Random Observations on the Clemson Game

Canegrad89

Recruit
These are the primary reasons we lost the Clemson game (in addition to the fact that they have an elite QB/RB combo):

1) Lack of Discipline: We had way too many penalties. The early penalties (e.g., offsides by Roche) led to TDs that would not have happened otherwise and completely changed the trajectory of the game from the early stages. Our Defense did a great job of stopping a potent & well-coached offense...only to find out they didn't due to lack of discipline. We don't have the uber-talented rosters of the late 80s, early 90s and 00s. CANNOT SHOOT YOURSELVES IN THE FOOT EVERY GAME with dumb penalties. Manny has a battle to change the lack of discipline. We've suffered from this for a long time. Play with heart & fire but play smart, disciplined football. Gotta fix this in a big way because we literally gave the game away. What ideas do you have to fix this problem? I don't think just "punishing" player by making them ride the pine is the answer. I think that making a disciplined approach to playing football has to become a major part of the culture of the program (that the players all have each others backs & don't want to let each other down). The players have to buy-in to taking a team-oriented approach that fosters winning. This is actually easy to fix, if you devote sufficient time & attention to it.

2) Clemson played tough, hard-nosed, disciplined football. Sure, there were a couple of well-designed play calls on Offense which led to the play succeeding due to its design (and the refs unquestionably helped Clemson) but most of their success came from playing tough, disciplined football and executing flawlessly on well-conceived game plans (particularly defensively).

3) Clemson played as COHESIVE units on both sides of the ball. That defense plays as one Unit. They all know what they are doing and they play seamlessly as a group. That is a mix of coaching, preparation & discipline.

4) Their DL played far more physical than our OL: this OL appears to be making strides (versus last year) but we've got to recruit top notch talent for the OL. If you can't at least consistently make two yards running the ball (and are getting stopped for no gain repeatedly), that's partly failure to adjust your scheme on offense and partly a lack of hosses on the OL. Needs to be a major focus in recruiting.

5) Our WR disappeared: Attrition in what appeared to be a stacked WR room a couple of years ago has really cost us. Venables knew Clemson would win if they made it a contest between our WRs and their DBs. Props to Keyshawn Smith and I like Redding (he's got a frame that would help him in this type of match-up). Disappointed that our WRs were really a non-factor last night. We need a major upgrade at WR and OL to get to the next level.

6) TEs wildly underutilized: Our offense should be a nightmare to defend. The #1 weapon we have is two dynamic TEs. Just shell shock opponents getting the ball to the TEs. Mallory needs to continue to emerge, get more targets and show a little more dawg for this team to finish the season strong. We're incredibly blessed at the TE position. USE THEM -- THEY ARE BY FAR YOUR BEST WEAPONS.

7) Failure by Lashlee to Adjust Early:
running into the teeth of a stacked box with Cam was pointless. Adjust when you see what they are doing. I'm a big fan of Rhett Lashlee but his game plan last night (and failure to adjust) was disappointing. Throw the ball to TEs and throw it to Knighton & Chaney in space. Don't continue to run into a stacked box and waste downs. Have D'Eriq scramble more. He had some serious success with his legs. Roll him out to give him some time. More trick plays. Anything to keep them off-balance a little and not play straight into their hands.

Your thoughts?

Advertisement
These are the primary reasons we lost the Clemson game (in addition to the fact that they have an elite QB/RB combo):

1) Lack of Discipline: We had way too many penalties. The early penalties (e.g., offsides by Roche) led to TDs that would not have happened otherwise and completely changed the trajectory of the game from the early stages. Our Defense did a great job of stopping a potent & well-coached offense...only to find out they didn't due to lack of discipline. We don't have the uber-talented rosters of the late 80s, early 90s and 00s. CANNOT SHOOT YOURSELVES IN THE FOOT EVERY GAME with dumb penalties. Manny has a battle to change the lack of discipline. We've suffered from this for a long time. Play with heart & fire but play smart, disciplined football. Gotta fix this in a big way because we literally gave the game away. What ideas do you have to fix this problem? I don't think just "punishing" player by making them ride the pine is the answer. I think that making a disciplined approach to playing football has to become a major part of the culture of the program (that the players all have each others backs & don't want to let each other down). The players have to buy-in to taking a team-oriented approach that fosters winning. This is actually easy to fix, if you devote sufficient time & attention to it.

2) Clemson played tough, hard-nosed, disciplined football. Sure, there were a couple of well-designed play calls on Offense which led to the play succeeding due to its design (and the refs unquestionably helped Clemson) but most of their success came from playing tough, disciplined football and executing flawlessly on well-conceived game plans (particularly defensively).

3) Clemson played as COHESIVE units on both sides of the ball. That defense plays as one Unit. They all know what they are doing and they play seamlessly as a group. That is a mix of coaching, preparation & discipline.

4) Their DL played far more physical than our OL: this OL appears to be making strides (versus last year) but we've got to recruit top notch talent for the OL. If you can't at least consistently make two yards running the ball (and are getting stopped for no gain repeatedly), that's partly failure to adjust your scheme on offense and partly a lack of hosses on the OL. Needs to be a major focus in recruiting.

5) Our WR disappeared: Attrition in what appeared to be a stacked WR room a couple of years ago has really cost us. Venables knew Clemson would win if they made it a contest between our WRs and their DBs. Props to Keyshawn Smith and I like Redding (he's got a frame that would help him in this type of match-up). Disappointed that our WRs were really a non-factor last night. We need a major upgrade at WR and OL to get to the next level.

6) TEs wildly underutilized: Our offense should be a nightmare to defend. The #1 weapon we have is two dynamic TEs. Just shell shock opponents getting the ball to the TEs. Mallory needs to continue to emerge, get more targets and show a little more dawg for this team to finish the season strong. We're incredibly blessed at the TE position. USE THEM -- THEY ARE BY FAR YOUR BEST WEAPONS.

running into the teeth of a stacked box with Cam was pointless. Adjust when you see what they are doing. I'm a big fan of Rhett Lashlee but his game plan last night (and failure to adjust) was disappointing. Throw the ball to TEs and throw it to Knighton & Chaney in space. Don't continue to run into a stacked box and waste downs. Have D'Eriq scramble more. He had some serious success with his legs. Roll him out to give him some time. More trick plays. Anything to keep them off-balance a little and not play straight into their hands.

Your thoughts?
The guy got called and then continued to be off sides. The ref clearly could have called it again and tried to avoid it. Roche will have some bone head plays every no and then. But don’t get me wrong. I am glad to have him.

Agree w/ all except #6. The entire Clemson D gameplan was to take our TEs out of the game. They bracketed Jordan nearly all game. There's a reason why there were so many 50/50 balls thrown to our WRs -- they were all being covered one on one -- while doubling Jordan and keying on the running game. Bottomline is that without a WR who can't beat man coverage, ANY offense is limited.

Your thoughts?
I could have written this, I completely agree with everything you said. Lashlee went down quite a few pegs last night. Mallory will probably transfer or go pro since they never ******* use him. It's so dumb.

After watching the Dolphins kicking butt today and seeing what Brian Flores is building its obvious Manny is not a head coach. I bring the board to the attention of LACK OF FOCUS when UM got a turnover last night these kids are celebrating on the sideline with the turnover chain like they were up by 3 touchdowns. They were getting their asses handed to them in every way possible. Personally myself I think with the mentality of our team the turnover chain is an obstacle and not a positive reinforcement for UM.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back