Random Observations on the Ga Tech Game

Canegrad89

Recruit
We snatched defeat from the jaws of victory on this one. Tough loss after such a great start to the season. Really unfortunate timing with a big game against UNC coming up next wk & so many prominent recruits in the stands. Disappointed the offense had its worst game of the yr. TVD flat out had a bad game (which happens to all athletes in all sports). Stinks that it happened on a night when we really wanted to put on a great offensive display (with Jeremiah Smith, Ny Carr & other blue chip recruits in attendance). The offense was surprisingly boring & predictable (maybe in part due to the weather). D played very well until the last series.

The Ugly:

Failing to go into victory formation.
Mario & Dawson alone have over 60 yrs of combined high level coaching & football experience & should know that there was no need to run anything other than a kneel down on the last two plays. Inexcusable.

Ruling on the Chaney "Fumble". While it was ruled a fumble on the field (which made it tough for the ref to overturn), it genuinely appeared not to be a fumble (and that's not me being a homer). Chaney's elbow was down when the stripping motion of the defender commenced (that stripping motion began quite late in the play).

Chaney Not Having Two Hands on the Ball. While MC said in his presser that the coaches were preaching two hands on the ball, it wasn't implemented & it cost us the game. Big fan of Chaney who has a bright future (and needs to keep his chin up & keep fighting) but he flat out made a major mistake. While the play should never have been run in the first place, it was run & he should have had two hands on the ball & not fought for extra yards either. All they had to do was run the clock out.

Four Turnovers (Three INTs & a Fumble Lost). TVD didn't look confident or comfortable most of the night. For the first time this yr, he made a series of bad decisions. He had 3 INTs and threw at least one more that could easily have been picked off. Not suggesting that Emory replace him as the QB but I do think Emory could have played a series or two in this game just to let TVD settle down & gather his composure.

Kam on the final offensive play by GT. Even though the QB was showing run on that final play, there's almost no chance the QB could have run 45+ yards to win. With that in mind, you can't let their WRs get behind you & into the endzone. Got to keep the play in front of you in that situation.

The Bad:

The Offense Was Far Too Predictable Tonight.
Genuinely surprised by how vanilla the offense was tonight (although the rain & slippery turf likely influenced the play calling). The offense was far too reliant on X tonight. It can't be so heavily reliant on X the rest of the season or we're in trouble as the O will be way too predictable & TVD will throw a ton more picks. Most of Colbie's yards came on one play (4 for 59) so it felt like he was a non-factor most of the game. Jacolby only had two catches for 35 (and most of those yds were on one catch). On a night like this (where TVD was clearly off & not having a good game), the TEs could have & should have provided a major security blanket. They are big targets that present matchup nightmares. They can use their big frames to "protect the ball". They have significant catch radiuses. Can't wait for Arroyo to be ready. He will be one of the best & most consistent pass catching threats we have. Even more importantly, we won't be so heavily reliant on one WR (which is going to be far too predictable if it continues). Would also like to see Cam & Riley getting much more targets (and Skinner out of the doghouse because we need him). We should have packages where 3-4 of the TEs are on the field at the same time (with Skinner & Arroyo, at minimum, split out). Big targets with reliable hands would help TVD's confidence when he's off & make our passing game less reliant on one WR (which great coaches will fight hard to take away from us in upcoming games).

No Chris Johnson & Very Little Harrell. The run game was pretty solid at around 3.7 ypc but a significant majority of the runs were between the tackles (predictable) and it never felt like we were going to have an explosive play. CJ's elite speed could have made the difference. Dude is electric. Even 5-6 touches could have made a difference. Dump the ball off to him in space. Run a toss sweep or a reverse. Same thing with Harrell (elite speed not being used enough). Throw him at least one deep ball per game (that should be the minimum). Also, put the ball in his hands (many simple ways to do that) & let him burn. We're not using some of our most potent weapons (which is really surprising to me).

The Good:

The Defense. With the exception of the final series, they played really well. They only gave up 251 yds of total offense & 99 on the ground (with about half of that from their QB). So, they bottled up the RBs & only yielded 152 passing yds. The Offense lost this game through the four (4) TOs. James Williams, Bain, Kelly, Deen & others had some really good plays in this game.

This was a crushing loss no doubt (especially the way it happened) but this team has worked too hard & achieved too much this season to mail it in because of this one fluke loss. There's still a lot of football to be played & almost all of their goals can still be achieved if they put this one behind them fast & come out ready to show the CFB world who they really are next wk at UNC.

Your thoughts?

Advertisement
I know kam let the defender get behind him at the end but it looked like couch switched up his coverage.

Listen, this is not a team that will win big but its time to start letting the Ray Ray's, popo's, and the brown brothers among others to play more.
Flagg is running around like a little fat kid, Couch is being targeted EVERY week, George doesnt fight for balls. give the youth some chances.

Advertisement
I know kam let the defender get behind him at the end but it looked like couch switched up his coverage.

Listen, this is not a team that will win big but its time to start letting the Ray Ray's, popo's, and the brown brothers among others to play more.
Flagg is running around like a little fat kid, Couch is being targeted EVERY week, George doesnt fight for balls. give the youth some chances.
I truly don't understand how every year Miami has CBs transfer in who started and played well for their former teams, but can't get on the field at Miami despite the players ahead of them not being great (the DBs this year are playing better than last year). Last year it was Porter and this year it is Brown. For the most part, the other transfers seem to play at or better than expected but the DBs...

We need more talent at RB.
There is no game changer in that room. Maybe that is Citizen. Fletcher is good but he not going 60. Chaney and Parrish are good for 20-25 max. Johnson can go but he's to small imo right now. Allen do not get much burn to tell. We getting yards but alot are left on the table due to lack of explosiveness at the second level

Advertisement
There is no game changer in that room. Maybe that is Citizen. Fletcher is good but he not going 60. Chaney and Parrish are good for 20-25 max. Johnson can go but he's to small imo right now. Allen do not get much burn to tell. We getting yards but alot are left on the table due to lack of explosiveness at the second level
Yup. I get that we not getting all the talent at once but the portal should’ve given us a nice RB. Idk why Chaney gets hyped on here. Is it bc some of the users on here were his coach or family?

Harrell was targeted a few times and flat out dropped a ball

George didn’t fight for anything— seemed like he was always behind his coverage or locked up hand fighting. One of the picks was TVD forcing a ball to him. Where was Colbie Young for large chunks of the game?

At least Restrepo made himself available and made plays

Offense WAS just off. No creativity and seemed totally about running the ball. Not even much tempo which actually seemed to help when they DID use it

Frustrating game all around on offense.
Defense did enough to win with the exception of the last 26 seconds

As upset as the fan base is I doubt anyone associated with that team sleeps much tonight

Advertisement
My thoughts:

- We’re the same mediocre team we have trotted the last 20 years.
- Mario is either insane, idiot or both. I honestly think this game is such a black mark on his record, sans a NC I don’t think he’ll work as head coach again.
- We really lack playmakers. There are night when things just don’t go right, and you PM to bail you out. I don’t see them.
- We are 0-1 in ACC play, losing to a 21 pt underdog at home@night.
- I wish there were no recruits at the game. Theirs is no way we are selling this manure to anyone.
- NC is going to rape this team next week.
- one more loss and the team packs in.
- Mario might be worse than Napier.

Advertisement
Back