R.I.P. Edwin Pope

Advertisement
RIP. He was a big mentor to Le Batard (whether you like or hate him). I'm sure Dan will have a great column memorializing a sports writing legend

So many stories he was there for through the years. True newsman, old school, fair, and impartial. They're a dying breed and his / their journalism is missed.

Advertisement
My favorite line of his from a story where he mentioned the Orange Bowl venue...."it might be a dump but it's OUR dump".

Advertisement
He was terrific, especially during the Dolphins' meteoric rise to prominence in the early '70s. Developed a close bond with many players especially Bob Griese, yet maintained balance during his columns.

Younger fans might not realize that in those days the morning paper and particularly the local columnist largely dictated how the previous day's game was remembered. In Miami the Herald and afternoon Miami News had sports sections with different styles and perspectives. Very interesting how the focus could shift within a few hours. It was friendly competition, especially after they shared the same building. Edwin Pope always had more of a folksy style than the News, which got more analytical toward game strategy and also the business side of sports.

Twenty years ago Pope wrote a long column warning the young Tiger Woods that he was doing himself absolutely no favor by being antagonistic toward the sporting press and avoiding access. How true that was. Tiger was unbelievably clueless. Those sportswriters and particularly the major columnists are pampered middle aged/old men who mostly want a free meal and a few quotes to get their stories going. They want to cherish the premier athlete, not condemn them. Only when the athlete is so moronic that he turns on the press does that athlete risk coverage that is unflattering and potentially damaging. Phil Mickelson has not been as dominant a golfer as Tiger Woods, not even close, but Mickelson is far better positioned in public trust and loyalty going forward than Tiger ever will be. That equates to opportunities like commercials and everything else. Arnold Palmer was one of the highest paid athletes in the world well into his 80s due to how he played the game off the course. Mickelson understood the Palmer route. He'll be in the public eye for decades in those type of trusting commercials.

Advertisement
To be fair, Dooger...Tiger has proven to be rather clueless despite sage advice from the best to ever lace'em up from several arenas of sport and entertainment for years. When you have Michael Jordan trying to take you under his wing to teach you how to be a complete scum bag but still be adored by the public and you ignore it...you already lost. This was right around the same time as that Pope article, too. Everyone saw that **** coming.

StarTrekTheOriginalSeriesHesDeadJim.gif

Great guy, but he tried to stick his tongue up my *** once while I was getting fitted for a suit at Austin Burke. He snuck into the room tongue-first and just went right in.

Advertisement
Who was the sports writer in the 50's & early 60's named Jack and had one arm? I am getting old and CRS.

Who was the sports writer in the 50's & early 60's named Jack and had one arm? I am getting old and CRS.
The only writers I remember from that time are Luther Evans and Jimmy Burns. Jack Cummings did the sports on ch 4, I think. Also at that time Clure Mosher and Steve Ellis did TV sports.

Advertisement
Back