RAID THE BIG 10 AND PAC 12!

I see what you're saying now and understand.

While I don't think they would allow a mass exodus, maybe it's a possibility they raise it to 27 ICs and 90 total. Something minor like that.

Or at the very least, allow grad transfers to not count as an IC.

Advertisement
If they "actually" play in spring, how will EE's be affected or even have a role? The team would be in the middle of their season, I doubt EE's would be able to just jump right into practices. I doubt the team wants to worry about players that no nothing about the system, while they are trying to game plan for the next game.. So none of the recruits could really start until summer.

A waiver is just something that allows a player to avoid the 1-year sit-out rule when he transfers under all other valid rules (player enters the portal and signs with a school under the 25 IC and 85 counter rules).

That's not what is being discussed here.

There are 15 ACC teams, 14 SEC teams, and 10 Big 12 teams that are already very close to (or at) their limits of 25 ICs and 85 counters for the 2020-2021 school year.

What some people are claiming is that the NCAA will imminently change the rules so that these 39 schools can poach all the players from the conferences that have cancelled or delayed the 2020 football season.

It is now August 12. The fall semester starts in a few days. There is no NCAA rule change that has even been proposed. The NCAA has a long history of fighting against rules that would benefit student-athletes, including fighting the NIL rules all the way to the Supreme Court.

Yet we are supposed to believe that the NCAA will, in a matter of days, allow mass transfers...because we want them to...and/or so the NCAA can help a few student-athletes all of a sudden, even though they've shown no inclination to respond to the problems and realities of Covid for months?

Yeah, just keep believing that dopey "fresssh" guy. I'm sure he's plugged in. "Without question". No evidence, no proof, but he just uses that "without question" logic.
Just curious tho, aside from anything special, the regular waiver would still work for teams that have space.

Was Jaiden Francois granted a waiver? One would assume he will be if he hasn't already. The fact that Lingard and JT Daniels got waivers for no reason would support a kid coming home from comic receiving a waiver.

So maybe there is no special changes, but there still might be an increase in transfers.

Keyshawn Green to FSU
Fleming to UCF
Etc.

I see what you're saying now and understand.

While I don't think they would allow a mass exodus, maybe it's a possibility they raise it to 27 ICs and 90 total. Something minor like that.

Or at the very least, allow grad transfers to not count as an IC.

Yes, and you are a good dude who likes to converse. I'm just a bit frustrated with guys who are SWEARING that this is all going to happen and that the NCAA will finally (after 100 years of doing otherwise) help out student-athletes.

There are ton of great possible ideas, I am just concerned that the NCAA has delayed so long and been so inconsistent.

This is no criticism of your idea, I'm just spitballing what a possible objection would be, and that is that only "the best" football players from other programs would get scholarships, and the other kids who want to transfer don't have a shot.

It's just a very interesting debate - do you take half-measures or full-measures? Half-measures probably don't go far enough, and full-measures would rip the NCAA apart. And while the fans may WANT the NCAA to fall apart, what comes next? Part of the appeal of college sports is the fact that it is a "relatively" fair competition level. If, overnight, you eliminated all of the administrative, rule-making, and officiating roles performed by the NCAA, then it's going to take a long time to replace that. There's a reason that the XFL and other football leagues need a couple of years to get their ****e together.

This whole situation is a mess. Here's what we REALLY need:

1. You have over 130 Division I-A universities. Conferences were initially created for ACADEMIC info-sharing. The NCAA should try to create a situation where 100 universities all work together towards Covid-19 best practices, including the development of RAPID TEST RESULTS. Good lord, we have an amazing laboratory and medical testing capability at our nation's universities. If (during WWII) we can get all the auto-makers to build tanks and planes, why in the **** can we not get universities to share info and labs to create the capacity to give same-day results for Covid-19 test results?

2. Once we get the testing online, the NCAA takes a firm stand on how to structure a season for the spring. Set dates, number of conference games, protocols for playing in domed stadiums (in bad-weather situations). Cap the stadium capacity at 40% and require masks for all fans. Don't let the P5 conferences freelance. Use the COMBINED strength of the P5 schools to work with the NFL to push back the draft (and even if upperclassmen still opt out, do NOT create a situation where the draft is happening during the College World Series as currently happens with baseball).

3. Allow everyone the OPTION to opt-out, but with a few different angles. If a kid opts out for the draft, they remain in school, progressing towards a degree (which is one of the few "good" things that the NCAA truly wants). If a kid opts out for the season, they get a 1-year "counter exemption" for the 2021-2022 season. If ANY, and I mean ANY, kid transfers, the school gets an IC back that can be used ON A TRANSFER (no, the Gaytors can't sign 40 freshmen by pushing out 15 kids to the portal).

Just get it done.

Just curious tho, aside from anything special, the regular waiver would still work for teams that have space.

