Rank the mid/late 90s UM QBs

One of those guys, Clement or Collins, was back at UM Law in the early 2000s. We played against them in intramurals and he was a total **** bag about losing in football and basketball. Almost sad to watch him take things so seriously when he wasn't that good to begin with.

Advertisement
One of those guys, Clement or Collins, was back at UM Law in the early 2000s. We played against them in intramurals and he was a total **** bag about losing in football and basketball. Almost sad to watch him take things so seriously when he wasn't that good to begin with.
Was the guy white or black? Clement-white, Collins-black.

Yeah Covington was the best in that group. You could even argue he was better than any QB we’ve had since Dorsey. I also agree with the assessment on Kenny Kelly - very high highs and very low lows. He's probably still second best on that list, although I didn’t get to watch Costa or Collins very closely.

Was the guy white or black? Clement-white, Collins-black.
It was clement...completely forgot Collins was black, granted I was only 10 at the time and living in rural NC, so the whole uncle Luke thing didn’t really register.

Advertisement
Covington, Kenny Kelly and Dorsey were the 3 that I liked from that timeframe.

The other 3 (Costa, Clement and Collins) either bring back bad memories or no memories.

The other 3 could play.

I wasn’t old enough to remember any of them, so I’d like to hear from the older guys on the board. Your options are as follows:

Frank Costa
Ryan Clement
Ryan Collins
Scott Covington
Kenny Kelly

Never watched any of these guys play
8CF7343A-4864-434B-8439-70AAE2A4E4D0.gif

Advertisement
Same, bro. My first memories were with Dorsey at the helm.
Same lol. I mean I went Back and watched some games from the 80s and stuff through highlights So I know those qbs but I can Confidently say I dont Remember seeing any of that from those qbs in the op

Advertisement
Frank Costa cost us a possible national championship in the Orange Bowl against Nebraska by ****ing away one of the most dominant performances I have ever seen in a game by Warren Sapp.

Pretty interesting to look back on that 98 team. Top 10 offense, averaged 38 points a game. Covington at QB. Stacked at RB with peak Edge, and very good backups in James Jackson and Najeh. Very good WR group with SOs Santana and Reggie, and SR Andre King. If we had landed Schiano as DC a year earlier, this team could’ve made a good run. Maybe not title good, but top 10 or top 5.

Advertisement
It's an interesting time period. Everybody talks about the teams of the 80's that bled into the early 90's. Everybody talks about the run we had from 1999-2002.

But the late 90's are a sort of the red headed ******* stepchild of our history. We acknowledge it, but it's like Fight Club rule number one.

At least we had the excuse of being on crippling probation. 2008-2015 feels worse because we didn't have that excuse. Just a ton of mediocrity.

Last edited:
Covington was easily the best of the lot. Clement was the toughest but didn't have the same caliber arm.

Saw a clip of Costa beating FSU in 94 on YouTube and then clicked the link of Covington beating UCLA in 98.
Costa sucked. But he got absolutely battered between an awful line in 1994, a team that had what I believe is the best defense in Canes history. How Costa didn't die is beyond me, and he deserves credit for hanging in there. But his ability to make reads and accurate throws was lacking.

Advertisement
Back