Question re: Scholarship Sanctions

tsimonitis

Senior
Premium
In the Ferman article, Golden says that we started the season at 75 scholarship players, 10 less than the max of 85. Since the punishment was 9 over three years, non-initial scholarships, does that mean that we can play at a full roster? Have we fulfilled our quota?

Advertisement
The most ideal situation was to take 3 ships over the next 3 years, equaling 9 ships total. However, it did not work out that way due to guys getting suspended, kicked out and/or transferring unexpectedly (Blue, Figs, Olsen most notably)...

From my understanding, we can not use all 9 in one year. Therefore, if we had 75 players in 2014, 7 ships must have went towards our probation and 3 were just unused, but available. As long as we take at least 1 ship away for next 2 seasons (2015, 2016) we would have served our probation. So in 2015 and 2016, we could have a total of 84 players with ships. 2017 is the "cloud free" year where we could have 85 total players.

Last edited:
The most ideal situation was to take 3 ships over the next 3 years, equaling 9 ships total. However, it did not work out that way due to guys getting suspended, kicked out and/or transferring unexpectedly (Blue, Figs, Olsen most notably)...

From my understanding, we can not use all 9 in one year. Therefore, if we had 75 players in 2014, 7 ships must have went towards our probation and 3 were just unused, but available. As long as we take at least 1 ship away for next 2 seasons (2015, 2016) we would have served our probation. So in 2015 and 2016, we could have a total of 84 players with ships. 2017 is the "cloud free" year where we could have 85 total players.

This is correct from my understanding.

Goes to show just another huge flaw in Golden, terrible roster management.

Will we even sign enough kids to get back to 84? If we do, how many end up being guys who are not Miami caliber that are thrown scholarships to fill roster spots.

Advertisement
they're not even sanctions. We're going to have full classes the next few years.

they're not even sanctions. We're going to have full classes the next few years.

not true we can only sign 24 this year and next

thats is only 96% full. These sancations are devasting and we need to give Al ten more years. Please stop with "the noise" and support the U like real fans.

Will we even sign enough kids to get back to 84? If we do, how many end up being guys who are not Miami caliber that are thrown scholarships to fill roster spots.

I take it that you don't like the 'Golden specials' that Al likes to serve. Lol.

I mentioned this some time back. Al constantly tries to flip the roster, but he can never do it correctly because guys keep transferring out or get kicked out, thus he takes more than a handful of reaches just to fill roster spots.

I don't have a problem with Al taking a 3 star players from New Jersey or Pennsylvania, but he tends to neglect the 3 star South Florida players too much. I'm not sure if it is Al's doing or the administration's, but whoever is rejecting local talent, needs to quit it.

Our yearly limit of 25 is unaffected. The sanctions were only for the overall cap. That's not the way it's usually done, but that's the way the NCAA did it for us. In effect, it was no sanction since we never play at 85 anyway.

Advertisement
In the Ferman article, Golden says that we started the season at 75 scholarship players, 10 less than the max of 85. Since the punishment was 9 over three years, non-initial scholarships, does that mean that we can play at a full roster? Have we fulfilled our quota?

85-10=75
85-9=76
76-75=1

Somebody should call Orlando Alvarez. He could explain to the staff what numbers mean.

We'll never play with a full roster because this ****head cant evaluate and manage people well enough to stick at the university.

Advertisement

Say, me say many money say me say many many many.

0.jpg

People confuse this all the time - probation is a sanction separate from any other sanction. The scholarship restrictions have zero to do with probation. The actual sanction is

Reduction in Athletics Awards. The total number of athletically related
financial aid awards in football shall be reduced by a combined total of nine
during the 2014-15, 2015-16 and 2016-17 academic years. The institution shall
reduce the total number of athletics awards during each academic year. The
institution has the option of assigning the reductions during those years.

As someone else noted, there is no scholarship restriction on initial counters. The restriction only affects the 85 total scholarship allotment, not the 25 initial counter allotment.

Dude has never been close to 85 since he's been here anyway. He either strikes out on NSD (too many to count), dudes end up hating him and his program and leave (Hester) or he pushes out dead weight that he recruited and had no business being here to begin with (Briscoe, Ivery, Dillard and maaany others) . He is more of a sanction himself than what the NCAA slapped us with. F this dude and the people that employ him

Advertisement
Negative threads like this one are what is costing us recruits. Stop with the negativity cloud and support your coaches like REAL fans!

I just got this clarified earlier today. Dapper and LUcanes have it correct. The 25 annual number is not affected, only the 85.

The way it was interpreted to me was - UM must be at least one scholarship short in 2014, 2015 and 2016. So even though al only carried 75 this season, only a max of 7 can be counted against the total scholarship reduction sanction. Going forward, we can be at 84 for the next two seasons.

As for backfilling the missing ships, I believe we have 4 commits coming in this month who can count against last year's numbers. So al should be able to over sign by at least four next month.

Really our scholarship sanctions are not much of a sanction at all. Basically you have to sit at 82 for 3 years. We haven't been at 82 in a long *** time, going back to Shannon without sanctions. Makes me sick he even mentions that. He just plays off of people's lack of understanding of how the "scholarship reductions" are actually affecting us. You reduce the 25 limit and you are dealing with sanctions. You push the roster number to 70 and you are dealing with sanctions. What we have is not a sanction.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back