Random Observations on the UVA Game

Canegrad89

Recruit
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...my nose typed all of those after I face planted on the keyboard during this "high scoring thriller." But hey...a win is a win & there was some suspense at the end. While the offense was far from dynamic there are some positives coming out of this game. Certain players really showed up & made some big plays at key moments. The DL showed out today & deserves major props. Henry Parrish refused to lose. Borregales made some pressure kicks when we badly needed them to get us into OT. Super glad this barnburner went to 4 OTs. It gave us that much more time to savor the wonderment we saw today!

The Good:

While UVA is not a good team, the entire DL deserves major props for exhibiting relentless motors, getting huge sacks at critical moments, and really anchoring a defense that limited UVA to a very low point total. LT continues to progress & showed signs today that he could be a major "war daddy" in the trenches, if he continues to work hard & stay focused. His play at critical moments was outstanding. Really looking forward to seeing him do that more consistently & for an entire game. Could be special. Agude deserves significant credit for having a relentless motor & making some great plays today (consistently applying pressure). He really stepped it up today.

Henry Parrish: willed us to victory. Ran hard & fought for key first downs & extra yardage. Refused to lose. Has proven to be an indispensable addition to the team. Given all the injuries to the RB room, imagine where we'd be this yr without him.

Borregales: made pressure-laden kicks when we really needed them. As TDs apparently weren't the thing for either team today, he did his part to keep us in the game & get it to OT.

Good flash plays at critical moments: JHH had a huge sack in the 4th qtr at a critical moment. Looked like he was shot out of a cannon. TS & Ivey with super important PBUs in the 2nd half. Blades with a really solid tackle in the red zone. Colbie Young (need to target him more). Couch with a big tackle on 3rd & short w/ 2:00 mins left in 3rd qtr. Last but not least, Jake's scramble to score the winning points was clutch. He may not have had the best game overall but he's a fighter that willed us to victory on that final play. QB play isn't just about throwing passes accurately. It's about leadership, communication, inspiring teammates & findings ways to win. Jake found a way to win today. What we saw today in the passing game was in part an over-reaction to all the INTs against Duke. He looked overcoached in this game & afraid of his own shadow. Let Jake be Jake and air it out -- with some better decision-making -- and the offense will flow much better.

OL was better today: After a poor performance by a depleted unit against Duke, the OL bounced back big time in the run game today (opened some nice holes) and the pass pro was better. Not great but a big improvement. Will need to be stout against FSU.

The Bad:

Calling 2 time-outs only to punt.
Take the delay of game & save the time-outs there. I also think running on 3rd & 15 is bush league if you're not going to go for it on 4th down. Running on 3rd down & then punting is a headscratcher. We should play to win.

Not targeting your best players on offense enough: Colbie & the TEs (all of them, including Brantley).

The UVA Team we beat: they have some decent athletes & are long but they not good rn.

The Ugly:

The Passing Game:
Every facet was deficient. Not impressed with the play calls, the spacing, the execution, or the effort of the WR. Jake appeared hesitant and like he'd perhaps been overcoached to avoid bad turnovers. I guarantee that this performance was an over-reaction to what happened against Duke with all the TOs. Jake can sling it. He will do best when he's true to himself (while getting the ball out faster & avoiding really poor decisions). I thought we targeted our least dependable WRs way too much in this game. The bulk of the targets should be going to Colbie, Mallory, X (if healthy enough), Ladson, Key Smith, Parrish, Skinner & Brantley with a little Brashard & Jacolby mixed in. If we don't go only to our most dependable pass catchers against FSU, we will lose.

LB: Malik Bryant, Popo, Washington & the Okie flip cannot get here soon enough. FSU is going to pound us with their RBs & Travis. I think we need to have our fastest & most athletic LBs in zones with one mission to shed or avoid blocks & tackle the ball carrier or receiver. Leave certain coverage responsibilities to the DBs because otherwise FSU is going to run a train on us. Our LBs need to stay in their zone & make tackles. There's often just nothing other than DBs behind the DL to make a play. #34 is probably a great kid but he doesn't have the speed to cover D1 running backs. He was totally left in the dust on one run play & didn't even attempt to close the gap. Get the three fastest LBs in zones and get them to shed blocks & make tackles (see ball; get ball). We're getting almost zero production out of the LBs. Surely making 6-10 tackles a game (if they are in zones) is better than making almost none.

