Question for lawyers

Consig - I handle white collar and securities (SEC) defense, so you may be correct. If it survives a motion to dismiss on the standing issue, it would be pretty interesting (imagine what discovery would turn up - emails between BOT and admin, etc). In any case, filing the case itself would likely bring an unbelievable amount of attention to the issues. Imagine the factual section of the complaint?

The facts would demonstrate how illogical, irrational and irresponsible the Axis Powers (admin, BOT and Shalala) acted. It would be very embarrassing for the Axis Powers and impossible to defend (the facts). There is no basis or argument to keep Al. The evidence would be overwhelming as well.

http://digitalcommons.wcl.american.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1278&context=aulr

I thought some things in here were interesting.

Advertisement
If you want actual advice, please provide your billing information and any potential conflict of interests.

Consig - I handle white collar and securities (SEC) defense, so you may be correct. If it survives a motion to dismiss on the standing issue, it would be pretty interesting (imagine what discovery would turn up - emails between BOT and admin, etc). In any case, filing the case itself would likely bring an unbelievable amount of attention to the issues. Imagine the factual section of the complaint?

What would be the specific injury suffered? It can't be a general wrong or random fan butthurt. And Board of Trustees enjoy the protections of business judgment as any other board.

Breach of FD in failing to manage the investments and assets of the University.

Breach of FD for failure to manage and supervise the University's employees (Al Golden and AD).

What you have is waste and inefficiency, none of the decisions are in the best interest of the University.

Advertisement

What would be the specific injury suffered? It can't be a general wrong or random fan butthurt. And Board of Trustees enjoy the protections of business judgment as any other board.

Rising buffet prices in the Coral Gables area.

Would not likely make any difference, but Randy Shannon wanted Shapiro far away from the team, far away from his players, and far away from the program.

Yet somehow, he was overridden, and we can see Shapiro attending many team events, including the notorious photograph of Shapiro running out of the CO2 fog with the team. Now I gotta say - that takes some pull.

So someone in the Administration was responsible for his very exposure to the team, leading to the entire NCAA fiasco. Who? Shalala. And the Board did NOT remove her for facilitating this NCAA violation-committing shrimp, overriding Coach Shannon's desire to insulate his team from this guy.

This lack of judgement cost UM a ton of money. This forcing Shapiro on the team cost us tons of money in NCAA investigations. And Shalala is STILL here, making bad judgements, retaining a white coach for the exact same record the black coach - who tried to protect his team and the U from Shapiro - was fired for.

Something smells to high heaven.

Too bad an attorney couldn't pull their chain. Just may open the drain.

Advertisement
What if the BOT was sued for breach of fiduciary duties?

Even if frivolous, the suit itself would grab headlines and humiliate the University. The lawsuit would provide a forum to publish EVERYTHING (facts, stats, subjective opinions) in the Complaint and it would be public record that could/would be published in every media outlet.

Don't the Board of Trustees have fiduciary obligations to maintain and protect the interests of the trust/University to the fullest extent possible? I feel like retaining/maintaining Al Golden is grounds for breach of the fiduciary duties by proceeding with actual knowledge that it is harming the University's revenue.

What the F are you F ing talking about??? Now you want to sue Golden? Holy F. There are more important things to worry about.

Even if frivolous, the suit itself would grab headlines and humiliate the University. The lawsuit would provide a forum to publish EVERYTHING (facts, stats, subjective opinions) in the Complaint and it would be public record that could/would be published in every media outlet.

Don't the Board of Trustees have fiduciary obligations to maintain and protect the interests of the trust/University to the fullest extent possible? I feel like retaining/maintaining Al Golden is grounds for breach of the fiduciary duties by proceeding with actual knowledge that it is harming the University's revenue.

What the F are you F ing talking about??? Now you want to sue Golden? Holy F. There are more important things to worry about.

Can you read? Seriously, can you read?

Advertisement

Please elaborate.

It's best to get the word out to as many as possible about the idiocy of some of this fanbase.

Slurping all day long, keep up the good work.

Just because there are fans who arent idiotic doesnt make us "slurpers". And by the way, this is a super idiotic idea.

Why is it idiotic?

Is there any rational reason to keep Al employed? Seems like a complete waste of the university's assets. Is it in our school's best interest to retain him?

A slurper is not just a supporter. It includes anyone who tries to prevent progress.

Advertisement
Spike,
You know you're my man and all, but I think you're missing the creativity of this approach. Its not a banner, not a nasty internet article, etc. Its an intellectual approach using the legal system to force the leadership at UM to do their assigned duty in managing the program correctly.

More to the point, its an approach that the people who refuse to do their jobs can understand, will get their attention and perhaps move them to action.

I ******* love it!! I hope you lawyer guys can brainstorm an approach that is feasible. Then we can go to work on getting you some funding. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the higher end posters here who wouldn't donate to a banner or billboard would be more likely to donate to something like this.

Al Golden's and Blake James' employment is costing students millions of dollars in guarantee contracts in the NFL.

Advertisement
Back