Quick Question

Consigliere

All-American
This is just a hypothetical. If by somehow Burnett is healthy and ready to play February 1st, do you redshirt him?

Advertisement
This is just a hypothetical. If by somehow Burnett is healthy and ready to play February 1st, do you redshirt him?

That's going to depend on where we are in the season, obviously. Based on what we've seen so far, the answer is yes.

Josh,

Based on how things are going, assuming he is healthy when he returned, I would take him in a second on February 1st.

1. We need more scoring and we need him to get ready for next year.

2. The season is not over at that point, there is still 11 games (10 in conference) and a lot left in the season.

3. Saving him for the 2017-18 season seems pretty stupid IMO.

That's going to depend on where we are in the season, obviously. Based on what we've seen so far, the answer is yes.

Josh,

Based on how things are going, assuming he is healthy when he returned, I would take him in a second on February 1st.

1. We need more scoring and we need him to get ready for next year.

2. The season is not over at that point, there is still 11 games (10 in conference) and a lot left in the season.

3. Saving him for the 2017-18 season seems pretty stupid IMO.

My thinking was two-fold.

1. If he's "somehow" healthy from an injury that we expected him to redshirt from, I'd imagine that he is more susceptible to re-injuring the wrist which could affect his development and availability for next year.

2. Sitting out gives him another year's separation from Angel and Sheldon. There is otherwise a possibility that Burnett would never start a game until his senior year.

(I think the first one is a far more compelling reason than the second).

I think that you think hard about it if we're not as historically awful as we look now, and we're in striking distance of the NIT or even the CBI - because getting extra games for the guys who will be back next year (Manu, Tonye, Kelly, Reed) would be important. This IS a team with talent, albeit undeveloped talent and mismatched pieces in some cases, and every little bit of experience will help next year.

My thinking was two-fold.

1. If he's "somehow" healthy from an injury that we expected him to redshirt from, I'd imagine that he is more susceptible to re-injuring the wrist which could affect his development and availability for next year.

2. Sitting out gives him another year's separation from Angel and Sheldon. There is otherwise a possibility that Burnett would never start a game until his senior year.

(I think the first one is a far more compelling reason than the second).

I think that you think hard about it if we're not as historically awful as we look now, and we're in striking distance of the NIT or even the CBI - because getting extra games for the guys who will be back next year (Manu, Tonye, Kelly, Reed) would be important. This IS a team with talent, albeit undeveloped talent and mismatched pieces in some cases, and every little bit of experience will help next year.

My hypo stated that he was healthy so let's assume no risk of injury.

If the only way Burnett gets on the court is his senior year (remember he preped), then he might not be that good and by that time there could be someone else we have (remember that is 4 years from now).

I don't care at all about NIT or CBI, I only care about getting to the NCAA Tourney. While I don't think we would get there with him this year, I want him to play for the benefits I listed above.

If Burnett is healthy and he can contribute (Feb 1st), I would play him now.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Play him. What's there to lose? And this team will need him for depth later on in the season

My hypo stated that he was healthy so let's assume no risk of injury.

If the only way Burnett gets on the court is his senior year (remember he preped), then he might not be that good and by that time there could be someone else we have (remember that is 4 years from now).

I don't care at all about NIT or CBI, I only care about getting to the NCAA Tourney. While I don't think we would get there with him this year, I want him to play for the benefits I listed above.

If Burnett is healthy and he can contribute (Feb 1st), I would play him now.

Well, I have a hard time with the concept of a hypothetical where we rush someone back from a broken bone and there's no increased chance of rebreaking the bone...but if that's what we're doing, then my answer is still the same.

I wasn't saying that the only gets onto the court his senior year - but he isn't a full-time starter until his senior year with Rodriguez/McClellan for the next two years. I'm not sure that I'm willing to sacrifice a full year of his talent for 10 or 11 games which you admit don't matter much.

(And I don't care about those tournaments either - I don't want us hanging banners or anything - but I would love for these players to get further developmental opportunities, and postseason play of any sort will extend the season.)

I asked that question more of "if we are playing better than expected could we decide to bring him back for the second half of league play" and the basic response was you can't do that to the kid cause if he tries and it doesn't go well he will lose the year versus letting him fully heal and come back 100% next year

Advertisement
I believe so. If, somehow he is ready to go the NBA, he will go just like Larkin regardless of what year or class he may be.

Worst thing that could happen is we get for him an extra year. Hypothetically, he would be a senior along with 2014 class, which is respectable even without Rodriguez/McClellan. It's really to early and pointless to guess that far into the future.

About this whole playing well notion towards the end of the year. I think somewhere around 4 ACC wins right now is the goal. I'd actually be pretty happy about that. Not sure where most of this optimism is coming from, we suck.

Advertisement
He's already gone prep for a year. Now red shirting, does anybody think **** stay at UM until he is 24?

That's why you play him right away. He's skilled enough and with him, Lecomte and Rodriguez next year that back court will be SCARY

I believe so. If, somehow he is ready to go the NBA, he will go just like Larkin regardless of what year or class he may be.

Worst thing that could happen is we get for him an extra year. Hypothetically, he would be a senior along with 2014 class, which is respectable even without Rodriguez/McClellan. It's really to early and pointless to guess that far into the future.

Those are my thoughts.

He's already gone prep for a year. Now red shirting, does anybody think **** stay at UM until he is 24?

Correct. I think we need him this year so if there is no risk and he recovers, I would get him out there if he was healthy on Feb 1st.

Advertisement

Correct. I think we need him this year so if there is no risk and he recovers, I would get him out there if he was healthy on Feb 1st.

Agreed. Take advantage of his talent while you can.

Only way you don't play him is if his injury doesn't allow him to stay in shape or keep up with his skills. If he is in terrible shape and not sharp, then I agree don't bring him back to get injured or maybe hurt his confidence

Hes a combo guard. So its certainly possible he stays all for years

Regardless he is out for the year so this is a moot point

Hes a combo guard. So its certainly possible he stays all for years

Regardless he is out for the year so this is a moot point

And wrist injuries are terrible for basketball players. Especially ones who depends on their shot and ball handling. 14-15 we are back in the tourney. Just have to ride it out this season

Advertisement
Back