Missed Tackles: Kam had a huge one that led to a 64-yard play by UVA. Ragone, Caleb (#40) & others had plenty more. We need to teach Rugby style tackling (like Pete Carroll of the Seahawks). We better get this fixed or it's going to be a very long day against FSU's run game. They have some powerful runners so we're going to have to step it up & focus on stuffing the run.

The Game: Memorable for the ending (and very good play of the DL & Parrish). Otherwise, highly forgettable but a win is a win.

BETTER DAYS AHEAD:

The commitment of Cormani McClain was absolutely huge for us. We badly needed to stay strong on the recruiting trail & he provided some much needed positive energy at a critical time. He's expressed very clearly that the '23 Class will be the one to bring us back. He sees our current struggles but isn't phased by them because he knows what that '23 Class is capable of. It's super encouraging that our '23 Class is holding strong & sticking with us no matter what. Combining that group with the best pieces we already have (such a Colbie and Leonard Taylor) will make for a very special group. The future is bright. We all simply need to stick together & support the program while progress is being made.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Advertisement
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...my nose typed all of those after I face planted on the keyboard during this "high scoring thriller." But hey...a win is a win & there was some suspense at the end. While the offense was far from dynamic there are some positives coming out of this game. Certain players really showed up & made some big plays at key moments. The DL showed out today & deserves major props. Henry Parrish refused to lose. Borregales made some pressure kicks when we badly needed them to get us into OT. Super glad this barnburner went to 4 OTs. It gave us that much more time to savor the wonderment we saw today!

The Good:

While UVA is not a good team, the entire DL deserves major props for exhibiting relentless motors, getting huge sacks at critical moments, and really anchoring a defense that limited UVA to a very low point total. LT continues to progress & showed signs today that he could be a major "war daddy" in the trenches, if he continues to work hard & stay focused. His play at critical moments was outstanding. Really looking forward to seeing him do that more consistently & for an entire game. Could be special. Agude deserves significant credit for having a relentless motor & making some great plays today (consistently applying pressure). He really stepped it up today.

Henry Parrish: willed us to victory. Ran hard & fought for key first downs & extra yardage. Refused to lose. Has proven to be an indispensable addition to the team. Given all the injuries to the RB room, imagine where we'd be this yr without him.

Borregales: made pressure-laden kicks when we really needed them. As TDs apparently weren't the thing for either team today, he did his part to keep us in the game & get it to OT.

Good flash plays at critical moments: JHH had a huge sack in the 4th qtr at a critical moment. Looked like he was shot out of a cannon. TS & Ivey with super important PBUs in the 2nd half. Blades with a really solid tackle in the red zone. Colbie Young (need to target him more). Couch with a big tackle on 3rd & short w/ 2:00 mins left in 3rd qtr. Last but not least, Jake's scramble to score the winning points was clutch. He may not have had the best game overall but he's a fighter that willed us to victory on that final play. QB play isn't just about throwing passes accurately. It's about leadership, communication, inspiring teammates & findings ways to win. Jake found a way to win today. What we saw today in the passing game was in part an over-reaction to all the INTs against Duke. He looked overcoached in this game & afraid of his own shadow. Let Jake be Jake and air it out -- with some better decision-making -- and the offense will flow much better.

OL was better today: After a poor performance by a depleted unit against Duke, the OL bounced back big time in the run game today (opened some nice holes) and the pass pro was better. Not great but a big improvement. Will need to be stout against FSU.

The Bad:

Calling 2 time-outs only to punt.
Take the delay of game & save the time-outs there. I also think running on 3rd & 15 is bush league if you're not going to go for it on 4th down. Running on 3rd down & then punting is a headscratcher. We should play to win.

Not targeting your best players on offense enough: Colbie & the TEs (all of them, including Brantley).

The UVA Team we beat: they have some decent athletes & are long but they not good rn.

