Quick Defensive Clinic

Astcloud11

Senior
Premium
Clinic Talk: terms and phrases for defensive football - State of The U

Subject:

When you're talking about defensive football the first thing you need to know is what defense is your school running? As 'Canes fans know, Mark D'Onofrio liked to run a vanilla 3-4 defense but Manny Diaz, per history and the spring game, will run a 4-3 and 4-2-5 mix that fits what many call "Miami talent," and will bring pressure sometimes at the risk of exposing holes in coverage. On Wednesday we will discuss Manny Diaz's defense and what I expect him to run at Miami against different looks.

Advertisement
Same guy from OP article
[video=youtube_share;2nPlTXxVCbg]http://youtu.be/2nPlTXxVCbg[/video]

I know one thing. If their expecting a top 10 d- line rotation we don't need to see a bunch of blitzing. If we do it better be highly successful or I'm really going to question Diaz coaching ability

Advertisement
I know one thing. If their expecting a top 10 d- line rotation we don't need to see a bunch of blitzing. If we do it better be highly successful or I'm really going to question Diaz coaching ability

"we don't need to see a bunch of blitzing"
Well we will, so go ahead and question Diaz's coaching ability all you want. I'm going to sit back and enjoy finally attacking the offense for a change, regardless what the results end up being.

Well we will, so go ahead and question Diaz's coaching ability all you want. I'm going to sit back and enjoy finally attacking the offense for a change, regardless what the results end up being.

You'd enjoy badly timed blitzes and turning guys loose for easy catch and runs just for the sake of being aggressive?

You'd enjoy badly timed blitzes and turning guys loose for easy catch and runs just for the sake of being aggressive?

I'd take giving up a few plays a game due to being over aggressive for the positives that come with it, like sacks/tfl's/turnovers, ESPECIALLY after dealing with NoD whose D basically was holding the offenses hand and walking them to the endzone.
Why don't you wait to see how many big plays this D will give up, if it even gives up many at all.

Advertisement

I'd take giving up a few plays a game due to being over aggressive for the positives that come with it, like sacks/tfl's/turnovers, ESPECIALLY after dealing with NoD whose D basically was holding the offenses hand and walking them to the endzone.
Why don't you wait to see how many big plays this D will give up, if it even gives up many at all.

Much as it PAINS ME, I have to admit I can see Franchise's point about Diaz's defense being susceptible to big plays by high powered offenses. Case in point the 2015 Miss St vs Ole Miss game.

[video=youtube_share;1XOPTF98cRM]http://youtu.be/1XOPTF98cRM[/video]

Much as it PAINS ME, I have to admit I can see Franchise's point about Diaz's defense being susceptible to big plays by high powered offenses. Case in point the 2015 Miss St vs Ole Miss game.

[video=youtube_share;1XOPTF98cRM]http://youtu.be/1XOPTF98cRM[/video]

I fully understand it can be susceptible to big plays. The question is will the positives outweigh the negatives? It would be ridiculous to expect any defense to complete take away all big plays. I think that this scheme will be good for us.

And like I said, I would prefer a Diaz D that ranked last over anything we've seen in the past 5 yrs. however I think this yr we will probably finish around 30 in total D, but ideally top 10 in sacks, tfls, and turnovers.

Having a top 10-d-line rotation would negate the need to create pressure off the blitz. Leaving more people to cover which would equal a pretty **** good defense.

One of the best Examples is the NYG 2008 super bowl run. I don't think they blitzed more than 10 times total in that playoff run. The Dline just dominated.

Like franchise said, why would you want poorly calculated blitzes? Especially if you have a D-line capable of getting it done without help?

If Diaz is smart he will blitz the run and let Kool's troops dominate the passing game. The issue is base coverage. **** or MOFC.

Advertisement
"I don't mind giving up big plays as long as we attack."

SMH. Fvck it. Let's run Cover-0 and send the house every play. LOL

Diaz' scheme should get a huge boost from having Kuligowski coaching the DL. If the offense knows you have to blitz to get pressure, it makes it easier to hit the defense for a big play, but blitzing unexpectedly, and disguising it well, are usually a lot more effective.

Advertisement
Back