Question for the Rumph haters

Rumph is an excellent technical coach. You can question his recruiting ability but not his coaching. A few victories will take care of that. In fact all our coaches will become star recruiters with victories
Dee Delaney didn't improve. Same with Jhavonte Dean. Ivey looked like shlt last year. Bandy after 3yrs of coaching might not get drafted and had a very pedestrian junior year.

I'm not sure where the Rumph "can't recruit, but he's a **** good coach" myth came from. He's just as average as the rest of the defensive coaching staff when it comes to development.

Advertisement
Dee Delaney didn't improve. Same with Jhavonte Dean. Ivey looked like shlt last year. Bandy after 3yrs of coaching might not get drafted and had a very pedestrian junior year.

I'm not sure where the Rumph "can't recruit, but he's a **** good coach" myth came from. He's just as average as the rest of the defensive coaching staff when it comes to development.
Valid point re Dean and Dee and Ivey. Michael Jackson and Corn Elder are the banners for the other side though. Especially MJ.

He's an average coach.

We've lost out on a lot more corners than Surtain and Campbell since Rumph took over.
He is forced to pull last minute commits because our CB room is usually shambles. Take a look at this year. We have no veterans at corner. Blades and Ivey are still fairly young, Couch and Williams played very limited snaps last year, and then we have 2 true freshman. That is not a lot of corner depth which limits competition. Most good to great teams have minimum 8 corners. With the proliferation of spread offenses cornerbacks are the premium defensive position. You want numbers, depth, and talent there.

Valid point re Dean and Dee and Ivey. Michael Jackson and Corn Elder are the banners for the other side though. Especially MJ.
Elder was a top 200 recruit in the nation.

MJ was .88 on 247.

I get where you are coming from, but he didn't really make "chicken shlt into chicken salad" - both were quality recruits who ended up being 5th round picks. I'd say making these guys top 2-3 round picks would be a clearer sign of elite development.

Answers from Canes fans:

Philip Buchanon
Antrel Rolle
Bennie Blades
Brandon Merriweather
Kenny Phillips

And any other DB that was decent here who they want to be a DB coach until they're not EXACTLY what they expect and hate them.
Cis logic

" we just need to let ed reed coach DBs, could you imagine getting a visit from a legend as a recruit broooooo"

Advertisement

MJ was .88 on 247.

I get where you are coming from, but he didn't really make "chicken shlt into chicken salad" - both were quality recruits who ended up being 5th round picks. I'd say making these guys top 2-3 round picks would be a clearer sign of elite development.
Yeah, I hear you. I was just pointing out the 'other side' since you had specifically mentioned Dean, Delaney and Bandy. I'm not some raging Rumph homer, but the reality is that neither MJ or Elder had done much prior to their final year. Then both had sensational senior seasons. I don't think it's fair to bash Rumph for the fact Dean/Delaney/Bandy didn't improve much while at Miami, without giving Rumph credit for how MJ and Elder did. That's all.

MJ was .88 on 247.

Wasn’t Elder rated as a running back or athlete?

Rumph gets hate because he didn't deliver talent when he was at American. He gets hate for not delivering Campbell, Surtain and every other 5 star DB.

You could have the best DB coach in america down here and they would lose out too. Just like Coley was a recruiting G at FSU and UGA but was mortal here. He will look great at aTm too.

Everyone talks about bags and a winning culture as to why these dudes dip for the SEC top schools but Rumph is suppose to land these dudes over those obstacles because he simply should.

If this program starts winning and does what those SEC schools do. Then when Rumph chokes getting a 5 star guy. You have every right to talk down about him.

More is made about Rumph but little is said about the horrific LB recruiting. Recruiting slow *** dudes that can't stay healthy. Thank god Shaq never got hurt. He wasn't the greatest but could you imagine if he was out for any length of time. The brittle bunch would've been laid to dust within a few snaps.
Exactly.......we also haven't recruited well enough in the trenches to call out cb recruiting.... especially OL...

Advertisement

MJ was .88 on 247.

None of miamis players are becoming 2-3 round picks lately, not a problem exclusive to cbs

Last edited:
Rumph gets hate because he didn't deliver talent when he was at American. He gets hate for not delivering Campbell, Surtain and every other 5 star DB.

You could have the best DB coach in america down here and they would lose out too. Just like Coley was a recruiting G at FSU and UGA but was mortal here. He will look great at aTm too.

Everyone talks about bags and a winning culture as to why these dudes dip for the SEC top schools but Rumph is suppose to land these dudes over those obstacles because he simply should.

If this program starts winning and does what those SEC schools do. Then when Rumph chokes getting a 5 star guy. You have every right to talk down about him.

More is made about Rumph but little is said about the horrific LB recruiting. Recruiting slow *** dudes that can't stay healthy. Thank god Shaq never got hurt. He wasn't the greatest but could you imagine if he was out for any length of time. The brittle bunch would've been laid to dust within a few snaps.
Rumph gets hate because his first 2 recruiting class were bad which is still affecting the depth and talent at CB. He has not done enough his last 2 recruiting classes to combat the effects of his first 2 recruiting classes at all.

Well I mean he's not really available, but this definitely applies to him.

I'm sure the entire fanbase is going to hate Reed if we're not 27-0 next season. But hey, let's just hire a bunch of 'Canes greats as position coaches. Because everyone loves:

Randy Shannon
Art Kehoe
Mike Rumph
Mark Richt

And everyone else who stuck around The U long enough to be vilified for their efforts.

I would prefer to fire the cheerleader and let Reed coach the safeties

Advertisement
And now on top of it, you have an open coaching spot. You can either hire a dedicated special teams coach or - what I would do is have Coach Field handle ST’s and now you have 9 on field coaches and you savagely take the gaytor boogeyman, Ed Reed, out on the road into recruits’ homes.

“Hello 5 star DB and parents in Bluefield, WV.... Have you met Ed???”

Our alumni players are great resources. Manny can do it - he chooses not to. For all he’s done with the offense in the off-season, this defense was a house of cards last year. The tackling and basics were awful. I am hoping it changes but I don’t know how with the same exact staff.
data=nWxGrenGgiigFpbopNLBRlgz5EXUHUFfF1rkOKW0_74zKAq9YblMaPfct82g4CZ2vU5WAVtU-nuQVIxb4QQyPgXAP...png
Up vote for referencing Bluefield, WV

Advertisement
Cis logic

" we just need to let ed reed coach DBs, could you imagine getting a visit from a legend as a recruit broooooo"

Also CIS logic "We need to hire Highsmith! Can you imagine the clout a guy 18 year olds have never heard of will have with recruits!?"

Rumph gets hate because his first 2 recruiting class were bad which is still affecting the depth and talent at CB. He has not done enough his last 2 recruiting classes to combat the effects of his first 2 recruiting classes at all.
Exactly. It’s not missing on those guys. It’s getting caught with your **** in your hand when they dip.

We are thin at CB at Miami. Miami should never be thin at WR, CB, RB, or S.

Just as much as yours......least I am not stealing money like some of our corches

As an alum, mine definitely matters a little more. But I'm not stupid enough to voice mine regarding how Miami football should be run, because I know it's pointless. You don't.

Advertisement
Back