The Ugly:

The Passing Game:
Every facet was deficient. Not impressed with the play calls, the spacing, the execution, or the effort of the WR. Jake appeared hesitant and like he'd perhaps been overcoached to avoid bad turnovers. I guarantee that this performance was an over-reaction to what happened against Duke with all the TOs. Jake can sling it. He will do best when he's true to himself (while getting the ball out faster & avoiding really poor decisions). I thought we targeted our least dependable WRs way too much in this game. The bulk of the targets should be going to Colbie, Mallory, X (if healthy enough), Parrish, Skinner and Brantley with a little Brashard & Jacolby mixed in. If we don't go only to our most dependable pass catchers against FSU, we will lose.

LB: Malik Bryant, Popo, Washington & the Okie flip cannot get here soon enough. FSU is going to pound us with their RBs & Travis. I think we need to have our fastest & most athletic LBs in zones with one mission to shed or avoid blocks & tackle the ball carrier or receiver. Leave certain coverage responsibilities to the DBs because otherwise FSU is going to run a train on us. Our LBs need to stay in their zone & make tackles. There's often just nothing other than DBs behind the DL to make a play. #34 is probably a great kid but he doesn't have the speed to cover D1 running backs. He was totally left in the dust on one run play & didn't even attempt to close the gap. Get the three fastest LBs in zones and get them to shed blocks & make tackles (see ball; get ball). We're getting almost zero production out of the LBs. Surely making 6-10 tackles a game (if they are in zones) is better than making almost none.

Missed Tackles: Kam had a huge one that led to a 64-yard play by UVA. Ragone, Caleb (#40) & others had plenty more. We need to teach Rugby style tackling (like Pete Carroll of the Seahawks). We better get this fixed or it's going to be a very long day against FSU's run game. They have some powerful runners so we're going to have to step it up & focus on stuffing the run.

The Game: Memorable for the ending (and very good play of the DL & Parrish). Otherwise, highly forgettable but a win is a win.

BETTER DAYS AHEAD:

The commitment of Cormani McClain was absolutely huge for us. We badly needed to stay strong on the recruiting trail & he provided some much needed positive energy at a critical time. He's expressed very clearly that the '23 Class will be the one to bring us back. He sees our current struggles but isn't phased by them because he knows what that '23 Class is capable of. It's super encouraging that our '23 Class is holding strong & sticking with us no matter what. Combining that group with the best pieces we already have (such a Colbie and Leonard Taylor) will make for a very special group. The future is bright. We all simply need to stick together & support the program while progress is being made.

Your thoughts?
Easily one of the most boneheaded and football novice things I've read all day

Advertisement
Didn’t Diaz teach the rugby style tackling? If I am right, that is exactly why we are in the mess we are in with his hold over players. The stats show the transfers are the best tacklers and the Diaz coached players are the worst. So please no Rugby style if I am correct on that.

Didn’t Diaz teach the rugby style tackling? If I am right, that is exactly why we are in the mess we are in with his hold over players. The stats show the transfers are the best tacklers and the Diaz coached players are the worst. So please no Rugby style if I am correct on that.
I mean, I'm not against it but, I'm gonna go based on timing here.
Diaz wanted to implement that style cause the Seahawks defense was the Legion of Doom and the rave at the time. Nowadays, no one talks about it because they're defense is just like everyone else. Tackling is about wanting to impose violence onto someone, it's a mentality half the time.

Coach Hayes did a very good analysis of the problems with our current style of tackling (which is mostly "shoulder shrugs") on his weekly review video. He broke down one play where James Williams could have used his arms & shoulders to wrap up near the goal line but instead chose to simply stick a shoulder in. The opponent bounced off that shoulder (which only delivered a glancing blow) & scored a TD. Stopping the opponent short of the goal line may have resulted in a goal-line stand & a FG instead of a TD (a huge difference in tightly contested ACC games which are often won or lost on the smallest of margins).

