Question for the board (fired college coaches)

mafia

Recruit
Can someone provide a list of fired college coaches that have gone on to great success after being hired by another program? I'm having a hard time thinking of any single coach that was canned and found success again at the collegiate level. That's what scares me about Richt, Butch, Miles(if he would've been fired). The theory of one man's trash being another man's treasure might not work in theory for college programs and the type of program Miami wants to be again. My vote is for Mullen or Herman, with Mullen being my first choice.

Advertisement
Can someone provide a list of fired college coaches that have gone on to great success after being hired by another program? I'm having a hard time thinking of any single coach that was canned and found success again at the collegiate level. That's what scares me about Richt, Butch, Miles(if he would've been fired). The theory of one man's trash being another man's treasure might not work in theory for college programs and the type of program Miami wants to be again. My vote is for Mullen or Herman, with Mullen being my first choice.

Why they were fired matters more. Butch was fired for reasons unrelated to his coaching.

Why they were fired matters more. Butch was fired for reasons unrelated to his coaching.

This.
By the same token, not all successful coaches are the same.
"How and why" they won is equally as important as "how many" they won.
In hindsight, the former wasn't explored as much when Golden was hired.

Yes, we all well know he was fired for reasons outside of coaching, but he was still fired. Which coaches have found success again after being fired in the college game? I'm sure we can list a ton of scandals far worse than what happened at UNC and the head coach did not get fired.

Advertisement
1 coach in the last 25-30 years has won a NC after being fired from another college.

Gene Stalling at Alabama, he was fired from Texas A&M.

Lou Holtz was fired at Arkansas. Officially is was by mutual consent (that means he was fired). Then he stole the NC in 88 at Notre Shame.

Lou Holtz was fired at Arkansas. Officially is was by mutual consent (that means he was fired). Then he stole the NC in 88 at Notre Shame.

IT WASN"T a FUMBLE!!!! Ground can't cause a fumble! just sayin...

Forever hating Notre Dame!

Advertisement
Back to the OP's point....the lack of success of fired coaches in their next gig is very concerning.

There probably aren't many. HCs usually leave for better jobs when the timing is right. Once they reach their ceiling they stay put until they retired or are fired. I think the trend towards younger coaches may end up with a few career resurrections. Guys like Kiffin and Schiano are still young enough. Neither are likely the turn into elite coaches but can still be successful.

The ultimate measure of success is NCs but in reality a small number of programs legitimately have that opportunity. Gary Pinkel, Mark Richt, Mike Bellotti, Kirk Ferentz, and many others never won a NC they have successful careers.

Advertisement
Back