Random Observations on the Independence Bowl

Canegrad89

Recruit
No game encapsulated the issues facing the Miami program more than this one:

• It was a minor miracle that the D limited La Tech to 14 pts given the putrid showing on O. The D was short-handed and yet kept La Tech to 7 pts deep into the 4th quarter. The D was not the problem.

• The Offense was horrific. This should be the last game for Enos & Butch Barry (at minimum). Bring in a new OC & let him choose his own guys. It's hard to fathom that we couldn't score any points.

• Enos lacks a feel for playcalling (everywhere but particularly in the red zone) and he lacks people skills (and his players have tuned out). Dan -- the hard @ss approach may have worked at Baga (see Satan) but generally speaking that old school authoritarian approach went out of style 30 yrs ago. You've got to be able to relate to your players & motivate them.

Other notes:

MAKE THE OL THE PRIORITY EVERY DAY & IN EVERY WAY: Every coach on the staff needs to make OL recruiting a priority every day. Manny needs to lead that charge in the Portal & in HS recruiting. Every meeting should start with discussions about the OL (recruiting, development, game plans etc). OL needs to become the #1 priority of the program (together with recruiting & development of QBs). QB is the most important position but they can't function at their best without a solid OL. Miami has a great group of RBs (Lingard, Chaney, Knighton & others) and TEs and can always get great skill position players in South FL. FIX THE OL!! MAKE THAT THE PRIORITY EVERY DAY & IN EVERY WAY. TVD looks like a stud. Protect him. Even Kosi & JW would perform better behind a solid OL. Make really fixing the OL the #1 priority every day & in every way. This needs to become the focal point of the program. This yr would have looked so different with even a decent OL & a solid K.

Kosi has a better W-L record this season than Jarren. He isn't perfect but he's a competitor and I'm proud of him for demonstrating more maturity & leadership. He's a better competitor than Jarren, a better runner than Jarren & is better at throwing the deep ball. Kosi will need to develop significantly as a passer, improve his preparation & continue his maturation if he wants to play a major role going forward. I hope he'll work on his accuracy, preparation & decision-making/mental game. He may not be the savior we're looking for but he may need to play a lead role while TVD develops.

Jarren is the best passer when the bullets aren't flying. I'd take him all day long if the game consisted of throwing at stationary targets. Jarren needs to be a better teammate, quit threatening to transfer, show real leadership, prepare better & win more. His W-L record is not good. He needs to look hard in the mirror because his sense of value to the program doesn't match his performance on the field. He isn't very good currently (and that's totally not a flame). He needs to show greater maturity, leadership, team orientation, vision and, most importantly, a greater will to win. I hope he matures, commits to improving his craft, continues to work on his conditioning and comes back to show us what he's really got. He didn't this year. His performance was underwhelming (and you can't blame that all on the OL).

Tate: had a tremendous opportunity to shine today. Had he not taken time off & had he continued to work hard every day at every practice, he would have been more ready to show something in this bowl game and one successful, organized series may have led to more. His performance was erratic & showed a lack of preparation (and may be in part the result of some off-field issues). Had he come in & taken the game by the reins, he may have played a bigger role going forward. What we saw instead was a frenetic mess. I was rooting hard for Tate to do well. His lack of prep & time away from the team really showed in his limited time in the game.

Lingard: Will be RB1 next season. He will have a great opportunity to shine under a new OC. It was ridiculous that he didn't play today but he should not lose sight of the fact that a new OC will have a clue how to use his best assets on offense. Lingard, Brevin, Mallory, Chaney & Knighton will be a filthy good combo on offense. Lingard has a great shot at being RB1 so bolting would be a serious mistake IMHO. The new OC will make him the featured back. We desperately need more pop at RB. 120th in the country in rushing yards ain't it. Really hoping Lorenzo sticks around & is a key leader in making Miami great again. He will be a star at Miami next year.