Rugby style tackling allows at least five connections to the opponent (two hands, two arms, a shoulder & the head) which makes it much likely that the player is wrapped up. The shoulder shrug method the players currently employ involves sticking a single shoulder in (which may mean 1-2 connection points max). The odds of securing the opponent are clearly higher if you have multiple connections to the opponent instead of one. Further, even if the rugby style tackle isn't entirely successful in bringing down the opponent it may slow him down enough (by "holding on" somewhat with an arm) to allow teammates to assist in the tackle & make a play.

Opponents have been routinely bouncing off the shoulder shrugs our players give and it's leading to chunk plays. I can't see one reason you wouldn't want to employ a more sound tackling method that has a higher probability of success.

It may help, if I shed a little additional light on some of the comments. The only things debatable in my OP are:

1) The approach to the play of the LBs: All of the dedicated LBs on the current roster have a total of 63 solo tackles in 2022 through 8 games. As a group, they may not even eclipse the solo tackle totals of one guy (Dan Morgan) from the year 2000. At his best, Dan recorded 20 total tackles twice and 15 total tackles six times. Our current players are averaging approximately 2.6 solo tackles per game. It's not the coaching. It's the current talent (with the best talent being young & inexperienced). The middle of the field is wide open far too often. This why the Duke QB ran QB draws 14 times with many of those being very successful. It's why Duke ran for over 200 yards on us. Their RB also lit us up. Coaching LBs to use traditional keys only to find them running straight into the backs of the DL...and out of the play...is not working. Having them drop 20 yards into coverage & leaving the middle of the field wide open is not working. At least against FSU (where the primary focus should be on stopping Jordan Travis and the 2 RBS), assign the fastest & most athletic LBs zones and let them focus on shedding blocks & tackling the ball carrier. They are often running themselves out of plays or way out of position. You can probably double the tackling production in the FSU game by doing this. It's not a coaching issue. It's a talent issue. Our entire group of LBs may not reach Dan Morgan's tackle totals for the year 2000. Things may need to be simplified for the current crop (at least against FSU) and then go back to traditional teachings for the 2023 class which hopefully will have the football IQ & speed to implement those teachings correctly. We need greater production from the LB corps. The stats prove that.

2) Rugby Tackling vs Current Method: See my other post above. Rugby tackling has a much higher probability of success due to a greater number of touchpoints or connections to the opponent. It's actually baffling that it would not be taught. Opponents bounce off the shoulder shrugs we give & gain chunk yardage. Mind numbing.

3) Jake: He was one of the top QBs in CA coming out of HS and won a state championship in a state known for having a lot of stud QBs. He was ranked around #5 in his class at the QB position. He's a much better QB than he showed today. He was likely a little out of rhythm due to being overly cautious with the ball & trying to avoid bad INTs. On one of the INTs against Duke, his arm was hit by a defender which changed the path of the ball materially and resulted in an INT. Yes, the other two INTs were poor throws (and I'm sure he'd love to have those back). The fumbles were a function of the OL really deteriorating at the end of the Duke game and the pass rushers were coming through virtually unhindered on every down. It's not surprising that he fumbled the ball when he was getting pummeled repeatedly & had very little time to do anything. The entire team fell apart in the 4th qtr of that game. Jake takes most of the blame for that because he's the most visible guy in that game. I think that analysis is way too simplistic. I'm 100% sure that his performance would have been significantly better in that game had the OL given him some halfway decent protection and the running game was actually working. Sometimes it's frustrating posting on here because the analysis by some posters is based on flaming & knee jerk reactions instead of film study, diving deeper & giving some thought to the root causes underlying certain performance issues. Jake had a rough game against Duke but that does not mean he's a bad QB at all. It was a total team breakdown. The lazy & overly basic answer is to point the finger at the QB.

It would be a huge improvement if certain posters weren't openly rude on sites like this. There's no need for that.

Advertisement
Jake is not a good QB! TVD is our best chance against FSU and he's hurt!

Honestly, one of the highlights of this lowlight season is the Jake Garcia fanboys getting shut down. Nothing worse than the contingent of a fan base who rails on a starting quarterback and overhypes what the back-up would do IF he had his shot .... well now we all know, as six quarters of football have proven #13 is nowhere near ready, while #9, with all his flaws is LIGHT YEARS the better option.

