R.J. McIntosh looking to build on breakout season

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
IMG_0729.jpg

It was a breakout season for Miami defensive tackles R.J. McIntosh and Kendrick Norton last year, and both spoke to the media today.

McIntosh said he’s watched a ton of film from last season and sees room for improvement.

“I’ve seen some things that I can do better,” he said. “I want to be able to use my hands better and get stronger – so those are two things I’m really working on. I always want to have a motor to the ball.”

McIntosh says he’s now weighing 295 pounds, adding 7 since the end of last season.

“The coaches tell us not to go off last year – that we don't have a job right now. Younger guys could come in and take our spot, so I don’t want to be comfortable because of last year,” he said.

Sophomore lineman Patrick Bethel was working as a defensive tackle on the first day of spring practice, and he has been trying to soak up knowledge from McIntosh.

“He’s been asking me about the inside plays and how to take on double teams and blocks and all that. I think he’s going to be a big help and he’ll get it quickly because he’s coachable,” McIntosh said.

Advertisement
Good that he is adding weight. Should be a solid 300 by fall camp. Norton is up to 312 now and they will now be physically looking like nfl DTs.

What an incredible pair of future NFL DTs we will be privileged to watch next year. Not to mention an overall outstanding DL and front 7.

Can't. *******. Wait.

Hope both will stay for what could be a big year for Miami in 2018.

Hope both have a big year in helping Miami have a big year in 2017 and both get drafted in the first 3 rounds in 2018. Stack, crack, reload.

tumblr_m6099e9Jzw1rqkpceo1_500.gif

Advertisement
What an incredible pair of future NFL DTs we will be privileged to watch next year. Not to mention an overall outstanding DL and front 7.

Can't. ****ing. Wait.

Still hate to lose Jenkins, I know he was a f' up, but kid made plays when he was in there. To me he was our 3rd best DT and it sucks not having that quality depth

Can't. ****ing. Wait.

Still hate to lose Jenkins, I know he was a f' up, but kid made plays when he was in there. To me he was our 3rd best DT and it sucks not having that quality depth
It sucks, but it could be at a more vulnerable spot. Assuming Willis keeps his life together, Moten and Willis are solid backups. Martin also needs to show a couple flashes, as he will be depended on the following year.

Hope both have a big year in helping Miami have a big year in 2017 and both get drafted in the first 3 rounds in 2018. Stack, crack, reload.

View attachment 43690

You're hoping UM players leave early turning a position of ultimate strength into a position of weakness? Makes sense.

Advertisement

View attachment 43690

You're hoping UM players leave early turning a position of ultimate strength into a position of weakness? Makes sense.

Yeah I don't think we are quite there yet where we are hoping guys are 3 and outs. But we definitely are getting there on the DL. And after this recruiting class, might be there at DB and WR.

View attachment 43690

View attachment 43704 Weakness?

He'd be a true freshman. If 2 of our DTs leave early it would not be good for us at all. Best case scenario it would be Mcintosh and Willis leaving early. But if all of them leave, it's not going to be too good....however, having coach kul, and Diaz's scheme will definitely help.

better start preparing for Norton, RJ and Willis to all be gone after this season...Norton and RJ will just dominate. Willis because he's a knucklehead but will show enough ability that NFL scouts will want him...

It would be unusual to lose 3 underclassmen Dts to the NFL in one season.

Bama, Clemson, FSU have been loaded up front past 3-5 years, and they never lose 2 much less 3 underclass DTs in one season.

Advertisement

View attachment 43690

As opposed to...? What? Hoping they get hurt or just don't play well this year just so we can hang on tight like a blanky? The guys are studs and have been playing like it since the day they stepped on campus. Yes, I hope they have badass years and go get their money so that Kool can bring on the next wave of savages. What could possibly be better for the program? I can't believe the fear that remains. In Kool I trust. The beasts will be there when the time comes, and what could possibly help more in recruiting the elite of the elite than having turned Golden's leftovers into first round studs in just two years?

C'mon man, shoot for the stars. Even if you fall short you still reach the moon. We don't need to be waitin for two years down the road anymore. The future for this program is RIGHT NOW.

View attachment 43690

He'd be a true freshman. If 2 of our DTs leave early it would not be good for us at all. Best case scenario it would be Mcintosh and Willis leaving early. But if all of them leave, it's not going to be too good....however, having coach kul, and Diaz's scheme will definitely help.

Ford, Bethel, Silvera. We will be fine. Let's root for the guys to crush it this year and worry about two years from now later. That's Kool's job. I can sleep just fine at night with that knowledge.

View attachment 43690

Ford, Bethel, Silvera. We will be fine. Let's root for the guys to crush it this year and worry about two years from now later. That's Kool's job. I can sleep just fine at night with that knowledge.

You just listed 3 players who haven't even really played or just straight up haven't played at all. Yes I think we will be fine, but don't be ridiculous and act like Silvera as a true freshman is going to perform just as well as Norton is.

If all 3 of them left which I really doubt happens, that would be a major loss.

Advertisement

View attachment 43690

As opposed to...? What? Hoping they get hurt or just don't play well this year just so we can hang on tight like a blanky? The guys are studs and have been playing like it since the day they stepped on campus. Yes, I hope they have badass years and go get their money so that Kool can bring on the next wave of savages. What could possibly be better for the program? I can't believe the fear that remains. In Kool I trust. The beasts will be there when the time comes, and what could possibly help more in recruiting the elite of the elite than having turned Golden's leftovers into first round studs in just two years?

C'mon man, shoot for the stars. Even if you fall short you still reach the moon. We don't need to be waitin for two years down the road anymore. The future for this program is RIGHT NOW.

As opposed to hoping they stay at UM and win here. I'm a UM fan.

Can't. ****ing. Wait.

What a fkin dline man with depth....just punt it on first down and let them work

Kendrick Norton and RJ McIntosh are 1st round talents at DT.

Chad Thomas and Gerald Willis both have 1st round potential, elite level talent.

Joseph Jackson is a freak with 1st round potential as well as an underclassment

Best starting DLINE in the ACC hands down... best front 7 in the country hands down!!! :rickflair2:

Kendrick Norton and RJ McIntosh are 1st round talents at DT.

Chad Thomas and Gerald Willis both have 1st round potential, elite level talent.

Joseph Jackson is a freak with 1st round potential as well as an underclassment

Best starting DLINE in the ACC hands down... best front 7 in the country hands down!!! :rickflair2:

Disagree. They have to produce. They havent proven to be the best d-line.

Advertisement
Back