Manny: I understand that many fans will blast Manny & call for him to be replaced. Sure, he deserves some serious criticism. However, he's a very good defensive mind as this bowl game showed. The defense performed well today under the toughest of circumstances. No CEO in history has ever gotten every hire right. He simply needs to get the right OC AND the right offensive staff. Enos & Butch Barry ain't it IMHO. The new OC should have free rein to bring in his guys (with input from Manny). Paired with a great OC, Manny will do well if he makes OL the #1 focus of the team (and kills it in the Portal this offseason for OL & a senior WR), hires a new special teams coach, gets Borregales or another scholarship K & adds some strong recruiters to his coaching staff.

Miami Football will rise again if critical adjustments are made. Yes, what we saw today on offense was pretty pathetic but things will get significantly better. There is much work to be done. The coaches need to work around the clock every day to fix this (or they will all be gone). Major adjustments need to be made. Blake & Jenn should be gone too. It is sad to see what has happened to a once iconic program. Shame on all those responsible. Things will get better though.

Your thoughts?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Dude... that D played a Go5 offense. Manny is **** and that’s that. He doesn’t deserve another year.
We had one of the top defenses in the nation in 2018. The D totally kept us in the game today until the very end of the 4th qtr...and they did that with absolutely everything working against them (short-handed and zero production on Offense).

Manny is a very good defensive mind. He desperately needs a competent OC and ST coach though. It's fair to criticize Manny for other things but not for his abilities as a DC.

Advertisement
We had one of the top defenses in the nation in 2018. The D totally kept us in the game today until the very end of the 4th qtr...and they did that with absolutely everything working against them (short-handed and zero production on Offense).

Manny is a very good defensive mind. He desperately needs a competent OC and ST coach though. It's fair to criticize Manny for other things but not for his abilities as a DC.
Manny is not our DC. Which is the problem. He’s the HC. I’d be totally OK with him moving back to DC and another HC taking over.

Good coordinators oftentimes don’t make good head coaches. More often than not, probably.

Last edited:
Manny is not our OC. Which is the problem. I’d be totally fine with him moving back to OC and another OC taking over.
giphy.gif

Agree with most of what you said. Bring on spring.

O line will be the priority and an actual ******* playcaller on offense. I am honestly not that worried about defense. I was impressed with Sam at LB. Kid is Alpha.

Kosi stays and Tate prob does too. Something is off with Jarren. I don't get it.

Canes aren't winning anything until they find a real QB. I think we've seen enough to know that Jarren/Nikosi/Tate just don't have it to play at this level. As for Enos, he's so far in over his head it's now obvious why he's changed jobs so much. We've been through firing asst coaches left & right hoping to fix the problem back in the Coker days and we all know how that worked out.

Advertisement

You're forgetting one key point in your praise of our defense last night: it was crappy Louisiana Tech with a poor man's Malik Rosier at QB.

Advertisement

Manny is absolutely not a good defensive mind. He’s a middle of the road guy who gave up 30 to FIU.

MAKE THE OL THE PRIORITY EVERY DAY & IN EVERY WAY: Every coach on the staff needs to make OL recruiting a priority every day. Manny needs to lead that charge in the Portal & in HS recruiting. Every meeting should start with discussions about the OL (recruiting, development, game plans etc). OL needs to become the #1 priority of the program (together with recruiting & development of QBs). QB is the most important position but they can't function at their best without a solid OL. Miami has a great group of RBs (Lingard, Chaney, Knighton & others) and TEs and can always get great skill position players in South FL. FIX THE OL!! MAKE THAT THE PRIORITY EVERY DAY & IN EVERY WAY. TVD looks like a stud. Protect him. Even Kosi & JW would perform better behind a solid OL. Make really fixing the OL the #1 priority every day & in every way. This needs to become the focal point of the program. This yr would have looked so different with even a decent OL & a solid K.
I read on this site that our OL talent was great because of some draft picks 15 years ago or something.

Canes aren't winning anything until they find a real QB. I think we've seen enough to know that Jarren/Nikosi/Tate just don't have it to play at this level. As for Enos, he's so far in over his head it's now obvious why he's changed jobs so much. We've been through firing asst coaches left & right hoping to fix the problem back in the Coker days and we all know how that worked out.
This job is there for Van Dyke to grab imho. Not that he will, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Advertisement
Back