Random

Advertisement
Baseball, man. That's why they play 160 billion games.

Let's not forget Fresno State won a ring in 2008 as a #4 national seed. Which was seriously the most amazing and heartbreaking thing I've ever witnessed, because not only were the Canes the 1 seed that year, they were one of the most stacked teams ever. Point being, it was statistically FAR less likely than a 16 seed winning the tourney.

Rankings don't mean much in football. They mean very, very little in baseball.

Baseball, man. That's why they play 160 billion games.

Let's not forget Fresno State won a ring in 2008 as a #4 national seed. Which was seriously the most amazing and heartbreaking thing I've ever witnessed, because not only were the Canes the 1 seed that year, they were one of the most stacked teams ever. Point being, it was statistically FAR less likely than a 16 seed winning the tourney.

Rankings don't mean much in football. They mean very, very little in baseball.

#4 regional seed. They just got hot at the right time of the tournament very much like a team in basketball getting hot and going on a run

Advertisement
We were watching the SEC feed at a bar in LA. The announcer was discussing how flawed the NCAA baseball tournament was once the post-season started. My rebuttal to his posit is that you cannot play 4 of 7 in NCAA baseball like you can in MLB. He discussed how the better teams during the MLB regular season routinely won the World Series, and how rare that occurred in the NCAA tournament.

The seeding is at least more fair now than it was 4 years ago.....

We were watching the SEC feed at a bar in LA. The announcer was discussing how flawed the NCAA baseball tournament was once the post-season started. My rebuttal to his posit is that you cannot play 4 of 7 in NCAA baseball like you can in MLB. He discussed how the better teams during the MLB regular season routinely won the World Series, and how rare that occurred in the NCAA tournament.

There's a legitimate statistical argument to that, but if that's the case, why stop at 7? Have them play 10 games, 15, 20? College teams can only play so many games. You do as good as you can with what you can work with.

I think it's a real stretch to say it's "rare" that the better teams during the season win the tournament. It's more the norm than it is the exception.

Advertisement

I love the NCAA baseball post-season format. It's both fair and exciting.

You have zero idea why the original poster made that post or why I responded the way I did. No clue at all.

I have an extremely good idea why the original poster created the post. As evidenced by my first reply.

I also have a pretty good idea why you responded the way you did, and that would be because you're ignorant and looking for a scapegoat for something you don't understand.

But hey, keep jumping to conclusions about what I do and don't know. It only makes you look more ignorant.

Advertisement
I have an extremely good idea why the original poster created the post. As evidenced by my first reply.

I also have a pretty good idea why you responded the way you did, and that would be because you're ignorant and looking for a scapegoat for something you don't understand.

But hey, keep jumping to conclusions about what I do and don't know. It only makes you look more ignorant.

See, your first reply completely missed the point of his post. You have ZERO idea why he used the title “Random”. Zero. None. He wasn’t making a general observation about college baseball. There is history around here.

There's a legitimate statistical argument to that, but if that's the case, why stop at 7? Have them play 10 games, 15, 20? College teams can only play so many games. You do as good as you can with what you can work with.

I think it's a real stretch to say it's "rare" that the better teams during the season win the tournament. It's more the norm than it is the exception.

Even in a 7-game series the best team won't win a vast majority of the time.

It's absolutely rare that the better teams win the tournament. It's an observable fact.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back