Was Jaiden Francois granted a waiver? One would assume he will be if he hasn't already. The fact that Lingard and JT Daniels got waivers for no reason would support a kid coming home from comic receiving a waiver.

So maybe there is no special changes, but there still might be an increase in transfers.

Keyshawn Green to FSU
Fleming to UCF
Etc.

Yes, completely correct. If you have an IC slot (25 rule), if you have a counter left (85 rule), and you get a waiver, you can absolutely add a kid now.

I'm not sure if Francois has received a waiver yet (and I highly doubt it, he JUST picked UCF). Lingard and Daniels transferred a while ago, not sure what their applications included. As we now know, Lingard's dad is very sick. Miami fans can knock him for not doing a lot at UM and/or leaving UM, but ON PAPER, I could see why the NCAA approved a waiver for Lingard. I don't know as much about Daniels.

We're really in uncharted territory here. That's why I'm confused by dudes who are CERTAIN that we're going to be able to take a ****e-ton of transfers.

Remember, the NCAA could have passed the "one-time-only everyone-gets-a-waiver rule" back in April (during Covid), but they tabled it for a year. So I just don't seen the NCAA suddenly turning into a Rapid Response Unit, just because WE want/need them to do so.

Advertisement
Hood is obvious but it's time to get in touch with players committed to these schools are in these footprints. If we continue with football, it's a huge recruiting boom. Who is out there that is realistic and makes sense?
Lmao sooo we taking 35 kids...ok. Yeah I’m cool with it. Let’s put some on track, tennis and water polo scollies

Only grad transfer's will get immediate eligibility. NCAA won't Grant anyone a waiver who transfer's because of the cancellation

If that's true, and it might be, it's all the more reason NCAA players need a players union. Because blocking their ability to transfer and play right away is just wrong.

It's up to the schools and conferences to choose whether to play this year. Nobody can blame them for making whatever decision they think is best. But at the same time, it's the player's right to choose to attend a school that IS choosing to play football this year.

If that's true, and it might be, it's all the more reason NCAA players need a players union. Because blocking their ability to transfer and play right away is just wrong.

It's up to the schools and conferences to choose whether to play this year. Nobody can blame them for making whatever decision they think is best. But at the same time, it's the player's right to choose to attend a school that IS choosing to play football this year.

Again, nobody is blocking their ability to transfer and play right away.

However, the NCAA does restrict the ability to transfer, GET A SCHOLARSHIP, and play right away.

The LOI is a contract. I'd like to see some rule changes, but we just need to be honest about what is going on here.

Advertisement
Again, nobody is blocking their ability to transfer and play right away.

However, the NCAA does restrict the ability to transfer, GET A SCHOLARSHIP, and play right away.

The LOI is a contract. I'd like to see some rule changes, but we just need to be honest about what is going on here.

Well I'm no expert, but that just seems wrong to me. It's a contract.... sure.... but isn't the contract to play football?

Look at it this way. If you buy a seat on an airplane, that's a contract... a sales contract. But that doesn't stop the airlines from re-selling your seat if you don't show up.

If the schools aren't going to "show up" and play, then at least in my opinion, the athletes should be free to peddle their services elsewhere.

But again... no expert.

I think this is more likely to cause “verbal commits” to change their minds than it is to cause large numbers of transfers of players who have already been on campus. The rules are well-set out above. But, I have little doubt that schools in the SEC and the ACC will push out every 3 star commit they need to to sign 5 and high 4 star guys........

Well I'm no expert, but that just seems wrong to me. It's a contract.... sure.... but isn't the contract to play football?

Look at it this way. If you buy a seat on an airplane, that's a contract... a sales contract. But that doesn't stop the airlines from re-selling your seat if you don't show up.

If the schools aren't going to "show up" and play, then at least in my opinion, the athletes should be free to peddle their services elsewhere.

But again... no expert.

No, it's not a contract to play football. If that was true...THEY WOULD BE PAYING THE PLAYERS, and the NCAA would never allow THAT interpretation to make it into the legal system.

Remember, even after the LOI is signed, there is no guarantee that the player can play. That is a decision by the coaches. If a player isn't good enough, he sits on the bench. The player is free to transfer, subject to LOI and NCAA limitations.

Again, I'm not saying that I love these rules, I'm just trying to let you know why "unlimited transferring" cannot and will not happen under the CURRENT rules. If the rules change, then everything changes.

I think this is more likely to cause “verbal commits” to change their minds than it is to cause large numbers of transfers of players who have already been on campus. The rules are well-set out above. But, I have little doubt that schools in the SEC and the ACC will push out every 3 star commit they need to to sign 5 and high 4 star guys........

I agree on the "verbal commits" issue.

And the NCAA would obviously be concerned about the latter issue.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back