Seattle Seahawks and several other teams beg to differ.

Good post but they decided to run on 3d and 15 because they didn’t trust the passing game.

Thank you. If they had gone for it on 4th down (after failing to convert on 3rd & 15) instead of punting, I wouldn't have questioned running on 3rd down as much. However, you're not playing to win if you run on 3rd & 15 and then punt. The odds of making that 3rd & 15 by running in the ACC have to be extremely low (less than 5.0% probability).

We barely scraped by today scoring less than 20 points. We've been beaten by a healthy margin by a couple teams that scored over 40 points. We will need to score more than 20 to win against all of our remaining points...likely a lot more than 20.

I think it's important to try and win games (not keep them close or avoid turnovers at all costs). Who cares if he had thrown an INT down there. It wouldn't have been much different in terms of field position than punting it to them because we were on their end of the field. The only difference is by passing & trying to convert on 3rd down, you have a high probability to retain possession of the ball (which makes you more likely to win the game). Running on 3rd & 15 & then punting is almost assuredly the same outcome as throwing an INT (because the run on third down has such a low probability of success). It's virtually certain to hand the ball back to them. Why would anyone do that (except to run the clock out in a game where you already have a big lead)?

Advertisement
Could you be more specific? Since you went out of your way to insult OP you could at least give examples of what you thought was boneheaded and why. Also it isn't every day that I get to read the insights of a football guru like yourself. Come on and educate us.

Coach Hayes did a very good analysis of the problems with our current style of tackling (which is mostly "shoulder shrugs") on his weekly review video. He broke down one play where James Williams could have used his arms & shoulders to wrap up near the goal line but instead chose to simply stick a shoulder in. The opponent bounced off that shoulder (which only delivered a glancing blow) & scored a TD. Stopping the opponent short of the goal line may have resulted in a goal-line stand & a FG instead of a TD (a huge difference in tightly contested ACC games which are often won or lost on the smallest of margins).

Rugby style tackling allows at least five connections to the opponent (two hands, two arms, a shoulder & the head) which makes it much likely that the player is wrapped up. The shoulder shrug method the players currently employ involves sticking a single shoulder in (which may mean 1-2 connection points max). The odds of securing the opponent are clearly higher if you have multiple connections to the opponent instead of one. Further, even if the rugby style tackle isn't entirely successful in bringing down the opponent it may slow him down enough (by "holding on" somewhat with an arm) to allow teammates to assist in the tackle & make a play.

Opponents have been routinely bouncing off the shoulder shrugs our players give and it's leading to chunk plays. I can't see one reason you wouldn't want to employ a more sound tackling method that has a higher probability of success.

The reason you see the shoulder is that those types of hits, when delivered with authority, are harder hitting. All of your mass is centered on one contact point. It's basically the big hit hit.

Sure, big hits come in all varieties, but if you're shoulder checking and hitting someone, it's a violent collision. There's certainly more margin for error (as we've seen) and I'd rather someone wrap up, but it's kids going for the highlight.

Tackling is so weird anymore with all the new rules designed to protect the player. Shoulder hits are less likely to lead to a spearing / targeting call. Squaring up, you can get screwed easier if the target goes lower than you, etc. There can be a time for both, but wrap up when you can.

Honestly, one of the highlights of this lowlight season is the Jake Garcia fanboys getting shut down. Nothing worse than the contingent of a fan base who rails on a starting quarterback and overhypes what the back-up would do IF he had his shot .... well now we all know, as six quarters of football have proven #13 is nowhere near ready, while #9, with all his flaws is LIGHT YEARS the better option.

Jake & TVD both had exactly the same # of completions & passing attempts against UVA in 2021 & 2022 (15 for 29). One big difference: Jake found a way to win the game at the end (with his legs & determination). TVD lost to UVA in 2021.

Advertisement
Jake & TVD both had exactly the same # of completions & passing attempts against UVA in 2021 & 2022 (15 for 29). One big difference: Jake found a way to win the game at the end (with his legs & determination). TVD lost to UVA in 2021.
please delete this nonsense bc you know exactly that this is nonsense lol

Advertisement
Back