Quick Breakdown on Unbalanced formation

skyman

Senior
Saw this and shows how in first half unbalanced set was used to see how UL would react and even though some of the plays didnt produce big plays, in second half they produced all our home run plays. (brevin td was also unbalanced but not in breakdown) 3 Tds out of that set.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Man, Louisville stacked the box so bad. They were so scared of us running the ball on them, they forgot our QB can throw.
I think it was pick your poison, they want to take away the run based on what we showed game 1. So game plan is load box and see if King can beat you with his arm. We will see this tactic multiple times this year, Atleast from FSU, Clemson, and Pitt. They have personnel on back end to do it, thats why having WR who can win one on one battles is so important

Saw this and shows how in first half unbalanced set was used to see how UL would react and even though some of the plays didnt produce big plays, in second half they produced all our home run plays. (brevin td was also unbalanced but not in breakdown) 3 Tds out of that set.

Saw this pop up on twitter and it’s great. I tend to forget that OC’s purposely accept a play not working simply to see how the defense reacts. I want every play to work as a fan but forget that it’s like a pitcher in baseball setting up for something later in the game.

I saw this around the same time last night that they were talking about Gruden running some plays just to see how the saints would line up even though he knew the original plays weren’t going to work. Louis Reddick who is really smart and good at breaking stuff down pointed it out. He said watch” Gruden is setting them up to hit them later in the game off this formation”.

nice to see someone actually point it out for us who are just common fans and miss these things. It felt like Lashlee was in control all night. Excited to see how this offense expands as the season goes on.

We haven’t seen King keep it very much on the read option, zero RB screens, zero jet sweeps... he is clearly only using what he has to so far and will keep certain plays in his bag till needed.

Advertisement
Louisville is a dumpster fire on defense.

Not taking anything away from our offense though. They did their thing!
I hope people read your second line ... it's definitely a misalignment with the defense, however it takes a season coordinator to exploit not once, not twice, but three times ... in the same half ... with three different plays

I noticed a slant in the first half from that trips side (can’t remember if we were actually in trips). Louisville jumped the route but I thought to myself, that looks like a setup play just because it seemed like we could stem a lot of things off of it. I haven’t noticed something like that with our other ocs and would be interest to know what the other chess games Lashlee played were.

Advertisement
Man, Louisville stacked the box so bad. They were so scared of us running the ball on them, they forgot our QB can throw.

Agree - they seemed way too worried about King running, to the exclusion of all else. Weird plan on their part. Yeah, those plays are rough when he runs 10 yards for a first down, but **** I'd rather have that than 2 plays, 150 yards, 2 TDs.

Louisville is a dumpster fire on defense.

Not taking anything away from our offense though. They did their thing!
This, that's why I'm a little hesitant to heap tons of praise on our offense yet. Let's see us execute this week against a much better defense in FSU

Saw this pop up on twitter and it’s great. I tend to forget that OC’s purposely accept a play not working simply to see how the defense reacts. I want every play to work as a fan but forget that it’s like a pitcher in baseball setting up for something later in the game.

I saw this around the same time last night that they were talking about Gruden running some plays just to see how the saints would line up even though he knew the original plays weren’t going to work. Louis Reddick who is really smart and good at breaking stuff down pointed it out. He said watch” Gruden is setting them up to hit them later in the game off this formation”.

nice to see someone actually point it out for us who are just common fans and miss these things. It felt like Lashlee was in control all night. Excited to see how this offense expands as the season goes on.

We haven’t seen King keep it very much on the read option, zero RB screens, zero jet sweeps... he is clearly only using what he has to so far and will keep certain plays in his bag till needed.
Lashlee being a Malzahn disciple will run plays, have counters then have counters for the counters all while at a fast pace which make you either simplify your defense or risk confusing your players..

Will say defenses have gotten better at the read stuff and from looks of it our oline missed out on a lot of reps to clean up blocking, we havent put hat on hat on counter plays. It also looks like defenses are keyed on king so keeper isnt always there, as Cam continues to go off and earn the respect of defenses I think things will loosen up for king. The restraint plays like bubble screens are usually open also for 10 yard, so even tho keyed on King they are picking their poison

Advertisement
I knew When we ran qb power at the end of the first half on that drive near midfield where we didn’t get much yards with king we were setting some stuff up later in the game. That’s how lashlee operates

I couldnt believe we ran GT counter, that is some OU Riley **** right there, we didnt block it up right but the possibilities oh my.. Enjoy Lashlee while we can, dude is gonna be on fast track
Agree on that fastrack. My only hope is that he won't want to have two spots with 1 year each and we get him through setting up TVD in 2021. I know that if he does take us far this year we may lose him anyways.

Advertisement
Back