question for the "scheme is the problem" camp..

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaU83

Senior
Which option would you take if it were possible to "trade" players or scheme...

Bama or LSU's players with D'Onof's scheme? Or Bama's or LSU's scheme with our players?

Advertisement
It's about philosophy. I'm sure Chevis and Smart would run their respective schemes if they were coaching UM's defense. Given the three schemes of Chevis, D'O and Smart, I would take Lsu's.

Put it like this if we had Bamas or Lsu's defensive coordinators I bet my dyck we wouldnt be 114th in total defense right now

Put it like this if we had Bamas or Lsu's defensive coordinators I bet my dyck we wouldnt be 114th in total defense right now

even with our current players? would 90th in total D be that much better?

for the record.. give me their horses with D'Onof's scheme...

Last edited:
Advertisement

even with our current players? would 90th in total D be that much better?

for the record.. give me their horses with D'Onof's scheme...

We'd be probably middle of the road 50th 60th..and yes that is much better and all i ask with a young team

The only teams that Alabama gave up over 30 to Saban's first year were LSU (NC team) and Arkansas (the year they had McFadden and whats his name). Don't kid yourself, this D wouldn't be great but they would be a **** of a lot better than they currently are if Saban was running the show here.

That DT they had last year was a freshman baller and our guysneed time. Hope Bryant can save us. We dont havethe horses we need day one impact players alot of em.

Advertisement
I hate these type of questions. OF COURSE I WANT RAY LEWIS, ED REED, WARREN SAPP AND SEAN TAYLOR OVER OUR GUYS. That's not the point. Should our defensive scheme be able to cover any of our deficiencies is the question I have. Does miami have the 114th best talent in football? Is our scheme helping our defense? If not, what the fvck is the purpose of the d coordinator? We can't cover. We can't rush the passer. We can't stop the run. We are completely incompetent on defense and have been so for 14 games regardless of the talent on the field (see OV, Fortson, Ojomo, Spence all on NFL rosters)

Accept that to this point he has been bad. I'm willing to give him time to get his players, but the job of the coordinator is to cover up and scheme to benefit of the players and talent he has.

The only teams that Alabama gave up over 30 to Saban's first year were LSU (NC team) and Arkansas (the year they had McFadden and whats his name). Don't kid yourself, this D wouldn't be great but they would be a **** of a lot better than they currently are if Saban was running the show here.

Defensive ranks for Bama .... in 06.. 23 in total D 31 in Scoring D... Saban Arrives.. 31 in Total D 27th in scoring D ... so Saban wasn't good for any improvement over a decently good D he inherited.. his D gave up about 50 more yards per game and gave up 3 more points per game.. now imagine if he would have inherited a TERRIBLE Defense, results probably would be similar.

Advertisement

Defensive ranks for Bama .... in 06.. 23 in total D 31 in Scoring D... Saban Arrives.. 31 in Total D 27th in scoring D ... so Saban wasn't good for any improvement over a decently good D he inherited.. his D gave up about 50 more yards per game and gave up 3 more points per game.. now imagine if he would have inherited a TERRIBLE Defense, results probably would be similar.

Did donofrio inherent a Terrible defense?

I hate these type of questions. OF COURSE I WANT RAY LEWIS, ED REED, WARREN SAPP AND SEAN TAYLOR OVER OUR GUYS. That's not the point. Should our defensive scheme be able to cover any of our deficiencies is the question I have. Does miami have the 114th best talent in football? Is our scheme helping our defense? If not, what the fvck is the purpose of the d coordinator? We can't cover. We can't rush the passer. We can't stop the run. We are completely incompetent on defense and have been so for 14 games regardless of the talent on the field (see OV, Fortson, Ojomo, Spence all on NFL rosters)

Accept that to this point he has been bad. I'm willing to give him time to get his players, but the job of the coordinator is to cover up and scheme to benefit of the players and talent he has.

I would argue that we have one of, if not the worse DL in any BCS conference. Probably worse then a lot of mid-majors as well. That is where it all starts. The rest is just youth that looks a lot worse with the pathetic DL we are putting on the field this year.

i'm not saying he's been good, and the only reason for this question is for the "scheme" crowd to get a clue.. i don't care what scheme you run, if you don't have the horses you won't have success.. I did not give randy that same leeway because he had been here recruiting the D before he was head coach..

Advertisement

I would argue that we have one of, if not the worse DL in any BCS conference. Probably worse then a lot of mid-majors as well. That is where it all starts. The rest is just youth that looks a lot worse with the pathetic DL we are putting on the field this year.

I wholeheartedly reject this thinking. Chick, Pierre,smith and Shayon are NOT the worst dline in America. That is buffoonery

Probably not. It's a lot easier to take a terrible defense that is ranked near the bottom of the FBS and make them better than it is to take a good defense and make them even better.

Of course, I wouldn't expect you to know that, lrg.

The guy is one of the best college coaches of all time, and has an elite defense every year, yet you're trying to argue that the difference b/w him and D'onofrio/Golden is negligible.

It's just stupid. Have a real discussion, not some lame question to try and make a stupid point.

Did donofrio inherent a Terrible defense?

i would say no.. and that D he inherited, although it gave up more yards then randy's last D, gave up about the same amount of points.. now take into account that the D wasn't GREAT last year.. and we lost a good amount of contributors from that D and are playing a bunch of young guys.. the expectation that this D be better is not valid.

Probably not. It's a lot easier to take a terrible defense that is ranked near the bottom of the FBS and make them better than it is to take a good defense and make them even better.

Of course, I wouldn't expect you to know that, lrg.

while that may be true.. an "upgrade" in scheme made a decent D just a bit worse... but Saban did his thing and now his D runs ****e...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back