Question re scholarship reductions

Don Caneleone

Junior
I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseam. But here goes. We lose 3 scholarships every year for a total of 9. Does that mean we play at 79 scholarships in '14, '15 and '16? Or does it mean we play at 79 in '14, 76 in '15 and 73 in '16?

Either way, F Nevin Shapiro!!! We won. You lost.

Advertisement
I was under the impression it means we play with 82 the first year then 79 then 76

We only have 75 on scholarship now right?

i thought it just meant, instead of being able to take 25 per class, we can only take 22?

Are we not already on scholarship reduction (self imposed) already, and does that affect the 9 over 3the years?

Advertisement
Your making this far more complicated than it should be. It means that starting in 2014 we can only have 82 scholarship players for 3 years. So in 2017 we can go back to 85.

We also have to account that we have already self impossed schollies the last year or two
so this may only last 1 year or 2

Either way we back baby lets...go...Nevin eat your heart out while in prison you tried
you failed and we still pressing on

Advertisement
We also have to account that we have already self impossed schollies the last year or two
so this may only last 1 year or 2

Either way we back baby lets...go...Nevin eat your heart out while in prison you tried
you failed and we still pressing on

We do not know how true that is. The punishment might not be retroactive. They may have only considered our self imposed scholarships and counted as time served. But we still have to fulfill the final sentence.

I'm thinking the total scholarship # is what's affected. Basically, we can't go over 82 for the next 3 years. So when it comes to how many kids we can sign, we have to do the math to get to 82, not 85 like normal. The number of kids we can sign will still fluctuate with graduation and early departures to the NFL.

In a nutshell--I think it's 3 off the 85 per year, not a cumulative 3 each year which would put us at 76 scholarship roster players by 2016.

I'm thinking the total scholarship # is what's affected. Basically, we can't go over 82 for the next 3 years. So when it comes to how many kids we can sign, we have to do the math to get to 82, not 85 like normal. The number of kids we can sign will still fluctuate with graduation and early departures to the NFL.

In a nutshell--I think it's 3 off the 85 per year, not a cumulative 3 each year which would put us at 76 scholarship roster players by 2016.

That is what I said a few posts up. Good call.

Advertisement

That is what I said a few posts up. Good call.
Yep--I was typing that before your post. Sorry to repeat the point.

I was under the impression it means we play with 82 the first year then 79 then 76

We only have 75 on scholarship now right?

NO. that woule be 18 lost

the 85 man limit is capped at 82 for 3 years. so you can play with 82 for EACH of those 3 years

the 25 man limit may or may not be capped. i believe that OSU did not have the 25 man limit reduced. so they can sign 25 every year and cut down to 82 (which is hardly any penalty at all)

Guys, this is a really important question. There are different ways this can be applied, and different ways it HAS been applied. There are different types of scholarship probations.

There is the benign 3 per year that just affects the 85 cap, meaning you can sign what you want, you just cant go over 82.

Or there is the more common restrictions where its applied to class, where we would be limited to 22 instead of 25 per year. This would result in a MUCH greater loss. See USC, they had limits per year of 15, 17, etc. Capping the CLASSES at 22 would mean in the end we'd lose a lot more kids, and we'd end up way under 82 eventually. No more 28 kid classes or putting the EE kids back to the previous classes (except 2013) to make up for attrition.

We need to know this. Anyone?

Advertisement
546.gif

Advertisement
Back