Other than the Lonnie Walker free throw miss, I can't remember anything else bad about our performance.
2022-We almost blew that USC game in the last minute. (Just like we almost blew the UVa regular season game this year, and did blow the Pitt game this year). The Auburn game was probably our best single NCAA game ever. Iowa State somehow played good enough defense to upset their way into the Sweet 16 and wasn't much trouble for us. (Though I can see a possible rematch with them in this year's tournament, and their good defense could give our best offense ever some fits). It's not often that a 10 seed gets to wear their home uniforms in the Sweet 16 like we did. It was so awesome to finally make an Elite 8. A little bit of our thunder was stolen by St. Peters beating Purdue that same night we beat Iowa State. We played a great first half against Kansas.

98: We did take a 1 point lead over UCLA late and had a chance to go up again, missed, then had a chance to tie, but missed a 3 and we lost by 3.
99: We laid an egg against Purdue. Nothing more, nothing less
00: We did come back and take a lead against Tulsa. If we would have won, we would have played UNC (who was a lower seed) in the Elite 8
02: Brutal
08: Had a chance to tie the end because Texas kept missing FTs (I think they even airballed one)
13: Larkin was really sick (the flu?) in that game and Reggie didn't play
16: I was at the Nova game in Louisville in the Sweet 16. It was actually a close game at the half, but they absolutely couldn't miss in the 2nd half.
17: I think we might have been up even more than 10, but ended up losing by 20
18: If we have Bruce Brown, we make a deep run
22: Kansas absolutely destroyed us in the second half. We couldn't score to save our lives and just started throwing up bad 3s when we got 10-12.

Advertisement
He also had a bad turnover in that final minute thirty if memory serves correct
OH your memory does serve you correctly. It was a huge turnover with under a minute left I believe. Ugh what a terrible game. Can we stop bringing it up!? Lol!

View attachment 230641

That St. Leo game wasn't televised. I remember reading about it the next day and thinking, welp, guess I won't be paying much attention to the basketball team this year.

I remember Larkin got his lunch eaten by Mark Lyons in that Arizona game, and that FGCU loss looked bad until they turned into Dunk City and ran train on pre-Ewing Georgetown in the NCAA tournament. In hindsight, that might have been the beginning of the end for the Hoyas.

Advertisement
Back